View topic - "Bad Grades" in Japan

"Bad Grades" in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: "Bad Grades" in Japan

Postby Rounin T » Thu 01.11.2007 2:29 pm

paul_b wrote:
Rounin T wrote:
Was it, by any chance, *called* 女子高校?

Darned if I can remember what it was called.

Did the one you're thinking of involve an incredibly smelly locker room?

Yes. As well as piles of trimmed アンダーヘアー.
Rounin T

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 01.11.2007 6:05 pm

Well from my experiences at Japanese Highschool they do grade HW etc...but like ppl have said it doesnt relaly accumilate to much.

Tests on the other hands have a heavier weight on academic preformance...

I talked to some staff at the school and they told me that its extremely rare for someone to fail and not to pass a class. And from what I understand theres no "Holding students back" to repeat a grade etc....

just doesnt happen I guess...
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Chenzah » Fri 01.12.2007 8:49 am

Wait wait wait, i think there's something I'm not grasping here.

In America does your homework grades affect your over all yearly grade? If so... that's weird...

In NZ you can fail everything, turn up to no classes but so long as you show up at the end of the year to the exams and get passes in all your tests you can enroll for the next year of education.
Chenzah

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 01.12.2007 9:23 am

Apparently NZ has testing services masquerading as educational institutions.

I recall sitting in Psych class when the final exam came up. A jock who obviously thought himself BMOC came strutting into the room with a sh*t-eating grin on his face. The class wasn't a particularly large one, and I had no recollection of ever having seen him before. He and his admiring pack of airheaded co-eds apparently thought he was pulling off a superkewl trick by having skipped the entire semester.

Before starting the exam, Dr. Simmons glanced around the room and spotted the airheads' hero. Naturally, Dr. Simmons didn't recognize the guy either. I'll paraphrase the exchange that came next. An exchange accompanied by twitters and giggles from the hero and his friends. You will be able to guess for yourselves at what point the twitters and giggles stopped and jaws hit the floor:

"Young man, who are you?"
"Joe Jock"
"Are you registered in this class?"
"Yes."
"Have you been to class at all this semester?"
"No."
"I teach a class; I don't run a testing service. I'll report your "F" to the Records office. You may leave the room."

I admired Dr. Simmons greatly. In addition to his being the chairman of the Psych Department, he was also my classmate in 2nd year Japanese. We sat next to each other.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Fri 01.12.2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Fri 01.12.2007 9:25 am

Chenzah wrote:

In America does your homework grades affect your over all yearly grade? If so... that's weird...

There's nothing particularly weird about that.

In NZ you can fail everything, turn up to no classes but so long as you show up at the end of the year to the exams and get passes in all your tests you can enroll for the next year of education.

In the UK it used to be pretty much "all exam, no coursework" (O levels and A levels) then with GCSEs and AS levels there was a much greater emphasis on coursework. Now the trend is heading the other way again (as too many people are using cheat-sites off the internet to do their homework).
paul_b

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 01.12.2007 9:36 am

Chenzah wrote:

Yes. In fact, performance on homework has a major effect on your grades -- the main reason I got mediocre grades in high school is that I was lazy and often didn't do my homework (or didn't do it well). It's not uncommon for homework to count 40-60% of your total grade.

Schoolwork in the US rarely works on a pass/fail system. You can advance to the next grade as long as you didn't fail too many classes, but when you're applying to college they want to see the grades you got in all your classes during high school. Also, the tests you take like the SAT do not have pass/fail, but a numerical score that will mean different things to different colleges depending on how prestigious they are.

Colleges aren't particularly interested in whether you can cram for one day of tests; they want to see that you can do good work consistently over a long period of time.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Fri 01.12.2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Chenzah » Fri 01.12.2007 10:35 am

In NZ schools we have tests all throughout the year, called internals, and a big set of exams at the end of the year called externals. The internals each consist of one paper and can take as short as 20 minutes to a few months to complete. Externals go for 3-4 hours and consist of half a dosen papers. Homework and classwork has no bearing on grades.

Each paper is on a different topic, ie in maths you'll have on paper on algebra, one on geometry so on so forth....

When apply for the next year of schooling, you apply for each subject separately. Each subject has a requirement that you have passed certain papers from the year before, and not necessarily from the same subject. For biology you need to pass a few biology papers from the year before as well as a few English ones. For physics you need physics papers and maths papers.

Then we have UE (University Entry). UE consists of gaining a certain number of credits (each paper is worth a predesignated number of credits) in total as well as certain areas. Ie 8 credits in english, 8 credits in maths.

If you manage to obtain the right number, and right type of credits you gain UE. Once you have UE you can apply for university.

I remember someone telling me at some point that Japanese high schools were fairly similar to our set up.

(On a side note, now i finally understand that phrase "You need to pick up your grades")
Chenzah

Postby renren » Fri 01.12.2007 10:54 am

in canada..well nova scotia...an exam is worth only 30% of your entire mark in highschool. so if you do extremely well in everything in the course and fail your exam... your passing no problem
Last edited by renren on Fri 01.12.2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
renren

Native language: english

Postby paul_b » Fri 01.12.2007 11:00 am

renren wrote:
in canada..well nova scotia...an exam is worth only 30% of your entire mark in highschool. so if you do extremely well in everything in the course and fail your exam... your passing no problem

Do they test on punctuation and capitalisation?
paul_b

Postby renren » Fri 01.12.2007 5:49 pm

for english exams yea but not math, science etc exams unless the teacher is crazy lol. also they prob check for punctuatoin and capitalization on english related exams like sociology....maybe im not entirely sure. hope that helped :D
renren

Native language: english

Postby Chenzah » Sat 01.13.2007 4:20 am

renren wrote:
for english exams yea but not math, science etc exams unless the teacher is crazy lol. also they prob check for punctuatoin and capitalization on english related exams like sociology....maybe im not entirely sure. hope that helped :D

Nice way to completely miss the joke.
Chenzah

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.13.2007 4:24 am

Chenzah wrote:
Nice way to completely miss the joke.

I don't know. He might have been too subtle for both of us. ;)
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.13.2007 5:02 am

Chenzah wrote:

Not only homework, but attendance as well. If you don't come to nearly all of the classes, and have a good excuse for the ones you don't you can be thrown out of school.

Actually, I'd say that it's wierd that other countries do not. The purpose of school is to prepare people to get jobs. It doesn't matter if your worker knows the material if he never comes to work. Also, people that cram for tests forget nearly all of what they learned a few weeks later. Employers want people to understand the material, not simply be able to rattle off a few memnonics. It's the ability to produce consistant results that not only colleges but employers want to see.

The more I hear about foreign educational standards, the less worried I feel about America's ranking. Apparently our standards are higher, that's why our ranking keeps falling as the world lowers their standards. Of course, I vehemently dispise grading on a bell curve.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 01.13.2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.13.2007 5:13 am

Infidel wrote:
The more I hear about foreign educational standards, the less worried I feel about America's ranking.

Litteralって。
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.13.2007 6:05 am

I must admit, a certian dependence on calculators and spellcheckers that flustered my teachers. What's sad is I actually do try to spell correctly. But I've spent too many years hitting spell check or having the spell check auto-correct. It's a shame this forum doesn't have a built in spellchecker as most of the other forums I frequent do. I think it is the American version of wapuro baka. Education is more focused on properly utilizing equipment and less on being able to function without it. Sliderules and pencils and paper, OH MY! Learning multiplication tables, correct spelling, and good penmanship, it sounds like some black and white Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Actually, just today, I was noticing an increased propensity for doubling consonants when not necessary. Brittish was another error that was pointed out to me. I'm not sure where this came from, but it is a new bad habit.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 01.13.2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan