Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dinner

Dinner

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Dinner

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.20.2007 5:30 am

Unfortunately, common manners have become uncommon.

I grew up in the South, where the ultimate mealtime faux pas is to take the last biscuit.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.20.2007 5:50 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I grew up in the South, where the ultimate mealtime faux pas is to take the last biscuit.

That's my mum's policy as well. It doesn't matter if she eats 90% of the biscuits as long as she leaves the last one or two in the packet it doesn't count. And woe betide whomsoever drinks the last inch from her 2 litre diet coke bottle.
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.20.2007 8:47 am

paul_b wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

That's my mum's policy as well. It doesn't matter if she eats 90% of the biscuits as long as she leaves the last one or two in the packet it doesn't count. And woe betide whomsoever drinks the last inch from her 2 litre diet coke bottle.

For educational purposes only:
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.20.2007 10:28 am

I think the concept of the "head of the household" is disappearing, at least in the US, due to the large number of families with both parents working. That is not a family concept I grew up with; if it hadn't been for TV I wouldn't have known of this idea that the father is the "head of the household".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 01.20.2007 11:26 am

I think it's just respectful to wait until your host starts eating or grants you permission to eat.

I've been brought up such that, even with friends, I always sit down until everyone has finished eating... Even if someone explicitly tells me to get up, I try not to, and if it is absolutely necessary that I must, I always feel really guilty, and apologize.

I have one friend's where I am always the last one still eating, and everyone sits and waits for me... I don't know why, but I'm really the only one who eats any substantial amount of food. And then I feel bad for still eating when everyone else has finished, and is waiting on me.

I take my shoes off when entering anyone's house, even if they themselves are wearing shoes. The only situation where I don't remove my shoes is when the house is still being built, and has no flooring of any sort, when it is an American family's house from which I am going to leave almost immediately, or when I don't have shoes to remove.

Etiquette is so annoying sometimes, and yet it is what you expect... Or, don't expect, in some cases.
Last edited by Tspoonami on Sat 01.20.2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Kdar » Sat 01.20.2007 2:22 pm

It annoys me sometimes.. when some one come to my house..

and they see that every one else (me and my family) is without shoe.. But they are still continue to be in there shoes..
At list some normal people ask if it ok or not.. But some, even don't think about asking.
Last edited by Kdar on Sat 01.20.2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 01.20.2007 10:00 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

I'm constantly amazed at the number of Southerners on this website.

And damn you for posting that picture of Southern Biscuits. It's damn near impossible to get the things in Gifu, and I've been craving them for way too long. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby tanuki » Sat 01.20.2007 10:06 pm

Are those "Southern Biscuits" soft or hard? Might sound like a stupid question, but I don't really know what you call a "biscuit".

I can't tell from the picture if they're soft or hard, but they sure do look tasty. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.20.2007 10:29 pm

tanuki wrote:
Are those "Southern Biscuits" soft or hard? Might sound like a stupid question, but I don't really know what you call a "biscuit".

It all depends on how your Mama makes them. Typically soft, though.

When I was a teenager I once shamed a neighbor lady into taking cooking lessons from my mother. She used to come over to our house quite often right about supper time and enthusiastically scarf up a couple of my mother's freshly baked biscuits, still hot from the oven.

Now, anybody can be excused for partaking of a fresh biscuit. But this was happening too often to be coincidence, so I asked my mother why the lady always seemed to show up just when the biscuits were ready.

"Donna can't make biscuits."

I was thunderstruck. A woman in the South who was incapable of producing the Food Of The Gods? This was a new and entirely foreign concept to me. It was a Twilight Zone moment.

"Then what do they have instead?"

"She gets those brown-n-serve rolls from the grocery store."

My hearted filled with pity for her husband and small children. I felt sorry for her husband that his secret shame of living in a biscuitless marriage had become public, and yet was profoundly respectful of this display of true love. For no greater act of love and Christian charity could there be than to take in and keep such a defective woman.

"Hell, I wouldn't marry a woman who couldn't make biscuits."

This shamed her so much that she had my mother teach her how to make biscuits. Her husband was very appreciative of my intervention.

Of course, it was only a very few years later that I did indeed go on to marry a woman who couldn't make biscuits.....
Mike Cash

Postby Ino » Mon 01.22.2007 3:19 pm

LOL!! I love bisquits!! I really hate the pilsbury kind though... yuck!! Anyway yeah... i just thought it was weird that they would sit at the table after everybody else except for my dad had gotten up from the table. They just sat there while he until he had finished eating... i miss those girls... they were my friends...I should write them a letter!!! Anyway sorry for getting sidetracked... but the topic of bisquits got me thinking about rolls. My grandma makes the most wonderful rolls in the world!! They are so wonderful! You can never just have one...Unfortunately, where she excels in baking rolls, she lacks in making roast...it's always dry!! Lol!! I love you grandma!!!
Ino

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 01.22.2007 4:41 pm

mike cash went from southern bisquits to asian rice balls. lol..
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.23.2007 4:33 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
mike cash went from southern bisquits to asian rice balls. lol..

My wife later went on to learn to make proper biscuits. Unfortunately, we have no oven and biscuits are a distant memory.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.23.2007 12:24 pm

you know, with some of the modern appliances you should be able to use a toaster oven or even some of the newer convection ovens to make those bisquits in. heck, some rice cookers are now multi-taskers and can cook cakes and such..

a man with no proper bisquits is a sad thought.. I would send some over, but I am not so sure how fresh they would be..
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan