Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How To Bow

How To Bow

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: How To Bow

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.06.2006 10:17 am

has exchanging business cards evolved some over the last 20 or so years? i seem to remember that when receiving a card one did it with both hands. And when giving one also did with both hands as well. In both cases bowing was of course common. Of course, maybe as a missionary, my experience was quite the same as a business meeting, so that might be why.

However, our mission president was/is a very influentual business man and he would spend extra time teaching the American missionaries, the proper etiquette when meeting with, and talking to a salary man.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 12.06.2006 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Hatori » Sat 12.30.2006 2:38 am

for some reason when i went to church, i just out of nowhere bowed to somebody after they said how great our Pie Festival was. i don't know where it came from though. XD but then the person i was with who's always saying how messed up i am or laughing at everything i was saying was poking fun at me. but then i just told her i was practicing for japan. lmfao. that night was sure messed up.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby AJBryant » Sat 12.30.2006 1:36 pm

The thing is, you *know* you have it down when you suddenly find yourself bowing while talking on the phone.

And no, I am *not* kidding.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Sat 12.30.2006 8:25 pm

Hatori wrote:
for some reason when i went to church, i just out of nowhere bowed to somebody after they said how great our Pie Festival was. i don't know where it came from though. XD but then the person i was with who's always saying how messed up i am or laughing at everything i was saying was poking fun at me. but then i just told her i was practicing for japan. lmfao. that night was sure messed up.

Sometimes, I get this random urge to bow to people too, a trait which causes my mom to insist that I was Japanese in my past life... :|
Obsessed_Saru

Postby Hatori » Sat 12.30.2006 8:30 pm

Obsessed_Saru wrote:
Hatori wrote:

Sometimes, I get this random urge to bow to people too, a trait which causes my mom to insist that I was Japanese in my past life... :|

AHAHAH! same here. XD
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby angstycoder » Sun 12.31.2006 1:48 pm

ashitaka wrote:
Thats what we like to call "Welcome to Hell"......try a buisness meeting with various ranks, where each "boss" brings 1-3 lower people with him, each with various ranks.

What, it's just a multidimentional array! ;)

Person[2,2] > person[2,1] && Person[2.2]= person[1,1]
angstycoder

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 12.31.2006 9:38 pm

As long as you're misspelling anyway, it would have been more clever to call it a "multidementianal array".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan