Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Finding an apartment in Tokyo (Minato-ku)

Finding an apartment in Tokyo (Minato-ku)

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Finding an apartment in Tokyo (Minato-ku)

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 11.25.2006 2:28 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
To function in japan your need to speak and understand japanese or else your just goig to be a hermit. (unless your with the military etc...)

Not when you manage to marry a Japanese woman/man who wipes your behind and looks after everything for you from the paperwork through to going to the hospital. I couldn't tell you how many of these knumbskulls like this there are around.

The worst I came across was a man living in Japan for twenty years running an English school. His wife looks after all the administration, all his visa paperwork, and deals with his customers whilst he teaches English.
Couldn't string a sentence together or couldn't even read the drinks menu in the bar in katakana. No word of a lie, he told me that he detroyed his last car when going to the self serve petrol station(he avoids the serviced ones because he can't speak anything) and accidentally put diesel in his car because he couldn't read "premium" in katakana.

And there are no shortage of these people.

I would like to know, being Japanese why on earth would you learn anything from these knuckleheads, as they can't even apply their own teaching/learning methods when it comes to Japanese?

Why would anyone want to live in japan without learning the language? That also does not make sense.

So they can teach English and earn five times the amount they would normally make in their own countries.

Doesn't make any sense to me either.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.25.2006 4:31 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

Not necessarily. There are any number of folks who stay here for decades and live quite happily never even approaching anything resembling proficiency.

You're going to be here how much longer, exactly?

Sorry dude that doesnt make anysense what so ever.

So you mean not functioning as a memeber or society is being happy? Because to function in japan your need to speak and understand japanese or else your just goig to be a hermit. (unless your with the military etc...)

Different strokes for different folks, homey.

Personally, I find it just as bizarre as you do. Yet such people do in fact exist. I like the dignity of being able to function as a literate adult, without the need for others to follow me around and wipe my figurative ass for me. Some people are perfectly comfortable having to drag a spouse, secretary, or child around with them and have everything done for them. As I said, I don't understand how they can stand it...but they do exist.

2nd why would anyone want to live in japan without learning the language? That also does not make sense.

Things don't have to make sense in order to exist.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.25.2006 4:56 am

No word of a lie, he told me that he detroyed his last car when going to the self serve petrol station(he avoids the serviced ones because he can't speak

This is interesting. Last I heard, they didn't have self-serve gas stations in Japan. I'm not surprised it changed, just curious as to when it did.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.25.2006 5:08 am

The change started slowly about 5 years ago.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.25.2006 5:14 am

are they still rare, or overtaking the full-service stations?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.25.2006 6:07 am

Pretty rare. I've never seen one.

Matsumoto,
You're lucky Mike didn't write you a soul-crushing reply this time, but starting a reply to a post with "Sorry dude that doesnt make anysense what so ever." is quite rude--especially when the post you're replying to is 100% accurate.

Just because someone mentions something that you haven't personally seen in Japan doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You won't see these illiterate people in high school with you (because going to school requires literacy) but if you happen to start working amongst other foreigners you will see many of them.
keatonatron

Postby Oyaji » Sat 11.25.2006 6:56 am

Apparently self-service stations were legalized in 1998, but it took a while to catch on. They are becoming quite common in Kyushu, and it seems like I see a new one opening almost every week. People rely on cars a lot more here than in Kantou, so I guess the difference isn't surprising.
Oyaji

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.25.2006 7:10 am

I remember the news when the first one opened. I believe it was in Gunma or Nagano, can't remember which. I do remember that it caused quite a bit of controversy, though.

The pace has been picking up lately. You can even find some that are combined with convenience stores, coffee shops, or fast food joints (McDonalds).

There's even a "semi-self-serve" station not far from me. They pump your gas for you, but if you want your trash taken out, you're welcome to walk it over to the trash can yourself. They don't accept credit cards, don't help you get back into traffic, and are generally 2 or 3 yen per liter cheaper than most places. I suspect that is because they're not affiliated with a name brand chain.

The most interesting quirk about self-serve stations in Japan is that they're not always cheaper than full-service. There are a few stations which have mixed self- and full-service, but I'm not sure if they offer a discount for pumping your own gas.

I drive an old Subaru Rex and my personal driving is largely confined to commuting to work (15km round trip). I use so little gas each month that I don't worry about the price and just go to whatever station is handy.

At work, I pump my own and generally run through about 80-90 liters per day of diesel.

Here's an old article I did on the subject for a webzine in 1999.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Sat 11.25.2006 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.25.2006 7:47 am

Mike Cash wrote:
They don't accept credit cards, don't help you get back into traffic, and are generally 2 or 3 yen per liter cheaper than most places. I suspect that is because they're not affiliated with a name brand chain.

And the fact that they make their own gas in a modified freezer unit out back.
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.25.2006 8:38 am

Hey, as long as it burns....
Mike Cash

Postby Oyaji » Sat 11.25.2006 10:14 am

Mike Cash wrote:
There's even a "semi-self-serve" station not far from me. They pump your gas for you, but if you want your trash taken out, you're welcome to walk it over to the trash can yourself.

Ironically, some of the "self-serve" places do everything but pump your gas. While you are pumping the gas, they wash your windows and check your tires and oil. I think they do it out of boredom.
Oyaji

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.25.2006 12:33 pm

Maybe some people like that "rugged American feel" of pumping their own gas, but deep down inside they're still Japanese people who like clean, professional service.

That or they're afraid the servicepeople will cheat them out of some gas by pouring it into a container when the customer isn't looking and sticking it on their bill. High gas prices make people do crazy things you know!
keatonatron

Postby Tesu » Sat 11.25.2006 8:19 pm

Well, this thread has managed to goo wayyyy O/T, but never mind :P

I did just want to reply to this little gem though:

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Ive been here 3 months and Im halfway to 2 kyuu. Study hard my friend or else you WILL have a bad experience.

[Fixed quotes -Paul]

There is no way in a million years you came to Japan with no previous knowledge and are closing in on 2kyuu after 3 months. Unless your going to tell me you take 8 hours of language lessons a day and do nothing else with your time, maybe that I could believe. Right now, having to work a full time job makes that kind of progress impossible.

So yes, I call BS on that one.

Incidentally, this "you WILL have a bad experience" is utter crap too. I'm having a great experience now even with my pathetically slow rate of improvement ;) Likewise I know tons of people here who can hardly say anything yet are having a great time.

Is Matsumoto_hideto a troll I was too slow to pick up on?
Tesu

Postby Ozymandias » Sat 11.25.2006 8:32 pm

2nd why would anyone want to live in japan without learning the language? That also does not make sense.

Quite a simple answer to this one. Ignorance and laziness.

"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star." - Confucius
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

平仮名: 48/48, 片仮名: 48/48, 漢字: 6/1945
Ozymandias

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 11.25.2006 10:18 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, homey.

Personally, I find it just as bizarre as you do. Yet such people do in fact exist. I like the dignity of being able to function as a literate adult, without the need for others to follow me around and wipe my figurative ass for me. Some people are perfectly comfortable having to drag a spouse, secretary, or child around with them and have everything done for them. As I said, I don't understand how they can stand it...but they do exist.

Im with you on that one. Honestly you have to be a pretty pathetic excuse of a human being to move to a foriegn country and depend on your spouse to do everything for you.

Things don't have to make sense in order to exist.

I also agree with that. Often times they dont.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan