Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Girls and Gaijins

Girls and Gaijins

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Girls and Gaijins

Postby Tegyrius » Sun 01.28.2007 6:22 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Tegyrius wrote:
I know two japanese women who are happily married ... to their Swedish man.

EDIT: Fixed spelling.

You might want to fix a few grammatical things as well :D

Go right ahead Mr Big Shot Native English speaker :p Haha, to be quite honest I went back to fix the link, but was too embarassed to admit to having done such a rookie mistake. *hides in the corner*
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby Tegyrius » Sun 01.28.2007 6:23 pm

Oh now I get it. HAHAHA! Hey, that man is me by the way :D
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby hyperconjugated » Sun 01.28.2007 6:45 pm

"Bigamy, that's when you have one wife too many. So is monogamy."
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby clay » Sun 01.28.2007 6:55 pm

Tegyrius wrote:
Oh now I get it. HAHAHA! Hey, that man is me by the way :D

You are a busy man. (just kidding)

I am also happily married and know several other international couples in the area. Unfortunately I also know of several who didn't make it. (One guy in particular that I'd love to punch for putting his wife through... never mind a different story)

I am sure international marriages are more challenging than marrying someone from your own country (I wouldn't know from experience, though), but there is probably something about that challenge that keeps people together.

I know I wouldn't have it any other way.
clay
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.28.2007 9:59 pm

It definately seems like a hit and miss type thing. I had two teachers (women) from Japan at my college; one is happily married with children, the other is unhappily divorced and bitter... with children I think.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Tajoumaru » Mon 01.29.2007 6:58 pm

Harisenbon wrote:My wife, when she first met me, said I look like Barton Fink. I really would have prefered the stereotyping. :(

Hey, John Turturro's not a bad-looking guy--and he's a fine actor to boot. And at least your wife was familiar with the film Barton Fink.

As for me, when I was a bit younger (and about 12-15 kg. thinner) I apparently had a resemblance to Leo DiCaprio--as was noted on several occasions. I wasn't terribly happy about that comparison as I was never fond of the guy, though I'd rather be compared to him than to Tom Cruise. If I decide to post some pics here some may see the resemblance.
Tajoumaru

Postby Dehitay » Mon 01.29.2007 9:30 pm

I get compared to Russel Crowe every now and then. I would love nothing more than to throw a phone at the next person who annoys me for better comparison.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 01.29.2007 9:31 pm

John Turturro's not a bad-looking guy

No he's not.. But have you SEEN his hair in Baron Fink? It looks like Egon Spangler on Acid. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Tajoumaru » Mon 01.29.2007 10:20 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
It looks like Egon Spangler on Acid. :/

"I had a slinky once but I straightened it."
Tajoumaru

Postby g0jira » Fri 02.16.2007 1:05 pm

Finding one race or nationality more attractive is just a matter of personal preference, and I'm sure that applies to Japanese girls just like anyone else. A gaijin could add a level of attractiveness to himself just by being different, but probably not for all girls.

I have to admit, I do get a little irritated with the whole yellow fever craze that's so rampant among non-natives. It gets annoying to see my friends who are also interested in Japan go gaga every time they see a real live asian girl. I'm sure it wears off if you actually live there for a while and it becomes the norm. While it might be different at first, if you're in a relationship with somebody you have the same issues as you would with the girl/guy who grew up next door to you.

I'm a white female and have never really had a "thing" for asian guys. I've found some attractive, but I've found guys of every nationality attractive. I don't know if I would get more dates if I lived in Japan - relationships between gaijin women and Asian men don't seem as common, or as discussed.
g0jira

Postby Tajoumaru » Fri 02.16.2007 3:57 pm

^ I know what you mean. The area I grew up in and the high school I attended each had an (east) Asian population of around 20%, so Asian girls were not exactly exotic princesses to me. But many of my friends at the first college I attended grew up in rural areas with virtually no Asian population, and some of them found such women extraordinarily intriguing. It all depends on what one is exposed to while growing up.
Tajoumaru

RE: A gaijjin guy asked me out once...

Postby Akiru » Fri 02.16.2007 6:21 pm

[center] Gaijjins always act before they think. He was fairly attractive though, I almost said yes- but the only thing holding me back was that he was 2 years older than me. ;) Go figure. And yes, many gaijjins have been "attracted" to me and I am japanese so....there you have it....pure truth. Oh and by the way, if anyone has questions about japan, I live in Osaka. So ask away ;).

Thanks,
Akiru[/center]
*Akiru hakate*
Akiru

Postby guarana » Fri 02.16.2007 6:26 pm

There are some Japanese girls that prefer foreigners, to be sure. But I think most realize what a socially inept dork is no matter what culture he or she is from. Some times it seems like comments like "yeah, they like Americans" fail to take the time to point this out. If you're 250 pounds, sporting a bloatee and a dirty t-shirt, don't expect the Japanese ladies to come running just because your skin is white.

Anyways, the entire race preference thing seems racist to me. When men do it or women do it. I wouldn't want anything to do with a Japanese girl that was boning me for any reasons other than my irresistable wit and charm.
Last edited by guarana on Fri 02.16.2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guarana

Postby Kdar » Fri 02.16.2007 7:09 pm

guarana wrote:
Anyways, the entire race preference thing seems racist to me. When men do it or women do it. I wouldn't want anything to do with a Japanese girl that was boning me for any reasons other than my irresistable wit and charm.

those are preference.. personal opinions.
Kdar

Postby guarana » Fri 02.16.2007 7:33 pm

Are you trying to say that the inherent racism in sexual selection based on descriminating ethnic preference is a matter of personal opinion?

Please explain how it isn't racist, in that case.
guarana

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan