Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Girls and Gaijins

Girls and Gaijins

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Girls and Gaijins

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 01.22.2007 6:55 am

Harisenbon wrote:
AJBryant wrote:
Ya know, I've seen just about as many dogs in Japan as I have in the States. There is no "cute" gene the Japanese have that others don't.

Preach it brotha.

I think once people get used to looking at Japanese (or asians in general) they start to see past their own visual prejudices that "all Japanese girls are cute" or whatnot, and start seeing the HORRIBLE FUGLINESS THAT LIES BENEATH!!! or something.

It is true that the longer one stays here the lower the average attractiveness quotient becomes. Fortunately, the rate of decline is not linear.

I gave the matter a little thought a few years ago. The primary side benefit to my job is that I get ample opportunity to do some girl-watching while stuck in Tokyo traffic. Since I've been here long enough that not every female strikes me as being drop-dead gorgeous (as they so often do to those fresh off the plane) I decided that the number one I could improve my day would be to significantly lower my standards of what constitutes "attractive".

In any random assemblage of females, the male viewer can have precisely the proportion of attractive females he wishes.....all he has to do is move the goalposts far enough.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Mon 01.22.2007 7:59 am

So so true. The not-so-hot women just don't get photographed for outside-Japan publications. There are so many messed up grills, gigantic moles, and pidgeon-toes here... :|
keatonatron

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 01.22.2007 11:58 am

keatonatron wrote:
There are so many messed up grills, gigantic moles, and pidgeon-toes here... :|

Even those I can't get dates with :(
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Dehitay » Mon 01.22.2007 12:50 pm

I spend a lot of time around the Texas Tech campus. We have a great deal of east Asians (though very few are Japanese) as well as every other race (half of our computer science department students come from India though). The east Asian female population really doesn't look like the most attractive to me. But then again, it might be because the rest of the girls are probly the most beautiful things in Texas (I honestly can't figure out how so many of them gathered into one place). Maybe I should just start taking surprise pictures of them and running away so I can show you.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 01.22.2007 1:36 pm

keatonatron wrote:
So so true. The not-so-hot women just don't get photographed for outside-Japan publications. There are so many messed up grills, gigantic moles, and pidgeon-toes here... :|

hell for that matter there are plenty that are not so appealing that do get photographed too.

While there are cute, hawt and otherwise attractive women in Japan, I never was under the impression every Japanese was attractive. Maybe, to steal a thought from Mike, I had my goal posts set too far away, but I just found normal people in Japan, with a few drop dead gorgeous ones and a few that had been hit rather hard with an ugly stick. for that matter it was not different than living in the states, except that there was a lack of difference in hair color... :o :D
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Mon 01.22.2007 1:44 pm

I still think someone should make a stage play called "Girls 'n' Gaijins". It'd be a musical very similar to "Guys 'n' Dolls", just about... Japanese girls and foreigners?
keatonatron

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 01.22.2007 6:26 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

I have met Japanese women who find the idea of dating foreigners to be unthinkably repulsive. They were all very nice people, who exhibited no signs of outward prejudice or ill treatment of foreigners of any stripe. They were just seriously (and visibly) repulsed by the notion of being intimate with non-Japanese men.

You mean women your age?

keatonatron wrote:
I must point out first that I have very little respect for j-list. Browsing that website for a mere 30 seconds angers me to no end (so... much... ignorance...).

You too? I cant stand it either. It truly is disgraceful.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.23.2007 4:31 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

I have met Japanese women who find the idea of dating foreigners to be unthinkably repulsive. They were all very nice people, who exhibited no signs of outward prejudice or ill treatment of foreigners of any stripe. They were just seriously (and visibly) repulsed by the notion of being intimate with non-Japanese men.

You mean women your age?

Yes. And let me further clarify that I didn't learn of their reaction in a setting of me trying to pick them up or anything even remotely resembling that.
Mike Cash

Postby Oyaji » Tue 01.23.2007 5:08 am

My wife has certainly gotten more than her share of "What's it like being married to a foreigner" questions. The reactions she gets range from 「いいなぁ」 to 「私は無理」.

When I was single I was often told by well-meaning friends and acquaintances that they knew just the girl for me. On the rare occasions when I took them up on their offers, these *perfect* girls always fell into one of three categories: the *cosmopolitan* 「日本はダメ」 types, the "I'll teach you about Japan" 「日本人はパンより御飯を食べることが多い」 types, and the "You know so much about Japan" 「すご〜い!なんでそんなこと知っているの」 types. All three types get tiresome very quickly. It's not that all Japanese girls are like that, it's just that these seem to be the types that are often introduced to foreigners, at least in my experience.

I won't bore you with the details of how we met, but I can honestly say that my *foreigness* and my wife's *Japaneseness* have never been more than an incidental part of our relationship.
Last edited by Oyaji on Tue 01.23.2007 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby Tajoumaru » Wed 01.24.2007 9:32 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Ya know, I've seen just about as many dogs in Japan as I have in the States. There is no "cute" gene the Japanese have that others don't.

Very accurate perception. The Japanese women those of us living outside of Japan are exposed to are mostly beautiful actresses and the like; due to that limited exposure such beatiful women tend to negate the less-attractive ones we may come across in person. I.e., the famous, beautiful ones end up representing Japanese women on the whole, just as Penelope Cruz may come to symbolize Spanish women for non-Spaniards.

On the flip side, I've actually met Japanese women (two, in fact) who were genuinely disappointed that very, very few American men bear any resemblance to Brad Pitt, c. 1995. (Talk about delusional stereotyping.)
Tajoumaru

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.24.2007 11:01 pm

Tajoumaru wrote:
On the flip side, I've actually met Japanese women (two, in fact) who were genuinely disappointed that very, very few American men bear any resemblance to Brad Pitt, c. 1995. (Talk about delusional stereotyping.)

When I studied abroad in Japan, all the girls at my college tried to match the american students with famous celebrities. Everyone was either Brad Pitt, Di Caprio, or Tom Cruise.

My wife, when she first met me, said I look like Barton Fink. I really would have prefered the stereotyping. :(
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Fri 01.26.2007 2:22 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Everyone was either Brad Pitt, Di Caprio, or Tom Cruise.

My wife, when she first met me, said I look like Barton Fink. I really would have prefered the stereotyping. :(

they called me beckam... even though Im not white...and I dont even resemble David beckam.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.27.2007 6:51 am

I used to get called "Bass" (after the baseball player). All that was necessary was to be white and have a beard.
Mike Cash

Postby Tegyrius » Sat 01.27.2007 1:20 pm

Are you sure it wasn't because of Sam Bass, the ol' western outlaw?

Anyways, to chip a more serious coin into the discussion fountain: I beleive in succesful western/asian relationships. I know two japanese women who are happily married since many years to their Swedish man.

EDIT: Fixed spelling.
Last edited by Tegyrius on Sat 01.27.2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.28.2007 4:02 am

Tegyrius wrote:
I know two japanese women who are happily married ... to their Swedish man.

EDIT: Fixed spelling.

You might want to fix a few grammatical things as well :D
Last edited by keatonatron on Sun 01.28.2007 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan