Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Becoming a model in Japan! YES, IN JAPAN!

Becoming a model in Japan! YES, IN JAPAN!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Becoming a model in Japan! YES, IN JAPAN!

Postby kukkii » Wed 11.22.2006 5:41 pm

Yesh, I know -- out of all the topics out there, there's this one with a title along the lines of...
"I WANT TO BE A MODEL IN JAPAN PLEASE!" Hahaha!
I seriously either want to be a supermodel or a fashion designer in Japan!
I'M NOT KIDDING EITHER! I love being a prep, heehee. ^^;

Anyways, back to the subject -- is it possible to become a supermodel/model in Japan?
I've seen some ads in Japanese fashion magazines such as "Seventeen" of non-Japanese models.
I'm Asian, and I look pretty much Asian soo maybe I can be a supermodel in Japan?
OH~ And are there usually auditions to become models for fashion magazines / makeup companies in Japan too?
Or shows similar to "America's Next Top Model" in Japan? (It's on tonight! EEK! Must watch!)
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

RE: Becoming a model in Japan! YES, IN JAPAN!

Postby paul_b » Wed 11.22.2006 5:48 pm

kukkii wrote:
I'm Asian, and I look pretty much Asian soo maybe I can be a supermodel in Japan?

Looking Asian isn't necessarily an advantage.

Anyway, yes it is possible. It is possible that my (former) boss might win the national lottery and, in a fit of guilt, decide to give me 769,993 pounds and 23 pence.

Frankly it's far more likely that you'll risk falling for one of the many scams - if you're lucky you'll just lose a lot of money. The other possibilities I probably shouldn't go into on a family friendly forum but you can probably guess.
paul_b

Postby kukkii » Wed 11.22.2006 6:08 pm

oh... poo. >.<;
what's the reason that I can't?
Oh, and how did non-Japanese get to be on ads of Japanese fashion magazines?
Last edited by kukkii on Wed 11.22.2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

Postby paul_b » Wed 11.22.2006 6:34 pm

It's just a matter of statistics.

Number of people who want to be models >>>>>>>>>>>> Number of people who become models.
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.22.2006 9:24 pm

If you're Asian, you'd better be world-class super-hot. The Japanese, being Asians themselves, aren't automatically impressed with the beauty of every Asian woman they see. You'd have better luck peddling your wares in a predominantly white country.

On the other hand, quite a few whites flock to Japan to work as models. Sadly, some of them delude themselves into thinking that their ability to obtain work is somehow due to their inherent beauty and not to the less discerning tastes of the Japanese, many of whom think any white chick is good looking.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 11.22.2006 9:37 pm

kukkii wrote:
......is it possible to become a supermodel......?

The Body Shop used to have T-shirts with the slogan "There are xxx billion women in the world and only 8 super models" (xxx = number I can't recall)

Good luck ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby keatonatron » Thu 11.23.2006 9:42 am

paul_b wrote:
kukkii wrote:

Looking Asian isn't necessarily an advantage.

So true.

For example:

We need 20 caucasian models and 50 Asian/Japanese models.
There are 40 caucasian people in Japan who want to work as models, and 5000 Japanese people in Japan who want to work as models.

And the Japanese models speak perfect Japanese. Why would someone choose the 1 person who doesn't speak fluent Japanese when the other 4999 do?
keatonatron

Postby kukkii » Thu 11.23.2006 6:38 pm

Well, I'M NOT GIVING UP~! >.<"
If becoming a supermodel in Japan means that I have to be fluent, then I WILL BE FLUENT IN JAPANESE!!
BELIEVE IT! I WON'T GIVE UP!!!! No matter how HARD it might take to get my dreams to come true,
I. WILL. DO. IT!!!! Hahaha, I'm soo determined though!

Mike Cash wrote:
If you're Asian, you'd better be world-class super-hot. The Japanese, being Asians themselves, aren't automatically impressed with the beauty of every Asian woman they see. You'd have better luck peddling your wares in a predominantly white country.

On the other hand, quite a few whites flock to Japan to work as models. Sadly, some of them delude themselves into thinking that their ability to obtain work is somehow due to their inherent beauty and not to the less discerning tastes of the Japanese, many of whom think any white chick is good looking.

Yeah, I know that beauty isn't the only thing --
It's fluent in the language of the country you want to work in, and how hard you work up to that point just to reach that goal.
I think that once you set your mind to something really important to you, then nothing is entirely impossible.
Just show that you're determined, head strong, and will overcome anything just to get want you want.
Anyways, Japanese look down on other Asians' beauty? That's surprising.
Last edited by kukkii on Thu 11.23.2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukkii

Postby Mr Hensha » Thu 11.23.2006 6:50 pm

In America, if the model's can't speak clear English, it gives them a foreign-effect, so many guys would fall for them.
AAWEEEAA!! この世界は私達の世界〜SOHL
ミヤビです!
Mr Hensha

Postby kukkii » Thu 11.23.2006 7:45 pm

That's true -- it's probably the same thing in Japan so..
I'M GOING TO BECOME FLUENT AND NATIVE SOUNDING IN JAPANESE NO MATTER WHAT!
kukkii

Postby Tesu » Thu 11.23.2006 8:36 pm

hmm, how old are you again?

I'm really curious to actually see a picture too. The only reason I say that is because the majority of people I've met in the past who are mega desperate to be models have never been particularly good looking.

If your mega mega hot, you have a chance. Otherwise, I'd look into a different line of work.
Tesu

Postby kukkii » Thu 11.23.2006 9:10 pm

I'm 13 years old, turning 14 this Dec. 4! YAY!!!
ARGH! I don't have any recent photos of me only from the past which was like when I was, oh I don't know... 11!! O__O;
I'll take a photo of myself once I get the bateries needed
then you can rate it then! XD
If anybody has seen the episode of this week's America's Next Top Model, most of the models' -- except Eugena -- natural look wasn't very pretty actually.

EDIT: Actually, I think I do have a picture of myself in camera, however it's a distance view of me, not full up, and you can't see my eyes because of the camera too. I took it over the summer, but I don't think it counts 'cause you can't see my eyes. X3 But if it does, I'll upload it! ^^;
Last edited by kukkii on Thu 11.23.2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukkii

Postby Tesu » Thu 11.23.2006 11:11 pm

kukkii wrote:
I'm 13 years old, turning 14 this Dec. 4! YAY!!!
ARGH! I don't have any recent photos of me only from the past which was like when I was, oh I don't know... 11!! O__O;

That's okay, I doubt I need to see a picture ;)

At 13, you have plenty of time to decide what you want to do in life, don't worry about it. I won't advise you against trying to learn Japanese, but don't put yourself under too much pressure to achieve fluency anytime soon.
Tesu

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.24.2006 1:12 am

First, since the majority of models don't speak (people with speaking roles are called actors), it doesn't matter what the viewers of your ads/posters/whatever (i.e. customers) think of your voice, but it's important to be able to communicate well when working with the photographers and casting agents. Especially since they probably won't be using everyday Japanese (imagine "Can you scrunch your abdomen in just a skosh? Now give me a cutesy Yukiko Kawano face.").

Second, it's extremely hard to do only modelling as a profession. You need a normal job so you can get by during the month(s) between shoots while you're waiting for more work. Especially when it comes to advertising, they always want new/different faces and don't want to use models that other companies have used, so you might only get one job every 3 months or so. Think you can survive on one $500 check every 3 months? ;) I'd assume clothing models would get a bit more work, but it's still not enough to survive off of.

Of course some people do make a profession out of it, but that takes a lot of time. So what will you do for a steady income for the first 5-10 years living in Japan?
keatonatron

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Fri 11.24.2006 2:10 am

Haha Im gonna laugh when you go for a modeling audition and you end up doing JAVs

(although I hope that doesnt happen)
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan