Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - School-Age Racism

School-Age Racism

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: School-Age Racism

Postby Chris Hart » Wed 11.22.2006 11:14 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Dehitay wrote:
Geez, does it really have to be explained? Hidden genes can still affect future generations. If a pale skinned halfy marries a person that isn't black and then they have a baby, you would except from looking at the parents, the baby won't be black. So if the baby does turn out black, it's unexpected and such a thought can be funny.

However, I still think the funniest situation would be for a caucasian to marry an east asian, adopt a black child, and name it Ackmed (purposely misspelled). Imagine the look on the teacher's face the first time he/she is introduced to the parents of the child.

i fail to find the humor. and I don't need an explanation of genes and how they are affected by intermarriage.

** Scratches head **
I can't see it either.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby debu » Wed 11.22.2006 11:51 pm

Anyone have anything else to add about the original question on Japanese school racism? I’m interested in the answer as well but it seems like the topic has detoured quite a bit. Mr. Cash, if you don't mind my asking, do your kids look Japanese or do they stand out?
debu

Postby datdo » Wed 11.22.2006 11:58 pm

um...why are people getting all bent out of shape if your not the joke?...I'm black(haitian not african) and I was joking in my last post. I didn't think people would actually be offended by Mr Hensha's joke-like-thing...
datdo

Postby KNH » Thu 11.23.2006 12:33 am

Ah, datdo, you're a fellow Haitian. That's good to know.

Well, I'll take a stab at trying to answer your question, datdo. Not every one has the same sense of humor as you and Mr. Hensha apparently do. I didn't happen to find it funny either.
KNH

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 11.23.2006 5:38 am

debu wrote:
Anyone have anything else to add about the original question on Japanese school racism? I’m interested in the answer as well but it seems like the topic has detoured quite a bit. Mr. Cash, if you don't mind my asking, do your kids look Japanese or do they stand out?

Japanese think they look "American" and whites think they look Japanese.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 11.23.2006 10:02 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Japanese think they look "American" and whites think they look Japanese.

I know one person like this and one person who is the exact opposite (i.e. claimed by both races :D). I wonder what features are being recognized in each person.
keatonatron

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 11.23.2006 2:22 pm

Well, technically black people from Haiti can still call themselves African because if you go back a couple hundred years there weren't any black people in Haiti but they were forced to move there by Europeans from Africa. Same thing applies to white people who call themselves American, they can still technically call themselves European because if you go back far enough all white people are from Europe.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby TrilinguisT » Thu 11.23.2006 4:19 pm

i think what hensha meant was : what if a caucasion guy marries and japanese girl and their child comes out black? so the japanese girl cheated ... i dont find that funny seeing how the only victim only to come out of it is the child ..
TrilinguisT

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.23.2006 5:38 pm

Same thing applies to white people who call themselves American, they can still technically call themselves European because if you go back far enough all white people are from Europe.

and if you go back far enough all white people are from Africa. By your logic, everyone can call themselves Africans.

Technically, I'd say it's unreasonable to call yourself anything further removed than 3 generations. If your great grandfather, your grandfather, and your father were born in America, face it, you're an American.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 11.23.2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kisshu » Thu 11.23.2006 6:38 pm

Woooow.. yikes.. I was just aking how the racism would be for a half-american in a Japanese school.... I didn't mean for this topic to offend anyone... man. When did this talk about hispanics, and blacks and whatever get in here... I just asked a simple question.. no need to get carried away, ne?
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby datdo » Fri 11.24.2006 5:08 pm

why are hispanics and blacks grouped to gether with whatever? jk jk.

I agree with Infidels idea. I like to be different. In my town, if I say I'm black then i'm immediately grouped with "ghetto" half of town when I technically live on the border. By saying that I'm Haitian I'm only grouped to a couple of particular streets...none of which I live on.
datdo

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.25.2006 4:39 am

datdo wrote:
why are hispanics and blacks grouped to gether with whatever? jk jk.

I agree with Infidels idea. I like to be different. In my town, if I say I'm black then i'm immediately grouped with "ghetto" half of town when I technically live on the border. By saying that I'm Haitian I'm only grouped to a couple of particular streets...none of which I live on.

Just enjoy the occasional chance to shoot down people's stereotypes.

In Japan, practically everybody assumes that because I'm white I'm an English teacher. I was once mistaken for a Mormon missionary, merely because I spoke passable Japanese.
Mike Cash

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.26.2006 12:56 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I was once mistaken for a Mormon missionary, merely because I spoke passable Japanese.

I actually saw some 2 weeks ago. On their bikes n everything just like back in the states.

As for me

Ppl dont really know what I am so they assume Im Half Japanese half something else. Which has its ups and its downs.

its good though cuz ppl dont stare at me as much.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan