Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what JLPT level do you have to pass to go to school in Japan

what JLPT level do you have to pass to go to school in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

what JLPT level do you have to pass to go to school in Japan

Postby GyakuGirePanda » Tue 01.02.2007 6:33 pm

Just like the title says.

Is there any specific level that American(or any other international) students have to pass in order to attend school in Japan?

If so, which level?
GyakuGirePanda

RE: what JLPT level do you have to pass to go to school in J

Postby richvh » Tue 01.02.2007 7:04 pm

From what I've read, to matriculate to a Japanese college, you need to pass the equivalent to the JLPT1. To attend as an exchange student, I don't think there is a requirement.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.02.2007 8:22 pm

The sensible thing to do would be to search for admissions information for the school you're interested in.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby GyakuGirePanda » Tue 01.02.2007 9:16 pm

Thank you Rich-san.

Mike Cash wrote:
The sensible thing to do would be to search for admissions information for the school you're interested in.

Do YOU even know the answer?
If not, why bother responding to the post?

But if you do know the answer, why not post it?
Instead of telling me what's sensible(in your opinion).
GyakuGirePanda

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.02.2007 9:30 pm

GyakuGirePanda wrote:

Because it is the most sensible answer, and the best advice. If I asked you "What SAT score do I need to attend school in the US?" what would you say??

Some schools require a 1400, some require a 1000, some don't require it at all. So if you said "you don't need the SAT to attend a school in the US" and then when I applied the school said I needed a score of 1000 or more and since I didn't take it I can't get in, I'd be royally pissed.

So, the sensible thing to do would be to decide which school you're aiming for and then find out the requirements. If the equivalent of a hick-town's community college is good enough for you, then you don't need anything (and probably won't get a student visa). If you want the equivalent of NYU, then you're gonna have to start studying hard.
keatonatron

Postby Chris Hart » Tue 01.02.2007 9:32 pm

GyakuGirePanda wrote:
Thank you Rich-san.

Mike Cash wrote:

I believe that was his way of saying requirements may vary by school. For the best answer to your perticular situation, and school of choice, you should contact that school. Just like not every college/university in the US uses the SAT results for admissions. Some preffer the ACT, administer their own test, or don't care which one you took.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby tanuki » Tue 01.02.2007 9:35 pm

GyakuGirePanda wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

Touchy, aren't we?

If you didn't like his answer you could just ignore it, you know. It's not like it was offensive or anything.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby GyakuGirePanda » Tue 01.02.2007 9:55 pm

All I wanted to know was if there is a certain level I had to pass in order to attend school in Japan, like I said. I wasn't looking for a deep explanation of anything else really except what I ask about. Thank you for your responses, though. :)

Tanuki>> Well, I could have ignored it. But I chose not to because of what I just said above this. I'm sorry if I seem 'touchy' but if you didn't like my answer to him, you could have ignored me. I appologize again for being 'touchy'.
GyakuGirePanda

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.02.2007 10:29 pm

GGPanda pouted:

You wanted a simple answer to a non-simple question. Hell, you didn't even specify what sort of school.

Since there is no simple, single correct answer to your question I gave you the most practical and expedient answer to it. It isn't my fault if you get your knickers in a knot over it.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Wed 01.03.2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby GyakuGirePanda » Tue 01.02.2007 11:51 pm

>>GGPanda whined...

GGPanda whined my foot. That's something that little kids would do. Are you a little kid? I doubt it. GROW UP.
It's ridiculouse that a 14 year old could be mature enough to appologized and admit being 'touchy' or whatever but a grown man who sits behind his computer and post slick remarks all day can't.
Accept my appology like the adult you're suppose to be.

Grow up.

And by the way, my name isn't GGPanda.
It's GyakuGirePanda.
Say it right.
GyakuGirePanda

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.03.2007 12:06 am

Your post count and joined date tell that you've been here a while, yet you act like a noob. It's Mike Cash, even the people who have looked once at the forums know 1) he knows his stuff and 2) he's pretty honest and will tell you when your making a fool out of yourself. Just let him be his arrogant self, and take his advice.

Besides, that was really a helpful post. Just check out the schools your interested in to see what they require.
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Wed 01.03.2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.03.2007 12:54 am

GyakuGirePanda wrote:
>>GGPanda whined...

GGPanda whined my foot. That's something that little kids would do. Are you a little kid? I doubt it. GROW UP.

I changed it to "pouted" in hopes of being more accurate and pleasing you. Next stop is "snivelled".

It's ridiculouse that a 14 year old could be mature enough to appologized and admit being 'touchy' or whatever but a grown man who sits behind his computer and post slick remarks all day can't.
Accept my appology like the adult you're suppose to be.

I have no respect for people who apologize on the internet.

And by the way, my name isn't GGPanda.
It's GyakuGirePanda.
Say it right.

I doubt very seriously that if I look on your hatching certificate I will find anything even remotely resembling "GyakuGirePanda", so it is not your name.

If you want better answers, ask better questions. The one you asked was overly-broad and ill-defined.

Nessa opined:
Just let him be his arrogant self....

I prefer "brusque" or "obnoxious".
Last edited by Mike Cash on Wed 01.03.2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Wed 01.03.2007 2:00 am

Mike Cash wrote:

It would be a hilariously poetic twist of fate if you got shoved into an online business meeting (for truckers?) and made a mistake. I'm not entirely sure where this philosophy of yours comes from. Do you think the people you're talking to aren't real? Is it the lack of sight, lack of voice, or the mixture of both? But even if it was that, you wouldn't expect people to apologize for mistakes in magazines and newspapers (which you very well might not). Or is it the ever more likely possibility that after dealing with people in real life, you use the internet to escape from a world of politeness and indulge yourself with brash phrasing?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Scavengist » Wed 01.03.2007 2:59 am

Yeah, that's what happens when you choose a really long screen name. I get mine shortened to Scaven or Scav, but that's cool with me. There's no reason for you to get sensative at people on here. That was a helpful answer, though obvious, it's also frank that you never thought of it yourself.

Other than that, here's a great link to find the information you're looking for:

I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN JAPAN!
*Akira hakate*
Scavengist

Postby Justin » Wed 01.03.2007 3:13 am

Dehitay wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

It would be a hilariously poetic twist of fate if you got shoved into an online business meeting (for truckers?) and made a mistake. I'm not entirely sure where this philosophy of yours comes from. Do you think the people you're talking to aren't real? Is it the lack of sight, lack of voice, or the mixture of both? But even if it was that, you wouldn't expect people to apologize for mistakes in magazines and newspapers (which you very well might not). Or is it the ever more likely possibility that after dealing with people in real life, you use the internet to escape from a world of politeness and indulge yourself with brash phrasing?

To tell you the truth though, and maybe this is just me, but I could actually care less if Mike has respect or not for people who apologize on the internet. Why is that? Well, you see, no matter what we say, or do, it will in no shape or form, change the fact that Mike, will be Mike, if he doesn't respect person XYZ, that's his prerogative. It will also, in no shape or form, change the fact that what Mike had to say, was the best, most logical answer in response to GyakuGirePanda's question.

If you find that you don't like what Mike has to say, rather than just adding more fuel to the flames with trucker comments and other random assumption, let's just all drop it, and for the sake of the forum, let's move on.
Last edited by Justin on Wed 01.03.2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan