Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Flying Saucers

Flying Saucers

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Flying Saucers

Postby Tobe » Fri 11.24.2006 11:35 am

I put this in the off topic forum because it has nothing to do with learning Japanese language. I was wondering if many Japanese people, young or old, are interested in the UFO phenomenon and in particular the Roswell Incident of July 1947.
Ah, so desuka? Hai!
Tobe

RE: Flying Saucers

Postby paul_b » Fri 11.24.2006 11:48 am

Tobe wrote:
I put this in the off topic forum because it has nothing to do with learning Japanese language. I was wondering if many Japanese people, young or old, are interested in the UFO phenomenon and in particular the Roswell Incident of July 1947.

It can go in the Culture forum (and I'll move it there in a 'mo).

In any case there is a fairly thriving interest in UFOs and such in Japan. Compared with the UK it's muddled up with psychics and superstition. For example a common theme is that you can telepathically call UFOs to you (sometimes with the aid of suspicious ceremonies involving groups of people).
paul_b

Postby ashitaka » Fri 11.24.2006 12:56 pm

In any case there is a fairly thriving interest in UFOs and such in Japan. Compared with the UK it's muddled up with psychics and superstition. For example a common theme is that you can telepathically call UFOs to you (sometimes with the aid of suspicious ceremonies involving groups of people).

It's not like in the U.S.A where the believers are constatly afraid of being abducted and/or probed (well some people want to)

Incase you want to know, this ritual is a gaijin has to out drink two sallerymen, then you become the beer god and command the aliens telepathically. jk.

It's not as big of a group as say, in the states but still fairly big.
ashitaka

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.24.2006 12:57 pm

paul_b wrote:
sometimes with the aid of suspicious ceremonies involving groups of people

So that's what led to the creation of that genre of adult videos.

[/off-color joke]
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Tobe » Mon 11.27.2006 10:47 am

Thanks for your help. I was not aware of the psychic dimension of the OFU followers in Japan. Here in America it is almost a religion. Even the terminology, Believers and Non-believers, has a religious overtone. However, not wishing to wander into religion, I was wondering if anyone else out there had a handle on the japanese thoughts about the Roswell incident in particular. Maybe that story just did not resonate in Japan the way it did in the Amerikagasshukoku. I would like to know... Even if there would be, say, a comic book on the subject.
Ah, so desuka? Hai!
Tobe

Postby paul_b » Mon 11.27.2006 10:55 am

Tobe wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else out there had a handle on the japanese thoughts about the Roswell incident in particular. Maybe that story just did not resonate in Japan the way it did in the Amerikagasshukoku. I would like to know... Even if there would be, say, a comic book on the subject.

Well I know that they (or at least some of them) know of the 'Roswell incident' but that's about all I know.
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.29.2006 5:11 am

A few years ago a Japanese town was in the news because, reportedly, they had plans to build a UFO museum (and landing strip, if I recall correctly).

I went to google info about the museum and it appears there is some controversy surrounding it. Anyone who actually gives a damn (not me) is invited to root around the web: http://tinyurl.com/yyova5
Mike Cash

Postby paul_b » Wed 11.29.2006 5:29 am

Mike Cash wrote:
A few years ago a Japanese town was in the news because, reportedly, they had plans to build a UFO museum (and landing strip, if I recall correctly).

I went to google info about the museum and it appears there is some controversy surrounding it. Anyone who actually gives a damn (not me) is invited to root around the web: http://tinyurl.com/yyova5

Congratulations, it even ties back into Roswell

http://www.ufo.se/ufofiles/english/issue_3/japmus2.htm
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 11.29.2006 5:49 am

i spent many a night out in the Arizona desert trying to get picked up by a UFO... sadly nothing ever happened. :(

but UFOs are nothing considering that Jesus Christ himself lived in and is burried in northern Japan (Japan is also the home to the lost 13th tribe of Israel just in case you didn't know... ).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/5326614.stm

all of those weird Shinto religous practices are just thinly veiled and slightly corrupted ancient Hebrew religious practices... right down to the little frilly things on the arms of their robes, the little box thing on their forehead, and even the ancient way of counting numbers... !!!!

:)
zengargoyle

Postby paul_b » Wed 11.29.2006 6:14 am

zengargoyle wrote:
i spent many a night out in the Arizona desert trying to get picked up by a UFO... sadly nothing ever happened. :(

That's what _you_ think ... oops, I may have given too much away there. :p
paul_b

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.29.2006 10:19 am

zengargoyle wrote:

but UFOs are nothing considering that Jesus Christ himself lived in and is burried in northern Japan (Japan is also the home to the lost 13th tribe of Israel just in case you didn't know... ).

that grave site, having seen it myself, is just a marker.. if you read the text it says nothing about jesus being buried there. Just that he would be there. And, just in case you weren't aware, with only 12 sons, there can only be 12 tribes. someone has some bad wheaties to go along with their abduction obsession
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.29.2006 11:51 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
zengargoyle wrote:

that grave site, having seen it myself, is just a marker.. if you read the text it says nothing about jesus being buried there. Just that he would be there. And, just in case you weren't aware, with only 12 sons, there can only be 12 tribes. someone has some bad wheaties to go along with their abduction obsession

He also had daughters. Also, that guy's 4 wives has always made me wonder about the Old Testament's view on polygomy.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.29.2006 2:36 pm

dehitay the lineage did not run through the daughters of Israel.. it didn't happen. and the bible has a few cases of polygamy in it. the old testament definately had it mentioned.. oh at least a few times.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Thu 11.30.2006 12:27 am

Did you notice the word "lost" up there? That means "the tribe that wasn't mentioned in the Bible". It's a "fix-all" word that makes any theory "possible" :D
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.30.2006 10:12 am

keatonatron wrote:
Did you notice the word "lost" up there? That means "the tribe that wasn't mentioned in the Bible". It's a "fix-all" word that makes any theory "possible" :D

oh that's right the tribe that stole the holy grail.. gotcha.. they are at the round table.. with king arthur i think.. the coconutladenswallow tribe.
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan