Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Work in Japan

Work in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Work in Japan

Postby Chenzah » Sat 01.06.2007 10:02 am

Hello

I may be ending up spending some (considerable) amount of time in japan in the near future and i dont particularly want to go bankrupt in the process, so i was wondering what work in japan was like. That is, how well does it pay, how intense are the hours on average, and what kind of job could i expect to find?

I'm a New Zealander of European decent not long off 19 years old. I've finished College (NZ College = US High School) and im confident that i passed the JLPT level 4 that i did in december last year. I wont be starting University for a year or two by personal choice, as that will be a long road and i don't want to take that on right after college.

So.... anyone able to give me a little insight? I'd much apreciate it...
Chenzah

RE: Work in Japan

Postby richvh » Sat 01.06.2007 10:20 am

Well, first of all, what kind of visa are you going to be in Japan on?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Chenzah » Sat 01.06.2007 10:43 am

I have no idea, you must apreciate i am the most unorgonised person i know (which is
ironic) which is one reason why im asking this here.

I think i should add that i've been to japan before as well, though only as a tourist with my school. As for passports... i'm a duel-citizen. I have passports for both the UK and New Zealand.
Last edited by Chenzah on Sat 01.06.2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chenzah

Postby richvh » Sat 01.06.2007 10:58 am

Well, in that case, I doubt you're going to be able to be in Japan for an extended period of time until after college - you need a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) to get most work visas. I thought perhaps your family would be moving there, from the way you were talking.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 01.06.2007 11:13 am

Chenzah wrote:
I think i should add that i've been to japan before as well

I can confirm that a nice guy visa doesn't exist.

Please, take 3.4 seconds and do a little research

After you have decided what you are applicable for, please come back and ask the question again, possibly with a hint as to what type of employment you are realistically seeking.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.06.2007 11:28 am

At the OP's age and education level, his best bet is to look into a working holiday visa.

Hell, I'd go so far as to speculate that's his only bet.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.06.2007 11:33 am

Chenzah wrote:
im confident that i passed the JLPT level 4 that i did in december last year.

Not to be nasty but I hope you continued studying Japanese since then. The Japanese demonstrated by JLPT level 4 is pretty much worthless.
paul_b

Postby AJBryant » Sat 01.06.2007 12:28 pm

I have to admit that I've often wondered what the point of the Level Four was in the first place. I mean, really.

Does it reflect the Japanese perception that Japanese is so difficult no furriner can learn it, and the rank levels need some kind of "documentary evidence" of (lack of) ability? That is, we know that certificates and certification and so forth are important in J society, so does the Level Four allow for certification of even the most hopeless about SOMETHING? (I think I need more caffeine, as I don't think I'm expressing what is in my brainpan right now...)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Dehitay » Sat 01.06.2007 1:09 pm

Let me hijack this thread to ask a similar question. I want to visit Osaka while learning Japanese. Does anybody know what salary the ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) working with JET would make if working in Osaka (with no previous teaching experience)? The JET website wasn't very helpful when I looked. I can understand if nobody knows that specifically. But if you know what foreign English teachers make in Osaka, that would be helpful information too. It wouldn't be one of the cheapest cities in Japan, so I'm kind of worried.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.06.2007 1:11 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I have to admit that I've often wondered what the point of the Level Four was in the first place. I mean, really.

Does it reflect the Japanese perception that Japanese is so difficult no furriner can learn it, and the rank levels need some kind of "documentary evidence" of (lack of) ability? That is, we know that certificates and certification and so forth are important in J society, so does the Level Four allow for certification of even the most hopeless about SOMETHING? (I think I need more caffeine, as I don't think I'm expressing what is in my brainpan right now...)

I know what you mean. Maybe.

The JLPT level 4 fills the need for the Japanese people to know that some gaijin is certified to have a non-usable level of Japanese language skills. Thus supporting their natural prejudices and fulfilling the equivalent of the role of 'zero' in counting.
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.06.2007 1:25 pm

We may as well include level 3 in this. And if anyone wants to toss level 2 into the mix, I won't thrash about too severely.
Mike Cash

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.06.2007 1:45 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
We may as well include level 3 in this. And if anyone wants to toss level 2 into the mix, I won't thrash about too severely.

Just as long as you don't start on level 1 ... (汗
paul_b

Postby richvh » Sat 01.06.2007 1:49 pm

Isn't level 1 the "competent to work at McDonalds" certificate? 笑
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.06.2007 2:06 pm

I don't have level 1, so I don't feel free to knock it. I do have level 2, though. A solid performance on level 2 should be fine for McDonalds, or quite a broad range of real jobs in Japan.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.06.2007 3:09 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Let me hijack this thread

Is there any forum where this is *not* considered rude? Is it that hard to start a new thread?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan