Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Hatori » Tue 12.26.2006 2:30 am

hello. well, because i'm still young and going to school still, i decided that i'd save money up for japan for the billionth time. but i am FOR REAL this time. i have to STOP buying luxuries and things i really want if i want to make my dream come true.
when i was talking with my mother tonight and trying to insist on letting me put my Christmas money in the bank for japan, she said it's like,"taking a glass of water out of the ocean" for how much i have to save to live there! i swear, i was about to cry because i'm really serious about getting my real future started. and my mother really, REALLY put an oil stain into my cashmeire-sweater-of-a-mind.
so, everybody that hasn't been to another country is always saying how EXPENSIVE it is to move to a complete other location. i mean, there's the transportation, shipping costs, and medical treatments if needed- other than the house you're buying/renting.
---
so, is the myth of "Japan costing tons of cash" to live in is really true. i mean, i'm determined to not fail in my life- not saying my mother has- and i'm going to MAKE SURE i can make my own story. my first chapter will be my way to japan. i know there are MANY people on this website that live in japan now and have come from america.
---
and i'd like to note, i've heard from MANY people that it's recommended to take a vacation to japan at least, before you were move somewhere in japan. it's not like you're going to buy a home blindly without going to the area you are going to go to. yet, while i'm saying this statement i'm being a bit hypocritical because i really want to probably live in japan, but i havn't been there. so, my real savings currently is for my vacation(s) to japan.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby kohyin » Tue 12.26.2006 4:05 am

I think it is a prudent idea to visit Japan for a vacation before you commit to living there. Another way is to go there with a language program trip sponsored by a college. Some colleges send their language major students abroad for a month or so during summer.

If you don't live there and don't have a job there, you might feel things are expensive there. I paid 400 yen for a very small cup of coffee at a train station when I was back in Japan 2 years ago. It's roughly $4. So, if you are on vacation and having to eat out 3 meals every day, it might feel very expensive to be there, but if you lived there, you probably cook for yourself and daily expense would be more reasonable. I haven't lived there for 2 decades and I cannot really tell you for sure.

I think other members who live in Japan now would give you better advices.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
User avatar
kohyin
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri 11.10.2006 8:19 pm

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 12.26.2006 6:46 am

Hatori wrote:
hello. well, because i'm still young and going to school still....


There's really no point in anyone trying to answer you in a meaningful way until you clarify what "young" and "school" mean in your case.

15 and in high school? 20 and in college?
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby b4d0m3n » Tue 12.26.2006 8:09 am

If you eat at restaurants, then yes, it will be expensive. Other than that, I think it's comparable to anywhere else.
b4d0m3n
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun 09.11.2005 8:28 am

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Hatori » Tue 12.26.2006 2:30 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Hatori wrote:
hello. well, because i'm still young and going to school still....


There's really no point in anyone trying to answer you in a meaningful way until you clarify what "young" and "school" mean in your case.

15 and in high school? 20 and in college?


i'm just about the high school age right now.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.27.2006 7:00 am

Then you're not going to be able to come here to live until you have finished university (visa requirement for most folks). Worry about knocking that out first.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Rounin T » Wed 12.27.2006 5:02 pm

b4d0m3n wrote:
If you eat at restaurants, then yes, it will be expensive. Other than that, I think it's comparable to anywhere else.

:o Restaurants aren't expensive where you live? I'm moving to "girt by the sea."

Here are a few 外食 prices as I remember them from 2003.

60円 for a hamburger at McDonalds
200円 for a bowl of curry udon at an eki arcade diner
280円 for a bowl of 牛丼 (one of my favorites)
480円 for a gigantic bowl of ramen with everything in it
980円 for a standard all-you-can-eat buffet with several choices, often including 焼き肉
~3000円 will buy dinner for two at a sit-down restaurant like Sato's.

And if you have a larger-than-normal appetite, fear not. You'd expect to pay a lot of money for enough food to completely fill you up, right? Quite the opposite. Some "challenge" restaurants will actually give you your meal free or even pay you money if you eat a sufficiently impressive amount of food. One caveat: sometimes with these challenges there's a limit of one per customer per lifetime.
User avatar
Rounin T
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu 10.12.2006 5:32 pm

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Kagemaru » Wed 12.27.2006 9:30 pm

Hatori wrote:
transportation, shipping costs, and medical treatments if needed- other than the house you're buying/renting.


Am I behind the times?
How much surplus cash does a high school student have these days?
User avatar
Kagemaru
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun 09.17.2006 8:56 am
Location: 奈良
Native language: Greek
Gender: Male

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Hatori » Wed 12.27.2006 11:00 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
Hatori wrote:
transportation, shipping costs, and medical treatments if needed- other than the house you're buying/renting.


Am I behind the times?
How much surplus cash does a high school student have these days?


i get a lot from my neighbors. and i'm going to get a job soon. and i just got a lot of Christmas money that's going to be put towards my funds. but, i may seem poor to an average worker, but i get A LOT more money than my friends and other people my age.

Rounin T wrote:
b4d0m3n wrote:
If you eat at restaurants, then yes, it will be expensive. Other than that, I think it's comparable to anywhere else.

:o Restaurants aren't expensive where you live? I'm moving to "girt by the sea."

Here are a few 外食 prices as I remember them from 2003.

60円 for a hamburger at McDonalds
200円 for a bowl of curry udon at an eki arcade diner
280円 for a bowl of 牛丼 (one of my favorites)
480円 for a gigantic bowl of ramen with everything in it
980円 for a standard all-you-can-eat buffet with several choices, often including 焼き肉
~3000円 will buy dinner for two at a sit-down restaurant like Sato's.

And if you have a larger-than-normal appetite, fear not. You'd expect to pay a lot of money for enough food to completely fill you up, right? Quite the opposite. Some "challenge" restaurants will actually give you your meal free or even pay you money if you eat a sufficiently impressive amount of food. One caveat: sometimes with these challenges there's a limit of one per customer per lifetime.

wow... just from hearing from stupid and evil geography last year, my teacher tried to emphasize that cow meat is A LOT of money, but what you said to get a McD's hamburger doesn't sound like much. plus the other prices for food sounds just like america's prices, i would think.

Mike Cash wrote:
Then you're not going to be able to come here to live until you have finished university (visa requirement for most folks). Worry about knocking that out first.

thanks for the advice. i sort of figure that i'd have to go to college, but about the Visa i wasn't sure about.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Oyaji » Thu 12.28.2006 2:37 am

Rounin T wrote:
60円 for a hamburger at McDonalds


From their menu it seems the price has gone up 20 yen since then. :)
User avatar
Oyaji
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun 04.30.2006 9:57 pm

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.28.2006 2:42 am

Yoshinoya has also gone up. Now 420 for their 牛丼 ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Hatori » Thu 12.28.2006 5:17 am

Oyaji wrote:
Rounin T wrote:
60円 for a hamburger at McDonalds


From their menu it seems the price has gone up 20 yen since then. :)


OMIGODS! a japanese McD's WEBSITE!
now that's what i call... weird. XDD it just looks funny to me. lol.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
User avatar
Hatori
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu 10.13.2005 10:31 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Native language: English
Gender: Female

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby Oracle » Thu 12.28.2006 5:34 am

Oyaji wrote:
Rounin T wrote:
60円 for a hamburger at McDonalds


From their menu it seems the price has gone up 20 yen since then. :)

Good to see a スマイル is still 0 yen though!
User avatar
Oracle
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon 02.13.2006 9:03 am
Native language: English

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby paul_b » Thu 12.28.2006 5:57 am

Oracle wrote:
Good to see a スマイル is still 0 yen though!

Are you kidding? That's gone up 500% since I last saw it. :p
User avatar
paul_b
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu 06.01.2006 9:35 am

RE: is it REALLY taking a glass of water out of the ocean?

Postby b4d0m3n » Thu 12.28.2006 6:19 am

Rounin T wrote:
b4d0m3n wrote:
If you eat at restaurants, then yes, it will be expensive. Other than that, I think it's comparable to anywhere else.

:o Restaurants aren't expensive where you live? I'm moving to "girt by the sea


Which part of 'if you eat at restaurants, it will be expensive' indicates that eating at restaurants will in fact not be expensive? Have I become 'special' and the meanings of expensive and inexpensive have become reversed inside my brain?
b4d0m3n
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun 09.11.2005 8:28 am

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests