View topic - Girls and Gaijins

Girls and Gaijins

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Girls and Gaijins

Postby Kdar » Mon 02.19.2007 2:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
lemonaid, your definition of racist is typical of the uninformed and ignorant. go do some research and come back when you are clearly more informed.

Woah, no need to start flinging insults..

Now if I called them a stupid ignorant hick who was fed on the slime of pig offall, now that would be an insult.

I think.... it just presented more "colorful".... :D
Last edited by Kdar on Mon 02.19.2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby poppop » Mon 02.19.2007 2:44 pm

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
lemonaid, your definition of racist is typical of the uninformed and ignorant. go do some research and come back when you are clearly more informed.

Woah, no need to start flinging insults.

I think Lemonaid had a really good point, s/he just didn't explain fully. Racism simply means assuming something about someone or treating someone a certain way based only on race. If you showed more attention (favoritism) to brunettes simply because you're more attracted to them, that would indeed be racism.

Some people (including many on this site :D) are very interested in Japanese people and will treat a Japanese person as if they are cool/pretty/smart, even if they aren't any cooler/prettier/smarter than a non-Japanese.

I must admit, I have fallen prey to this type of thing in the past. After being in Japan for a year and a half, I returned to the states to continue college. I was really into learning Japanese and I missed Japan, and I ended up showing lots of interest in the Japanese exchange students at my school, simply because they're Japanese. I'd say 50% of my friends were Japanese, not because we naturally fit together, but because I actively sought them out, trying to "Japanify" my surroundings a bit more.

I'm quite ashamed of how I acted, but there is something to learn from it.

well, if you think like this then.. do you prefer fat girls or skinny girls?.. i think most of the guys prefer skinny girls.. maybe not skinny but yeah you get my point, so if you compare that with the "brunette" part it would be the same thing.. you prefer skinny grils more than fat girls (i supose), but if you wouldn't.. wouldn't you then be a racist towards the skinny girls?.. i mean this discussion can keep going on forever.

and if i met a japanese person i would be preatty excited about trying to communicate with him/her in japanese, and ask questions about the culture and so on because that's what im intrested in.. whatever the reason was that you talked to those Japanese guys at your school could be your reason why you liked japan?
because they are from that country...get my point?
imo this isn't racism at all
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby Xaith » Mon 02.19.2007 4:52 pm

Brunette would be a hair-color, not a race. Fat and skinny aren't races either. It would be prejudice. I think "racist" is being thrown around too loosely.
Last edited by Xaith on Mon 02.19.2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.19.2007 6:09 pm

exactly our point.. the OP doesn't know the difference..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby guarana » Mon 02.19.2007 6:37 pm

Perhaps I should have been more specific, when I said preference I meant the sort that excludes all others. I should differentiate between preference and discrimination, discrimination being what I was actually getting at. If you were to date redheads exclusively and only for the colour of their hair, then it would be discriminatory. Simply prefering redheads is still prejudice, although mild and not something I would fault a person on. Similarily, I would not fault a person for simply prefering the looks of an asian. Although it is prejudice, it is something that one can not easily change.

It's really impossible for me to not be more attracted to pretty girls than ugly girls, for instance. Further, it is relatively harmless to a relationship, assuming you have reasons for dating this redhead/asian/pretty girl for more reasons that their race or hair colour or prettiness. I have no problem with mild preference. I have a problem with the shallow types who are only interested in one aspect to the point of discrimination, be it body type, race, or hair colour.

What I was originally commenting on was the Japanese women that will only date Gajins, and only because they are Gajins (and western men that only date Japanese girls as an aside). This goes beyond the realm of preference and into the realm of discrimination. You shouldn't date some one simply because they are Japanese or a foreigner, it is most certainly discriminatory! I would not want anything to do with one of these "Gajin Hoppers"; they are obviously shallow, pathetic women.

PS: I am willing to accept that sexual orientation is an obvious exception to this rule. But perhaps simply due to the norms of the day. In some societies, to not be bisexual would have been discrimanatory indeed; take the Spartans for instance. But then they were pedophiles as well, so perhaps we shouldn't open that can of worms.
Last edited by guarana on Mon 02.19.2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guarana

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 02.19.2007 8:39 pm

If you accept people from all backrounds of life
to your social circle that is being tolerant and
not discriminatory. You can give a change for
everybody to become your best friend, best
co-worker etc. However, you don't have to make
compromises when it comes to choosing a partner
(except the law). Something as trivial as hair colour
could mean a world to somebody else. If it's not
your thing or you find it superficial then fine, but calling
it prejudice/discrimination is simply wrong. Should
we put up an agency that enforces affirmative action
on the world wide dating scene and monitors that people
choose their partners for Only The Right Reasons(TM)?

There are people that go through life without
wanting to date anyone. Do these people discriminate
everybody? Are they better or worse than those who
choose to date only one kind of people/race/whatever?
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Dehitay » Mon 02.19.2007 9:19 pm

Liking somebody based on sex, race, hair color, or the such is by definition discrimination. However, that doesn't mean it's wrong. There are a variety of times when such discrimination is permissable. I would considering mating one of them. However, I do kind of find it somewhat amuzing that when some one will only date one race, it angers me; but when some one only dates one sex, I don't care.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Kdar » Mon 02.19.2007 10:08 pm

hyperconjugated wrote:

Totally agree with you.

Friendship is one thing.

But close relationship like Girlfriend or wife is very different matter.
Relationship with girlfriend or wife is much more deeper and more serious.

Even if you are close with you friend. There is limit to this.

But girlfriend/wife is or will be your closest person you know.
Kdar

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.20.2007 1:24 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
exactly our point.. the OP doesn't know the difference..

That's the kind of response typical of an ignorant troll who doesn't own a dictionary and shoots down anyone who doesn't share the same opinion (which is based on wrong information anyway). Please do more research and come back when you're more informed.

Definitions of racism, from the dictionary:

rac·ism n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

In other words, if you treat a certain person differently IN ANY WAY based on their race, that is racism (just as lomaid said). Of course your brunette example doesn't work, but Lemonaid's example, in which people thought all asian women were better simply because they are asian, clearly does.
keatonatron

Postby Kdar » Tue 02.20.2007 9:33 am

No, you not racist if you want to date or interested in one particular race.
Its your choice.
Kdar

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.20.2007 10:53 am

keatonatron wrote:

Definitions of racism, from the dictionary:

rac·ism n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

In other words, if you treat a certain person differently IN ANY WAY based on their race, that is racism (just as lomaid said). Of course your brunette example doesn't work, but Lemonaid's example, in which people thought all asian women were better simply because they are asian, clearly does.

you also missed the first listing..

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

now, in none of my examples did I mention hatred, intolerance or any other form of superiority. .. so none of what was mentioned was racism.. now in 2. it mentions discrimination at the end, so lets look at that..

dis·crim·i·na·tion /dɪˌskrɪməˈneɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an act or instance of discriminating.
2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
4. Archaic. something that serves to differentiate.

now, as you can see, what has been mentioned here is a based on descrimination but mostly to light descrimination.. or judgemental behavior. now equating racism and descrimination is a far stretch, but it can happen. thinking only asian women as cute or otherwise is not racism but in fact preference. can this be considered discrimination? Yes it can, it is wrong? It depends.. Prefering Vanilla Ice Cream to chocolate Ice Cream is not so wrong. But other cases can be..

As for the other remarks.. it's no sweat off my back. We all see things in a different light. but to emphatically state that racism - discrimation is like claiming that blue is green.. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.20.2007 12:19 pm

Racism = Discrimination based on race
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.20.2007 12:30 pm

I think we are in agreement there, but you are arguing the specific to the non-specific and the OP and others were arguing from the non-specific to the specific.

edit, I just realized that it wasn't OP who had the issue it was guarana and lemonaid.. so, my apologies to the OP..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Tue 02.20.2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby guarana » Tue 02.20.2007 4:52 pm

hyperconjugated wrote:

Let's see what happens if I take everything you said and change it from "wife" to "employee".

hyperconjugated's twisted logic wrote:
not discriminatory. You can give a chance for
girlfriend. However, you don't have to make
compromises when it comes to choosing an employee.
Something as trivial as skin colour
on the world wide work market and makes sure that people
choose their employee for Only Their Merit(TM)?

wanting to employ anyone. Do these people discriminate
choose to hire only one kind of people/race/whatever?

Yeah, not prejudiced or discriminatory at all...

That said, I don't think that there should be a law against discriminatory dating, obviously. "Hey, you! The guy that only likes big titties! we're taking you in, you discriminatory asshole!"

I just think that it is something that should be criticized so more people don't think it is acceptable behavior.
guarana

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 02.20.2007 4:57 pm

guarana wrote:
Let's see what happens if I take everything you said and change it from "wife" to "employee".

Yeah, not prejudiced or discriminatory at all...

That said, I don't think that there should be a law against discriminatory dating, obviously. "Hey, you! The guy that only likes big titties! we're taking you in, you discriminatory asshole!"

I just think that it is something that should be criticized so more people don't think it is acceptable behavior.

If you see no difference between
hiring people and dating people
I can't help you.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan