Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: New Years

Postby tanuki » Tue 11.28.2006 2:33 pm

This is a bizarre thread.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Tue 11.28.2006 5:27 pm

I thought Elvis preferred deep-fried cheeseburgers over chili...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Hatori » Tue 11.28.2006 7:46 pm

wow... how did we get into the topic of stars!?
anyways, i'm going to look on wikipedia and research some stuff about new years while i look up about immigrants for school... haha. i have to add some stuff to the list now. :)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Ozymandias » Tue 11.28.2006 8:09 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I thought Elvis preferred deep-fried cheeseburgers over chili...

Tony

Yeah but he can't eat what I don't have. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

平仮名: 48/48, 片仮名: 48/48, 漢字: 6/1945
Ozymandias

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Wed 11.29.2006 3:04 am

To be honest in japan all they do is Drink until they cant tell their Right from their Left.

wait... thats what they do everyday....
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.29.2006 5:06 am

Hatori wrote:

who's hank williams? ;) is he like an old star or something??

In heaven, God sits at the right hand of Hank Williams.

Excuse me while I go weep for the lost youth of America.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.29.2006 10:14 am

OH boy.. while being an Icon of country music, he way way before even your time Mike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Williams

interstingly enough he only lived to be 30 years of age and is still considered one of the most influential song writer/performers in the 20th century.

However, not being a fan of honkytonk and twangy country, he really didn't do much for me.
two_heads_talking

Postby ashitaka » Wed 11.29.2006 10:54 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
To be honest in japan all they do is Drink until they cant tell their Right from their Left.

wait... thats what they do everyday....

And in memory of my home country, I do that too, I shall return one day and out drink every sallery-man out there! That would be a great new years, or i could just stay here and sit on my couch and have a nice nap.
ashitaka

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 11.30.2006 4:44 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
OH boy.. while being an Icon of country music, he way way before even your time Mike.

Galileo, Newton, da Vinci, Mozart, Beethoven, etc were all way way before our time too. So what?

interstingly enough he only lived to be 30 years of age and is still considered one of the most influential song writer/performers in the 20th century.

No, he lived to be 29. Born Sept. 17th, 1923 (which, being my personal High Holy Day I didn't need to look up) and assumed his rightful place on the Throne at some indeterminate time on either Dec. 31, 1952 or Jan. 1, 1953 in the back of a hired car while on the way to a date in Canton, Ohio.

Patsy Cline died at about 31, I think. Jim Reeves made it to around 40 or so. Both remain icons to this day. In the biography linked below, the author made the point that a well-timed death is a great career move.

The definitive biography

The great tragedy was that Hiram Williams was trapped in the body and destroyed by the persona/legend of Hank Williams.

However, not being a fan of honkytonk and twangy country, he really didn't do much for me.

Last I heard he still sells around a million albums a year. Not bad for a guy who has been dead for over half a century.

Whether his music personally does anything for you or not, his biography makes a very interesting read and gives a good insight into the early, formative period of the country music industry. The man and his music were a considerable influence on the musicians of his day and on the musicians who followed, even those outside the country genre. While today he may be considered by many to be merely an iconic image of the status quo of country music of his time, the facts are that he was the original "Outlaw" of country music, paving the way for and preceding by a couple of decades later iconic artists such as Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and others who refused to fit the industry mold. There is a reason he is still held in such high regard and why his songs have been covered by so many other artists...and why songs have been written in homage to the man and legend himself.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.30.2006 10:21 am

By the way, Mike, I was merely making fun of your age.. that's the so what.. I figured, that you of all people would have caught that. I guess you were too caught up in the glitz of the fame of the name.. I won't be so subtle next time and just call you OLD MAN.

That was one of the reasons I posted up that link. even though I may find nothing appealing about him, I realize that others might find something interesting.

Believe me, growing up with parents who were teenagers when he died, and who listen to him, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins and about 3 dozen others I certainly am aware of where Country music got it's wheels. That doesn't mean that I have enjoy his music. Honky Tonk just never sounded good to me. It's one of the reasons that I can't listen to half of the music Elvis performed. It is also a reason that twangy country music doesn't appeal to me either. Just a personal preference and a perfectly legitimate one.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 11.30.2006 2:54 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
By the way, Mike, I was merely making fun of your age.. that's the so what.. I figured, that you of all people would have caught that. I guess you were too caught up in the glitz of the fame of the name.. I won't be so subtle next time and just call you OLD MAN.

Subtlety isn't your strong hold. You came across more as sounding like the typical modern person who believes that history began the day he was born. And since you and I are only about two years apart, why on on earth would I be expecting an age-related jibe from you of all people....OLD MAN?
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.30.2006 3:00 pm

No, I suppose I am not subtle at all. And if my post came across as one who believes that history started when I was born, I supppose then I totally didn't represent it correctly.

Besides with our age being similar the "old man" is not only a poke at you but at myself as well. I do believe you said once that being able to make fun on oneself is a major part of humor. By calling you old, I am also calling myself old as well. ....
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Fri 12.01.2006 12:50 am

If James Dean hadn't died so young I'm positive he wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Mishima had a lot to say on the subject, too. (although, not involving James Dean)
keatonatron

Postby datdo » Fri 12.01.2006 1:21 am

hhmmm....this hank williams seems kinda like Tupac....
datdo

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.01.2006 1:24 am

datdo wrote:
hhmmm....this hank williams seems kinda like Tupac....

ROFLMAO
Just thinking about the way Mike will reply to this is overloading my sense of humor. I don't know why, but I get the impression that he probly hates rap (and may possibly not know who Tupac is). And when I say "I don't know why", I apparently mean I do know why and it's cause of the characteristics he has >=D
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan