Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do I go about getting to Japan?

How do I go about getting to Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Postby bloodmoon0011 » Mon 12.11.2006 4:47 pm

Well, here's my situation. I'm in college right now, and this is my first semester ever. I'm 18 and will be 19 in February. Right now, I'm studying Japanese on my own, and it's going well so far. I'm a fluent English speaker and the University does not offer so much as a single course in Japanese language. I want to be an English as a second language teacher in Japan, or some kind of translator. My question is: Where do I go? Who do I talk to? What do I need to go there? Please help me, I'm very confused.

Thanks.
bloodmoon0011

RE: How do I go about getting to Japan?

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Mon 12.11.2006 5:08 pm

Wow, that's kind of creepy, me and you are like the same person... same birth month and everything o.O

Um... there's the JET program, where you can be an English teacher in Japan for a few years. You have to have a degree in something, though (I don't think it has to be anything to do with Japanese or teaching, just any degree). And I think you don't really have to speak Japanese too well for that. I'm not really sure about the exact requirements and stuff, I was thinking about doing that for a few years before going to graduate school, but that's after I graduate from Undergrad. stuff, so it's a while off.
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Mon 12.11.2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby keatonatron » Mon 12.11.2006 10:24 pm

Take the 305 into the Pacific Ocean, turn right at Hawaii. Head for the second star to the left and straight on till morning.
Last edited by keatonatron on Mon 12.11.2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 12.12.2006 6:02 am

bloodmoon0011 wrote:
Well, here's my situation. I'm in college right now, and this is my first semester ever. I'm 18 and will be 19 in February. Right now, I'm studying Japanese on my own, and it's going well so far. I'm a fluent English speaker and the University does not offer so much as a single course in Japanese language. I want to be an English as a second language teacher in Japan, or some kind of translator. My question is: Where do I go? Who do I talk to? What do I need to go there? Please help me, I'm very confused.

Thanks.

Please keep in mind that for the bulk of the English teachers in Japan, the job is a job, not a career, and is somewhat on a parallel with working at McDonalds. If you want to pursue it as a serious career, working at a serious institution, you will want to obtain professional certifications for the field and a Masters degree would be very highly recommended.

If you want to be a translator, I would recommend transferring to a college with a very good Japanese program and majoring in it.
Mike Cash

Postby Chris Hart » Tue 12.12.2006 9:44 am

keatonatron wrote:

Take the 305 into the Pacific Ocean, turn right at Hawaii. Head for the second star to the left and straight on till morning.

Keep in mind that these directions work best when you are driving a boat
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby keatonatron » Tue 12.12.2006 1:57 pm

Or Peter Pan.
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.16.2006 9:00 am

One helpful reply. One close-to-helpful reply. Three smart-assed replies.

And I'm the one who gets singled out for hazing people and not being helpful. Go figure.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.16.2006 10:47 am

maybe it's the delivery.. :o
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Sat 12.16.2006 10:54 am

Mike Cash wrote:

And I'm the one who gets singled out for hazing people and not being helpful. Go figure.

You're the one that keeps making them cry >=P
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Chris Hart » Sat 12.16.2006 11:37 am

Mike Cash wrote:

At least the joking replies came last.

;)
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Tesu » Tue 12.19.2006 12:28 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Please keep in mind that for the bulk of the English teachers in Japan, the job is a job, not a career, and is somewhat on a parallel with working at McDonalds.

Quoted for truth. I'm "teaching" english for another 5 days, then I'm finished for good. When people ask me what I do here, I've always felt a little embarassed to say "English Teacher". Maybe thats a stupid thing to feel (and maybe Japanese people are a little more impressed than I'd give credit for) but very few people here look at english teaching as a full life long career.

To answer your question though, if you want to teach english and have a degree in anything then getting over here is *very* easy indeed. If you want to pursue english teaching as a career, as Mike said, I would consider pursueing other qualifications.
Tesu

Postby bloodmoon0011 » Wed 12.20.2006 2:09 am

I think you should do what the nice people say. And I'm DEFINITELY not talking to myself on a forum.
bloodmoon0011

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.20.2006 9:20 am

bloodmoon0011 wrote:
I think you should do what the nice people say. And I'm DEFINITELY not talking to myself on a forum.

Maybe I'm just tired after a 15 hour workday, but I can't figure out what the hell you're talking about. Clarification, please.
Mike Cash

Postby tanuki » Wed 12.20.2006 9:54 am

Mike Cash wrote:
bloodmoon0011 wrote:

Maybe I'm just tired after a 15 hour workday, but I can't figure out what the hell you're talking about. Clarification, please.

He was talking to himself.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Tesu » Wed 12.20.2006 9:56 am

Mike Cash wrote:
bloodmoon0011 wrote:

Yeah this one confused me for a while too. I *think* that it is a second person using the account, replying to his friend on his on account, and then trying to somehow point out that he is infact a different person.

It's obvious! :P:P:P
Tesu

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan