Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - work/pay/taxes jp

work/pay/taxes jp

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: work/pay/taxes jp

Postby KINGZ » Wed 01.17.2007 3:43 pm

AJBryant wrote:
was really really really board at work today.

Board = a piece of wood

Bored = >yawn<

Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Tony

I tink mi avitor sayit all :D
Last edited by KINGZ on Thu 01.18.2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 01.17.2007 9:12 pm

http://www.pliink.com/mt/marxy/archives/2006/11/no-chances-in-t.html -- i may have posted this before, but i forget... it does seem to be sorta appropriate for this thread.

As reported on 2-ch's Itai News Blog, Kinki University in Osaka is telling juniors they must take a job right outside of graduation in the traditional "shinsotsu saiyou" (新卒採用) system. Why? "Because there are no second chances." (「2度とチャンスはありません。」) What about becoming a freeter? "Your life will come to nothing." (「フリータやニートになっては,人生台無しです。」) Surely, waiting to apply a year or two after college, you could still get a job based on your qualifications, right? "Dead wrong. Society will not accept you. Why? Because those who did not start working right outside of graduation are leftovers and defective merchandise." (「卒業してからでも大卒の資格で何とかなるわ…と思ったら大間違いです。 社会は受け入れてくれません。何故なら,新卒で就職出来ていない人は落ちこぼれであり,欠陥品だからです。」)

it seems that in addition to everything else that one must do to climb the corporate ladder, one is also *required* to start at the bottom with everybody else at the same time (after college) or be doomed to be stuck in the "defective merchandise" category...
zengargoyle

RE: Subject Change Work/Pay/Tax JP

Postby KINGZ » Thu 01.18.2007 3:10 pm

zengargoyle, no its good :D, its still classified under Work/Pay/Tax in JP, As I Said when I started the Thread, I was going to update the topic every few days as long as it followed the Work/Pay/Tax in JP. I was going to update with the added subject of Work Visa. But I like to explore this subject a bit more.

Now to the subject of transiting from school to the work life;
So I’m assuming that if someone did take a year off after school that it could pretty much scar their career for life. They would get hired but their salary and chance of promotion would be reduced. OUCH that hurts. With young ppl having to make such a major decision in their life at such a fast past, does that not create less loyal employees. I mean after a year or two at a company after an employee gets some experience they find it’s not a fit and leave with that training to another company. Or do ppl seem to stay loyal to the companies that hired them to start with.

I also wonder per say, that the head of the class took a year off and then return to work, wile the bottom of the class started work from the get go. Who would carry the favor of the company? In the US it would be the top of the class person. ??
KINGZ

Postby Dehitay » Thu 01.18.2007 5:19 pm

KINGZ wrote:
I also wonder per say, that the head of the class took a year off and then return to work, wile the bottom of the class started work from the get go. Who would carry the favor of the company? In the US it would be the top of the class person. ??

I don't know much about Japan, but I can tell you how it works in the US. Your grades and school rankings only really matter for the first job you get. Once you have experience, you're already more valuable than a top of class graduate with no experience.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby KINGZ » Thu 01.18.2007 6:07 pm

Dehitay, in some industries, yes, and it could be said for engineering too in the US. Ill higher the best student I can find, unless they have at least 5 years real world experience. But in Japan the way this article reads is based off of just ONE YEAR. One year in the US does not mean a thing. Its nothing for someone after school to float around a for 1,2, or even more than 3 years in the US or bounce around from different careers types under what they studied.
I digress, the real question at hand is what is It like in Japan.
KINGZ

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan