Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pirates

Pirates

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Pirates

Postby mandrill » Thu 06.02.2005 10:04 am

I lived in Thailand where I was spoiled by the availability of cheap software.
Now I'm in China, amazed every day as I see the thousands of DVDs that can be had for under $1(u.s.). Japan's my next move.
I'm wondering if I should pick up a few hundred more DVDs to take with me, or if perhaps I'll find the same situation in my new home.
(Shikoku - if that makes any difference)
What's available in Japan?
Pirated software, cheap DVDs, CD bootlegs?
Anything else that may be interesting?
mandrill

RE: Pirates

Postby Spaztick » Thu 06.02.2005 9:26 pm

Not really, you're not going to find ANY pirated software in Japan (the government is realy strict about that), and electronics are expensive compared to the US (like $70 for a PS2 game). You can, however, rent stuff and burn it yourself (but if you do - which I don't suggest doing - don't get caught or you will be fined and/or booted out of the country).

http://www.riaj.or.jp/e/information/faq/#question11
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby lomagu » Fri 06.03.2005 7:39 am

Hey mandrill, just out of curiosity, what were you doing in Thailand & China? I'm asking because I want to work in one of those countries (or elsewhere). Right now I'm teaching English in Japan & I want to visit another place when I'm finished. Like Spaztick said, there's no pirated stuff here & everything is expensive, so stock up!
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby muxec » Wed 06.08.2005 4:39 pm

Countries that produce IT products fight with piracy, Almost all of the other countries (the whole world except for USA Japan and maybe several European countries) support piracy at least unofficially as no country want the money to flow out of the country and most of the software used produced in USA and Japan.
Toyama Tokanawa : )
muxec

Postby dballred » Thu 06.23.2005 8:09 pm

mandrill wrote:
I lived in Thailand where I was spoiled by the availability of cheap software.
Now I'm in China, amazed every day as I see the thousands of DVDs that can be had for under $1(u.s.). Japan's my next move.
I'm wondering if I should pick up a few hundred more DVDs to take with me, or if perhaps I'll find the same situation in my new home.
(Shikoku - if that makes any difference)
What's available in Japan?
Pirated software, cheap DVDs, CD bootlegs?
Anything else that may be interesting?

I wouldn't advise bringing pirated DVDs into Japan if you are coming from a country like Thailand. There is a good chance your luggage will be inspected and pirated copies WILL be confiscated. Japanese authorities do not tolerate copyright infringement.

That spoken, you can find pirated DVDs in the country (street vendors in Tokyo do it all the time), but the price is usually more than a legal copy out of SE Asia (typically 1500 Yen, around $15 US). The high price is due to the risk they are taking. In one recent case, the vendor was imprisoned.
dballred

Postby Christian_ » Thu 06.23.2005 9:07 pm

that sucks, hey put them in a cd case with a cd player on when you walk out or in ur pants maybe thatll work
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan