Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Rice, tea and sugar

Rice, tea and sugar

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Rice, tea and sugar

Postby thomeb » Tue 12.05.2006 1:31 pm

My grandmother (now 75 years old) told me the other day about her youth and how she often visited her japanese friend(s). She told me about her and the family eating rice with tea, something I never heard of until that day (few weeks ago). Today, I saw the Otaku film :o (Train man) and there was this couple who were about to eat it the same way.

-I wanted to know if this meal has a proper name and about how common it is today. (Please help me out :) )

-Here is another one: Do ppl in Japan usually put sugar in their tea? (my experience: In Egypt, Brazil: sweet. In Germany: usually no sugar at all)

Thanks for reading and sharing!
thomeb

RE: Rice, tea and sugar

Postby paul_b » Tue 12.05.2006 1:40 pm

thomeb wrote:
My grandmother (now 75 years old) told me the other day about her youth and how she often visited her japanese friend(s). She told me about her and the family eating rice with tea, something I never heard of until that day (few weeks ago). Today, I saw the Otaku film :o (Train man) and there was this couple who were about to eat it the same way.

-I wanted to know if this meal has a proper name and about how common it is today. (Please help me out :) )

茶飯 【ちゃめし】 (n) rice boiled in tea (and) flavored with sake and shoyu (flavoured)

Now hands up who thought that was read ちゃはん ^ ^;
paul_b

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 12.05.2006 1:42 pm

Yes, it is called: ochazuke

Very common. Seeing as now is getting cold, I eat it for breakfast.
A few variations you can mix with the rice before you pour tea or hot water over it.

Delicious!!
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.05.2006 2:03 pm

i do not think i ever saw any Japanese drinking sweet teas in japan. especially not the type of sweet tea one thinks of when they think of the south.. (that comment is directly related to the former confederate states)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby datdo » Tue 12.05.2006 2:23 pm

If I recall correctly....in most asian countries, people traditionally didn't put sugar in their tea ... something about ruining the tea ... though Westernization has made it more common.
datdo

Postby thomeb » Tue 12.05.2006 3:14 pm

No sugar it is... then. ;)

Ochazuke, I should try it out, thnx--
thomeb

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan