Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Onsen!!!

Onsen!!!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Onsen!!!

Postby keatonatron » Sat 01.27.2007 7:21 am

I'm at an onsen RIGHT NOW! God I love this place. I think the only way I could handle living in Tokyo would be to have one of these places easily accessable. (which it is, so I can)

You pay once to get in, and no matter what time you enter you can stay until 9am the next morning (it's a little extra to stay after 8pm, though). There are restaraunts, free internet (which I am experiencing now--sounds like they have karaoke too), and a huge room full of reclining chairs with their own personal TV's (lots of good channels too! Fox, MTV, etc....). There's a large bath on the 5th floor with different types of saunas, and there's an outside bath on the roof. All the baths are seperated by gender, of course, but you can rent a private bath where family or friends can enter together. There are also various types of massage parlors (Chinese, Korean, Thai...) and other relaxing things you can do.

It just feels so great to lounge around, watch TV, and go do my shower-sauna-bath-outside bath routine.
keatonatron

Native language: English

RE: Onsen!!!

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.27.2007 7:24 am

keatonatron wrote:
I'm at an onsen RIGHT NOW!

So what are you doing wasting your time on the computer? ;-)
paul_b

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 01.27.2007 11:52 am

paul_b wrote:

A very valid question..

Ahh the Onsen.

For 300 yen a day, less with my vouchers, I don't bathe at home these days.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.28.2007 3:59 am

paul_b wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
I'm at an onsen RIGHT NOW!

I arrived at 7 PM and stayed until 9 the next morning. I had plenty of spare time! The baths are so hot that you really can't stay in there for more than 30 minutes at a time.

I forgot to mention they also have tatami rooms with pads and blankets so you can sleep, which is what I did.
keatonatron

Postby Kagemaru » Sun 01.28.2007 5:02 am

keatonatron wrote:
I forgot to mention they also have tatami rooms with pads and blankets so you can sleep, which is what I did.

Wow, Tatami rooms for sleeping too. I haven't been to an Onsen like that before.

How much did that cost you?
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.28.2007 6:44 am

2,400 to get in, 1,500 extra if you stay late.

It's a huge place; they provide everything! When you check in, they give you a yukata which you change into immediately and wear whenever you aren't in the bath (only the baths are seperated by gender, everything else is public), and there are huge stacks of towels, combs and brushes in every bathroom/locker room. I even saw some nail clippers on a string :D
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.28.2007 7:08 am

keatonatron wrote:
I even saw some nail clippers on a string :D

That sounds sanitary....

Did they have something like this to drink out of?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.28.2007 10:10 am

Haha, no. They had water dispensers with a big stack of paper cups.

Do you think a lot of diseases get transmitted by nail clippers?
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.28.2007 10:40 am

keatonatron wrote:
Haha, no. They had water dispensers with a big stack of paper cups.

Do you think a lot of diseases get transmitted by nail clippers?

One should be enough, don't you think?

Hepatitis B
[url=http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:-Bp7w7Cdnv8J:www.hasslefreeclinic.org/HepatitisC.html+share+nail+clippers&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11]
Hepatitis C[/url]
More Hepatitis C
"My husband has undergone treatment for hepatitis c twice. Both times it nearly killed him. When he was in this weakened state, it was important that he not be exposed to any illness because it would have been life-threatening. Since his diagnosis, we have been very conscientious about avoiding exposing other people to my husband's blood , saliva, etc. We don't even share nail clippers because there might be dried blood on them."

Toenail Fungus
HIV/AIDS

I'd rather drink from the dipper.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby clay » Sun 01.28.2007 11:21 am

Sounds like you can live there!

Scary nail clippers, though...
clay
Site Admin

Postby Dehitay » Sun 01.28.2007 11:31 am

clay wrote:
Sounds like you can live there!

3900 yen is actually the same price of a cheap hotel in Texas
.....so much jealousy
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Hatori » Mon 01.29.2007 12:20 am

I really want to go to an onsen... But, I'm in debt $10 with my parents (And I just got paid too!!)... So, it won't work out quite yet. XDD

I have a question, are there like other activities to do at the onsen? Like, I know some people can play pingpong sometimes. Ah, I'd just love killing everybody with my awesome pingpong and tennis skills... ;) But, are there any other things to do.
---
Eww... Nail clippers on a string. My older brother is trying to steal my nailclipper and I'm always saying,"STOP clipping your nails with MY nailclipper at the COMPUTER DESK in MY ROOM!"
Now I need to vacuum under my desk because of that jerk and using my nailclippers. :@ And lately my brother just has been so... GRR!! lol. He's just making me yell at him more and more everyday.
---
When you're at these onsens, are you basically treated SORT OF like royalty because it's just so comforting and nice? lol... Evil American hotels... The cold ice machines are the only good things out of them. :p Which of course, I always love getting the ice while I'm in Florida. :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Oracle » Mon 01.29.2007 2:25 am

There's a 24x7 onsen near Tokyo dome which I've been to once or twice with Japanese colleagues after a big night out and we missed the last train. Both times we ended up even worse than when we started, because you just drink way more, do karaoke, and soak in hot water 'til sunrise - then go to work. Good times..
Last edited by Oracle on Mon 01.29.2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Postby keatonatron » Mon 01.29.2007 3:00 am

Hatori wrote:
I have a question, are there like other activities to do at the onsen? Like, I know some people can play pingpong sometimes.

Yes, in fact. Some places do have ping pong tables, but those onsens are usually smaller and therefore more expensive and not open as late.

My older brother is trying to steal my nailclipper and I'm always saying,"STOP clipping your nails with MY nailclipper at the COMPUTER DESK in MY ROOM!" Now I need to vacuum under my desk because of that jerk and using my nailclippers. :@ And lately my brother just has been so... GRR!! lol. He's just making me yell at him more and more everyday.

Uh-huh.

When you're at these onsens, are you basically treated SORT OF like royalty because it's just so comforting and nice?

Not really... everything is self-serve, other than the massages and food service (which are pretty standard). There's just a lot of nice stuff you can serve yourself with.

But I think it's really cool how everyone wears yukatas. It really breaks down the barriers between social classes because everyone's clothes look exactly the same :D But it feels like you're lounging around in your pajamas with a bunch of strangers that are doing the same thing and it's okay. Kind of a bonding experience.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 01.29.2007 11:59 am

man, and the only onsens I ever managed to find just had the hot pools and cold pools (outside of course and in the mountains..) and the washrooms inside. of course the prices were much cheaper, but that onsen you mention keatonatron sound perfectly wonderful.
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan