Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - tiramisu

tiramisu

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

tiramisu

Postby Hatori » Wed 12.27.2006 11:30 pm

hello. well, whenever i go to one of the only few Mitsuwa stores in America that's in Cook County Il i go to this really GOOD bakery called "Hippo". whenever i go there, i but tiramisu. it is possibly one of the BEST desserts i have ever had! i mean, it's just so... tasty, but not too sweet!
well, my mother and i went to one of our grocery stores nearby we decided to buy this large box of tiramisu cake. i was so excited because i LOVE this stuff! and when i took my first bite out of this cake, it tasted like CRAP! and it tasted like... like... COFFEE! and coffee is terrible, i think!
so, what's the difference?? i think the box said that it's supposed to be a roman cake or something.
is tiramisu japanese or roman? :|
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: tiramisu

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 12.27.2006 11:58 pm

Tiramisu is Italian, isn't it? Although I know they have it in Japan, because I've heard a song** where the singer sings about Tiramisu, but I'm pretty sure it's Italian.

** Donald Duck no Magical Adventure by An Cafe (Terrible song, actually ^_^'')
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Hatori » Thu 12.28.2006 12:58 am

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
Tiramisu is Italian, isn't it? Although I know they have it in Japan, because I've heard a song** where the singer sings about Tiramisu, but I'm pretty sure it's Italian.

lol. yeah, i knew it was from SOMEWHERE in Europe. lol
anyways, can anybody explain why it's so... coffee flavored in Italy?? and the Japanese style is so different?
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Oyaji » Thu 12.28.2006 3:04 am

There are probably better places than a Japanese learning site to learn about tiramisu. Here, for example. ;)
Last edited by Oyaji on Thu 12.28.2006 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby Txkun » Thu 12.28.2006 4:37 am

Hatori wrote:
prep_girl_Nessa wrote:

lol. yeah, i knew it was from SOMEWHERE in Europe. lol
anyways, can anybody explain why it's so... coffee flavored in Italy?? and the Japanese style is so different?

Yep, in Tiramisu there is coffee... it's flavour can be more or less stronger but original recipe has to have it. Anyway in Japan I saw people eating some kinds of italian 'pizza' that haven't much in common with pizza. So for any country... if you buy something that's not 'traditional' of that place... you can have these kinds of surprises. :p
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Hatori » Thu 12.28.2006 5:14 am

hmm... and after you think about it, doesn't "tiramisu" have a japanese RING to it. like, you can probably make it out in kana and it sounds very japan- at least i think.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby paul_b » Thu 12.28.2006 5:31 am

ちらみす, but the 'ti' is wrong for Hepburn romaji. In hepburn it would be 'chi'.
Last edited by paul_b on Thu 12.28.2006 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.28.2006 1:22 pm

The original recipe called for custard and only recently has Mascarpone cheese been substituted. The basic ingredients are eggs, mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso coffee, liquor -- brandy, marsala, rum are some of the spirits used -- a little bit of sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate.

Mascarpone is a triple-creme cheese. It's made from the milk of cows that have been fed special grasses filled with herbs and flowers. This special diet creates a unique taste that has been described as "fresh and delicious." Ladyfingers -- known in Italy as "savoiardi" -- are sweet, little, fairly dry, finger-shaped sponge cakes.

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/page38.html

that page has a bit of history about tiramisu..

Also, as I mentioned above.. It traditionally has, espresso, brandy and rum.. maybe what you had before was done without the "adult" ingredients and the latest you tried had the "adult" ingredients. Always do some research on foods you like before you knock them..

And take a breath or two while typing. I was thinking you were going to feint from lack of oxygen on a few of those sentences.. :D :o
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Thu 12.28.2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby GhoulsNightOut » Fri 12.29.2006 2:34 pm

*just finished eating Tiramisu*
I never saw that when I was in Japan, the Tiramisu, but I did see the Crepe stands and they looked so pretty sometimes I almost didn't want to eat it ;_;
(゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)(*・_・)ノ⌒* 織花..._〆(・∀・@) |・ω・`)コッショリ
GhoulsNightOut

Postby odysseus123321 » Fri 12.29.2006 5:05 pm

I have only known Tiramisu to be Italian and this is the first time i've heard of it being "Japanese." I think the first hint would be that there is no "ti" in japanese because otherwise it would probably be "Chiramisu." LOL. Oh and btw, this stuff is awesome if any of you haven't tried it before. ^_^

- Johnny D
------------------------------------------------------
For other practice, visit:
http://www.wordchamp.com
odysseus123321

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan