View topic - Work in Japan

Work in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Work in Japan

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.06.2007 3:18 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Dehitay wrote:
Let me hijack this thread

Is there any forum where this is *not* considered rude? Is it that hard to start a new thread?

You did omit the "to ask a similar question." portion. I think that brings it into the range of thread drift, which is pretty much inevitable (even if not desirable).
paul_b

Postby Rounin T » Sat 01.06.2007 4:00 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Let me hijack this thread to ask a similar question. I want to visit Osaka while learning Japanese. Does anybody know what salary the ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) working with JET would make if working in Osaka (with no previous teaching experience)? The JET website wasn't very helpful when I looked. I can understand if nobody knows that specifically. But if you know what foreign English teachers make in Osaka, that would be helpful information too. It wouldn't be one of the cheapest cities in Japan, so I'm kind of worried.

I'm pretty sure ALTs make ~30万円 per month, regardless of where they are in Japan.

As far as the rest of them, it really depends. You might check the websites for companies like ECC or Nova.

Osaka proper (like, say, Abeno) may be a little on the high end, but suburban Osaka isn't that expensive a place to live. It's comparable to anywhere else in the Kansai region. You might want to look at Sakai, Hirakata, or Suita -- all very nice places to live in the Osaka metropolis.
Rounin T

Postby Wind Fox » Sat 01.06.2007 5:11 pm

konnichi wa, :D I wanted some advice about the type of job I wanted to get in Japan. I've always wanted to be an anime artist, mostly for Studio Ghibli. But I'm unsure of what i need to be able to apply. I thank all who help me in advance, doumo arigatou gozaimasu. :)
Wind Fox

Postby AJBryant » Sat 01.06.2007 8:50 pm

I know what you mean. Maybe.

Actually, that's pretty much it, yeah.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Chenzah » Sat 01.06.2007 11:33 pm

Well this is a bitch

I had no idea Visas were so particular.... I've never been to a country where I've needed a Visa before, that i or my family have arranged (That one time i went to japland the school must have done it).

If i cant work some way around this i don't have much of a choice but to go to uni right off... durr

(Also, the age/education levels i stated in my OP are what they will be when the time comes. Right now I'm still 18 and at college (high school). Which means i could potentially get JLPT level 4 before then as well.... but as you've all said that's apparently useless as well)
Last edited by Chenzah on Sat 01.06.2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chenzah

Postby keatonatron » Sat 01.06.2007 11:45 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Does it reflect the Japanese perception that Japanese is so difficult no furriner can learn it, and the rank levels need some kind of "documentary evidence" of (lack of) ability? That is, we know that certificates and certification and so forth are important in J society, so does the Level Four allow for certification of even the most hopeless about SOMETHING?

Well, look at how many people sign up for the test each year... and look at how many of them fail. It's obvisously an important goal for a lot of people... Even if you can't use it to get a job, it has value for a lot of beginners outside of Japan (who might get discouraged if the only test available was the level 1, and impossible for them to even attempt). The level 4 at least recognizes people for making the first step, which I would hope motivates them to continue.

To get back on topic, I think the OP could only hope to get a working holiday visa. And with the (probable) lack of Japanese skills, the only option for employment would be teaching English. Sigh.
keatonatron

Postby Chenzah » Sun 01.07.2007 12:46 am

keatonatron wrote:
To get back on topic, I think the OP could only hope to get a working holiday visa. And with the (probable) lack of Japanese skills, the only option for employment would be teaching English. Sigh.

That'd do me fine actually...
Chenzah

Postby Tegyrius » Sun 01.07.2007 1:41 am

Chenzah wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

That'd do me fine actually...

I'll second that.
Have you had bad experiences with that keatonatron? :o
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.07.2007 2:47 am

Is it possible to have good experiences with it?

I have had fun chatting with my students, but the teachers I'm surrounded by are creepy as hell.
keatonatron

Postby Schattenjedi » Sun 01.07.2007 3:37 am

keatonatron wrote:

I have had fun chatting with my students, but the teachers I'm surrounded by are creepy as hell.

Is this the type you're talking about?
Schattenjedi

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.07.2007 5:09 am

What's this? Five Japanese girls and only five peace signs? What's the world coming to?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Chenzah » Sun 01.07.2007 6:35 am

keatonatron wrote:

There's a little blue pill that can help you solve that problem you know.

Anyway, more details on this working holiday thing? yes?
Last edited by Chenzah on Sun 01.07.2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chenzah

Postby Kagemaru » Sun 01.07.2007 9:28 am

keatonatron wrote:
but the teachers I'm surrounded by are creepy as hell.

I would like to second, third and fourth that.

Of all the woes I have with Japanese people, after attentively observing the behaviour of 90% of the unqualified English teaching population, I don't blame Japanese people whatsoever in tarring us with the same brush.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.07.2007 12:36 pm

Chenzah wrote:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html
keatonatron

Postby Chenzah » Sun 01.07.2007 10:00 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Chenzah wrote:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html

I fuggen love you
Chenzah

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan