Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - work/pay/taxes jp

work/pay/taxes jp

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

work/pay/taxes jp

Postby KINGZ » Mon 01.15.2007 6:39 pm

I got board today so I figure I start a section in regards to work/pay/tax/misc. I just did some base research on this nothing to deep just to get it started. Yes I am really really board at work today.

This seems to be something new

TOKYO (XFN-ASIA) - The Ministry of Labor has decided to adopt a new system that will require employers to pay their workers overtime wages at three different rates, depending on how much overtime they put in, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported.
Under the new system, workers who put in 45 hours or less of overtime a month must be paid at least 25 pct above their base rates, the paper said in its online edition.
A higher rate -- to be decided through negotiations between labor and management -- will be applied to those who work between more than 45 hours and 80 hours a month.
Employees who put in more than 80 hours of overtime a month must be paid 50pct above their base rates, it said.
Those who work overtime late at night, classified as being between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., will be paid at an even higher rate, it added.
The current Labor Standard Law caps the regular weekly working hours at 40, or eight hours a day. Under the present rules, employers are legally required to pay their workers between 25 and 50 pct above their base rates if they work overtime, but most of them only pay 25 pct more for overtime.
The Labor Ministry will introduce a bill revising the Labor Standard Law at this year's ordinary Diet session, the report said.
The revised law will feature the new system governing overtime payment. The government last revised the schedule for overtime wages in 1994

I found the story at http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2007/01/07/afx3306514.html

I always thought Japanese worked there tells off for nothing extra (Please excuse my stereotyping). wow think of that, it was time and a 1/4 ouch then again, I am shock to see that they are limmited to a 40 hour work week. For some Reason I always thought of it being much higher. I wonder, would this apply in some point to a salary person. I mean as a mechanical designer I put in anywhere from 45 hours to 60 hours a week for nothing extra but I love my job. Also what is this thing about time over a month vs the US 1 week time frame? Does that mean that most jobs pay by the month instead of by the week???

Well this is the base topic ill post a new topic Work/Pay/Tax topic under this post in a few days. yessss I was really really really board at work today. . :o
Last edited by KINGZ on Mon 01.15.2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

RE: work/pay/taxes jp

Postby Oyaji » Mon 01.15.2007 8:43 pm

KINGZ wrote:
I always thought Japanese worked there tells off for nothing extra

Punching your timecard at 5:00 doesn't mean you necessarily leave at 5:00.
Oyaji

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.16.2007 12:06 am

I am shock to see that they are limmited to a 40 hour work week.

Yup. On paper I work 40 hours a week, and if I go over, get compensated highly and even get extra time off.

Most of the people at my office don't go home until 9 or so, and we head home pretty early when compared to most companies in Japan. My friend takes the last train home almost every night (12:15)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby angstycoder » Tue 01.16.2007 12:31 am

I paper I work 40, realistically, I'm in the office for around 9.5 hours a day, or 47.5/wk. Additionally, I'm on call 24x7x365 and generally field a couple of calls a week. This week with the terrible weather in Texas, I have a feeling this week will be interesting.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.16.2007 2:42 am

YOU'RE NOT IN JAPAN THAT'S OFF TOPIC MOOT POINT
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby suhui » Tue 01.16.2007 4:01 am

Yup. On paper I work 40 hours a week, and if I go over, get compensated highly and even get extra time off.

Most of the people at my office don't go home until 9 or so, and we head home pretty early when compared to most companies in Japan.

Is there that much work in most Japanese companies? I haven't been to Japan and hope to work under public relation department next time hahax...

Oh do they have prejudice against public relation officers? I am so surprised that in the actual "working" society people do stereotype public relation officers as eh hem "sluts-who-go-to-pubs-and-sign-contracts-by-providing-alternative-means-for-their-clients". Is that true? No offense really because I have always wanted to be in public relation type of field.
Spoof!
suhui

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.16.2007 9:25 am

suhui wrote:

Most of the people at my office don't go home until 9 or so, and we head home pretty early when compared to most companies in Japan.

Is there that much work in most Japanese companies?

How much work there is or is not is entirely irrelevant.

I haven't been to Japan

It shows.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby KINGZ » Tue 01.16.2007 11:33 am

Harisenbon wrote:
I am shock to see that they are limmited to a 40 hour work week.

Most of the people at my office don't go home until 9 or so, and we head home pretty early when compared to most companies in Japan. My friend takes the last train home almost every night (12:15)

OMG that’s late, wow. Must be hard on family life sometimes, but I guess it’s better than living in a van down by the river. : ) but I do understand the extra compensation. I may be salary but I do get extras here and there for putting in long work weeks.

So with a major work schedule like that sometimes it hard to get what 4 maybe 5 hours worth of sleep at night sometimes. Does that mean the morning schedule in is somewhat relax, since my work could keep me here from 7 hours a day to 16 hours a day, I'm usually in at work between 7am to 10:30am. Or is lateness a major no no for most jobs even with hard work schedules.

I also here there are places in Japan where there is no need to go home after work, you can sleep, shower, and get new clothes too.

EDIT

So those living in Japan, what do you think of the new over time pay. I think this information came out on 01/07/07
Last edited by KINGZ on Tue 01.16.2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby suhui » Tue 01.16.2007 8:08 pm

I also here there are places in Japan where there is no need to go home after work, you can sleep, shower, and get new clothes too.

I would want that! Hahax then there's no need to pay the hefty rental fees..

Does anyone has info or contacts for being public relations officer in Japan?
Last edited by suhui on Tue 01.16.2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoof!
suhui

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.16.2007 9:23 pm

Public relations with who? The Japanese public?
keatonatron

Postby suhui » Tue 01.16.2007 9:42 pm

Public relations with who? The Japanese public?

Something like that.. How are their position as public relations officer like? Do all workers have to pay pension? Years ago I read that Japan has a pension scheme for the older workers. What about those employers?
Spoof!
suhui

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.16.2007 10:40 pm

KINGZ wrote:
Does that mean the morning schedule in is somewhat relax,

Like all jobs, it depends on the day. I have mornings where I have no work to do and I sip my coffee in style while reading TJP.

Other days I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the entire day.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.17.2007 12:01 pm

the chicken days are the quickest too aren't they harisenbon?
two_heads_talking

Postby Kagemaru » Wed 01.17.2007 1:18 pm

Oyaji wrote:
Punching your timecard at 5:00 doesn't mean you necessarily leave at 5:00.

I still have a very hard time completely comprehending this condition, and can only comment based on observations/experiences at the high school I work at.

Outside Japan, I am well aquainted with overtime however, the Japanese methods still leave me agape.

Here is the cyle as I deduce it:

In my department we are all aware of each others workload, therefore we can easily surmise if any of us undoubtebly require 4 hours a day overtime to finish surplus work unable to be completed throughout the course of the day.

Initially, I thought it a ploy to milk the sytem. Not until much later, I linked it with the promotion methodology.

Promotions seem not to be awarded on merit but by obsequiousness.

During overtime, we all secretly know we aren't really that busy, yet no-one dares to leave prematurely for the fear of being labelled as apathetic, thus detrimental to their chances of promotion. I'm sure be it able for all of them to get up and leave simultaneously they would, yet again no-one seems to bite the bullet and take the initiative, for alone I hear only complaints regarding the necessity to do it.

The time the Japanese maxim of hammering the protruding nail back in line with the others when explained, was not understood by me at first until recently, when I think I have it right in saying it applies here, yet not isolated to this specifically.

Moreover, for the really ambitious people, it doesn't stop there. Going out with the boss after overtime to おねちゃん bars and whathaveyou gains further kudos. As it is highly likely the boss underwent the same rigours in order to become who they are, they therefore pass the same postulate down the line, so on and so forth, thus linking it back to obsequiousness rather than merit. It seems the more time with the boss, and less time you spend at home with your family, the higher your chance of promotion.

The amount of nouns in Japanese for fake complimenting for me is nothing short of mind blowing. お世辞、うすもほうべん、ごますり etc, seemingly used exclusively for brownie points.

With the bubble burst, I would have assumed the lifelong allegiance for one company ethic to be on it's deathbed, yet still seems very active although, the younger generation seem intolerant towards it.

Teachers are excited by the summer and winter bonuses. I see it as not a bonus at all. Calculate the amount of overtime done and it comes pretty close. Within corporations however at least bonuses are generally calculated based on time employed and yearly profit.

Is this a whine? -no
Only my observations, be it insightful, half cocked or complete refuse.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby AJBryant » Wed 01.17.2007 2:28 pm

was really really really board at work today.

Board = a piece of wood

Bored = >yawn<

Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan