Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hair and society

Hair and society

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Hair and society

Postby thomeb » Tue 12.05.2006 12:46 pm

I have been wondering about:

1- The acceptance of a hairy body in japanese society. How is a hairy person perceived in a bathhouse for example(or anywhere)? Are any discriminatory remarks to be expected (Someone like Chuck Norris, only without being a celebrity)? What about a full beard?
2- If someone knows any movies/anime (whatever genre) that accurately shows japanese society as it is, please let me know the name. I am interested in the daily routine of an average individual/family that might show minor details that most people are not interested in.

Thanks in advance for your insights!
thomeb

RE: Hair and society

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 12.05.2006 1:28 pm

Are you an abomninable snowman hidden under that Ultra man suit there?

Being a foreigner and going into a bathhouse, usually your endowment is the first place discreetly investigated.

I am not Robin Williams hairy although, I am sporting a light persian rug on my chest(erase that mental picture please) As an everyday bathouse frequenter, I haven't come across anything discriminatory regarding body hair. I would say though that generally Japanese are not very hairy people, but it is not so uncommon for me to see people sporting beards, goaties, dickbrooms, and other facial hair either. As long as when you get out of the bath your hair isn't left floating, you will be fine.

However, the high school I work at prohibits me to have facial hair, I don't know country wide if that is a common workplace rule or not sorry.

Some useless information: Hideki Saijo is a hairy Japanese idol(I love that guy, bless him) In his heyday, he was so popular and hairy, the snail trail as I know it (a mans hair from his privates to his navel) is affectionately known here as a ギャランドゥー named after a big hit of his.
Last edited by Kagemaru on Tue 12.05.2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby hikari_01 » Tue 12.05.2006 1:38 pm

most japanese girls (mostly teens?) remove almost all their body hair right? that's what my exchange student said. she even removed the hair from her arms.
hikari_01

Postby thomeb » Tue 12.05.2006 1:51 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
Are you an abomninable snowman hidden under that Ultra man suit there?

Hmmm, yeaaahh.... :( only that I think the abominable snowman is kind of fluffy. I might be something like Dr. Zaius his son. ;) B) . BTW, that is Spectreman; but I think Ultraman would definitely beat him up. Spectreman only cares about the environment..

Being a foreigner and going into a bathhouse, usually your endowment is the first place discreetly investigated.

I am not Robin Williams hairy although, I am sporting a light persian rug on my chest(erase that mental picture please) As an everyday bathouse frequenter, I haven't come across anything discriminatory regarding body hair. I would say though that generally Japanese are not very hairy people, but it is not so uncommon for me to see people sporting beards, goaties, dickbrooms, and other facial hair either. As long as when you get out of the bath your hair isn't left floating, you will be fine.

However, the high school I work at prohibits me to have facial hair, I don't know country wide if that is a common workplace rule or not sorry.

Some useless information: Hideki Saijo is a hairy Japanese idol(I love that guy, bless him) In his heyday, he was so popular and hairy, the snail trail as I know it (a mans hair from his privates to his navel) is affectionately known here as a ギャランドゥー named after a big hit of his.

Thanks, that is a big help already. More opinions are very welcome!

hikari_01 wrote:
most japanese girls (mostly teens?) remove almost all their body hair right? that's what my exchange student said. she even removed the hair from her arms.

So.. I would not be a big hit with the girls there? If so, that's really sad :(
Edit:I mean, what hikari_01 says, gives me that impression.
Last edited by thomeb on Tue 12.05.2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomeb

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan