Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - exactly the same??

exactly the same??

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

exactly the same??

Postby loktinhunjaoban » Tue 12.12.2006 1:21 am

I came to Japan this March as an exchange student, talking with the other foreigners we always seem to end up laughing about how 'the Japanese always....' Why is it so easy to sterotype everyone here? It's so easy to say.. 'all the Japanese ...' 'EVERYONE here...' I've never heard so many pressumtions of one country before.

The funny thing is that once someone tells me about a certain trait of the typical 'Japanese person' I notice it more and more- and it builds up in my mind this sterotype of 'Japanese'. I'm worried that talking about my experiences here will bring out a lot of biased opinion.
loktinhunjaoban

RE: exactly the same??

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 12.12.2006 1:40 am

Solution: hang out with more Japanese and less foreigners.
Schattenjedi

RE: exactly the same??

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 12.12.2006 5:59 am

loktinhunjaoban wrote:
I came to Japan this March as an exchange student, talking with the other foreigners we always seem to end up laughing about how 'the Japanese always....' Why is it so easy to sterotype everyone here? It's so easy to say.. 'all the Japanese ...' 'EVERYONE here...' I've never heard so many pressumtions of one country before.

Part of the reaon those of us who have been here a while don't (can't) hang out with the F.O.B. crowd.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan