Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How To Bow

How To Bow

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

How To Bow

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 12.05.2006 6:48 pm

Has anybody ever seen this website?
hxxp://www.how-to-bow.com

It's a pretty interesting approach to teaching you how to bow, and other customs.

So to ask a question, has anybody here ran into problems with not "properly bowing",
awkward exchanges? Is it something that happens a lot, or not such a big deal?
Would you say it's something important to look into, or just learn along the way when you're there?
Hopefully I put this thread in the right place.
Last edited by burstandbloom on Tue 12.05.2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

RE: How To Bow

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 12.05.2006 7:19 pm

I was unable to open that link, pardon me.

burstandbloom wrote:
has anybody here ran into problems with not "properly bowing"

Yes I have.

I eventually needed to take a 1 day course in business card - 名刺 giving/receiving
due largely to upteen embarrassing moments.

I'm very happy I took that course. Invaluable.

burstandbloom wrote:
Is it something that happens a lot, or not such a big deal?

This one, I feel depends on your knowledge of Japanese as a language and culture. There are certain things Japanese in general do not expect foreigners to know although, I work with a Turkish gentleman, who speaks Japanese very well and more is expected of him than I when it comes to customary applications. Likewise, in situations where I am the stronger speaker in a group, more is expected of me than others, so on and so forth.

burstandbloom wrote:
Would you say it's something important to look into, or just learn along the way when you're there?

While you're here is my two cents worth.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby paul_b » Tue 12.05.2006 7:21 pm

Kagemaru wrote:

I'm not surprised. What the heck is hxxp:// supposed to be?
paul_b

Postby Takeo Saeki » Tue 12.05.2006 7:30 pm

LOL I didn't even notice that it was "hxxp://" before I clicked on it. I was wondering why it wasn't working.
Takeo Saeki

Postby chikara » Tue 12.05.2006 7:52 pm

paul_b wrote:

It's a new internet protocol, HyperXeroxXylophoneProtocol.
Rather than having to code pages in HTML you simply photocopy them and they are converted into music. ;)

Try how-to-bow
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Takeo Saeki » Tue 12.05.2006 7:55 pm

Ah, I never heard of that. I thought it was a mistake by burstandbloom. I guess my browser can't recognize it.
Takeo Saeki

Postby chikara » Tue 12.05.2006 7:59 pm

Marxism Is The Future wrote:
Ah, I never heard of that. I thought it was a mistake by burstandbloom. I guess my browser can't recognize it.

:o :o

You need to have a sound card that supports HXXP to get the full effect.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 12.05.2006 8:18 pm

http://www.how-to-bow.com/

I believe this may be the link.

Looking at it though is not at all like the course I took.

Small example, in the business card section you see two gentleman exchanging cards at different intervals, not speaking very business like, and not bowing according to rank or situation.

The course I took explains that:

Exchanges are done simultaneously, give with the right, receive with the left. In situations of higher ranking staff, during the exchange, the lower ranked must pass the card under/lower than the higher rank.

Becomes a headache when meeting three or four people of different rank simultaneously, holding all their cards in ranking order and addressing each accordingly.
Of course, all the terms and greetings to use too during this exercise.

Hehe, this is only the beginning, you haven't even sat down with them yet...

Seriously, as silly as it sounds, I really needed a full 6 hour day course to nail all the protocol.
Kagemaru

Postby chikara » Tue 12.05.2006 8:39 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
http://www.how-to-bow.com/

I believe this may be the link.

déjà vu ;)
chikara

Postby tanuki » Tue 12.05.2006 8:43 pm

@Kagemaru: Ah, so you really like to socializes.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby ashitaka » Tue 12.05.2006 8:48 pm

Hehe, this is only the beginning, you haven't even sat down with them yet...

Seriously, as silly as it sounds, I really needed a full 6 hour day course to nail all the protocol.

I challenge you to a bowing duel!
I do a 95 minute bowing lecture/demonstration after two months in my class.
Becomes a headache when meeting three or four people of different rank simultaneously, holding all their cards in ranking order and addressing each accordingly.

Thats what we like to call "Welcome to Hell"......try a buisness meeting with various ranks, where each "boss" brings 1-3 lower people with him, each with various ranks.
ashitaka

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 12.05.2006 8:53 pm

paul_b wrote:
Kagemaru wrote:

Heh, I'm sorry about that. It's an old habit from another forum I used, you weren't allowed to post links out. If you click that it won't open up the page (obviously) but all you have to do now is change the 'xx'. I dunno, just something they did.

The thing about the site I don't like now, is it appears that you have to pay to watch the full/all the lessons. It wasn't like that before, but you can't hold it against somebody for trying to make money off of it.

Kagemaru wrote:
Small example, in the business card section you see two gentleman exchanging cards at different intervals, not speaking very business like, and not bowing according to rank or situation.

I think it explains that on the side? It explains about handing cards according to rank I believe. I also think it's a basic tutorial on how to do things accordingly in the situation, I can't imagine them speaking very business like(in the videos). That would be pretty advanced, no?
I'm sure it's more aimed at people like me. :)
Last edited by burstandbloom on Tue 12.05.2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.06.2006 5:30 am

I recall a student from many years ago, a university professor who was in his 50s. It was his turn to serve as the 会長 for his 町内会 and there had been a death in the neighborhood. Consequently, he had to attend both the wake and the funeral and serve as a sort of official greeter, doing a double bow to people as they arrived and as they left.

Being a scientist by trade, and perhaps just to pass the time, he counted the number of times he bowed. I forget the exact number, but it was in excess of 900 times.

He said his back was absolutely killing him.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Kagemaru » Wed 12.06.2006 8:07 am

ashitaka wrote:
Kagemaru wrote:

Thats what we like to call "Welcome to Hell"......try a buisness meeting with various ranks, where each "boss" brings 1-3 lower people with him, each with various ranks.

Have I missed something? :)
Kagemaru

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.06.2006 8:17 am

ashitaka wrote:

That's one of the things I love about my company (and the industry in general). We don't worry overly much about all that stuff. My boss was just plain old 田村さん to us when he was 田村課長. He was just plain old 田村さん to us when he was 田村部長. And he's still just plain old 田村さん to us now that he's 田村常務. There are only about 3 or 4 people that get addressed by their title at all.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan