View topic - The result of a lie.

The result of a lie.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: The result of a lie.

Postby Infidel » Tue 01.09.2007 3:03 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Where I spend over half the day, 6 days a week:

Ahh, containers.

I assume Mike is going to and from the terminal a lot, or maybe the local train station.

I live by one of the biggest terminals on this coast and I see enough container rail cars, container trucks, and container farms to make my eyes bleed.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 01.09.2007 3:06 pm

Mariya wrote:
Kagemaru -- Do you look like a teacher?

Do I fit the stereotypical teacher with the old suede coat, sewn on elbow patches, stained ties and teeth with breath like a swamp montser?

Hmm, no. Sorry to let you down.

Mariya wrote:
I guess I find it a bit strange that the first question you get asked when entering a bar is whether your an English teacher or not

Not the very first question however, it promptly follows. This goes for any venue.

Mariya wrote:
And with the whole hours of hate conversations, I'd say you walked into an anti-teacher cult meeting at the wrong time... :o

In that case not quite. It was not the focal point of the conversation.

To them it was splendid to see/meet/hear of (I find Japanese big on heresay) a foreigner that could speak not wonderful but enough Japanese, hadn't married a national for a visa, lives alone (that part is true at least) isn't out trying to pick up as many Japanese girls as possible, and is making an effort to widen the circle.

As much as I dislike Japanese misguided preconceptions regarding this issue, I really cannot blame them for thinking so, as I too are often disgusted by a large portion of foreign behaviour here, many of whom are English teachers.

Judging from the responses here too, it doesn't look a secret, and certainly does not seem isolated to the part of Japan that I live in.
Last edited by Kagemaru on Tue 01.09.2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.09.2007 11:27 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Anyways, I've never really ever thought that many Japanese people would ask you if taught English or not. I assume that the people asking are looking for English tutors, teachers, or something (Obviously.)

No, there is just a default assumption that white person = English teacher. It is widely assumed that we're incapable of anything else.

And you said you were a philosipher! The first one, too! lol. I work letting my neighbors dogs out next door, take in their mail and packages when gone, and water during the summer. For each of these tasks I get too much money. $5-$10 each day. :o
^ (Like you'd really care.)
----

I hate it when people make stereotypes about other cultures... but sometimes it's fun (don't ask). Anyways, what I do at school is that I try to teach as many people about the stereotypes people think of Japan while it's actually Chinese or Korean.
Sometimes people make fun of me for my awesomely weird ways (and my knowledge of Japan), BUT having my own special purple glow makes me know that I don't need to listen to the evil words said. :) I love sticking up for myself and friends... B)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.10.2007 5:51 am

Infidel wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

Ahh, containers.

I assume Mike is going to and from the terminal a lot, or maybe the local train station.

Mostly to 大井埠頭, 青海埠頭, 城南島, 大黒埠頭, 本牧埠頭, and 南本牧埠頭.

Interestingly, JR cargo has their own standard for rail containers, which is strictly a domestic thing. It is only recently that they have started to carry a few intermodal containers by rail. Normally it is all by truck, or the ones bound for domestic destinations considerably removed from the international terminals get reloaded onto small intercoastal vessels for transport to a seaport nearer their destination.

Hatori shared with the class
And you said you were a philosipher! The first one, too! lol. I work letting my neighbors dogs out next door, take in their mail and packages when gone, and water during the summer. For each of these tasks I get too much money. $5-$10 each day.
^ (Like you'd really care.)

Many truck drivers are philosophers. The rest are conspiracy theorists. The good thing about truck driving is that it gives you lots of time alone to think. The bad thing about truck driving is that it gives you lots of time alone to think.

Sure, I care that you work. I admire your industriousness.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Wed 01.10.2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.10.2007 10:31 am

conspiracy theorists reside in nearly all jobs.. However, I find that they aren't the ones who are doing much if any of the thinking.. I find they typically knee-jerk react to every situation assuming someone is out to get them..
two_heads_talking

Postby Hatori » Wed 01.10.2007 11:20 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Many truck drivers are philosophers. The rest are conspiracy theorists. The good thing about truck driving is that it gives you lots of time alone to think. The bad thing about truck driving is that it gives you lots of time alone to think.

Sure, I care that you work. I admire your industriousness.

I totally agree with you about the time thinking alone. Sometimes it feels great, but other times you just feel sort of sick of the bad things in life.

About my work, I like trying to be the best. Even though when I'm with my friends I'm a lot louder when I try to do better, I'm always trying to raise the bar. I feel like I'll get nowhere in my life if I don't try to do as much as I can. :) Today I was complaining I'm getting an A minus in math and my lunch buddies were flipping out at what I said. Whenever I have to do a project with somebody, I always want to do more. Hrmm... I think I do stuff after school too much too. Most of the time I'm after school everyday for the plays I get involved with and other clubs too. For some reason, I like out-doing another to feel pride and self-actualization I think. I also want to give more of name to my family and myself too.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan