Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Onsen!!!

Onsen!!!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Onsen!!!

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 01.29.2007 12:39 pm

I think he went to the sort of onsen/spa that I've heard referred to as a 健康ランド.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 01.29.2007 1:41 pm

I believe the military still hands out maps to all the soldiers with all the locations of the soaplands and then specifically tells them not to go there.. doh...
two_heads_talking

Postby Tajoumaru » Mon 01.29.2007 6:50 pm

The #1 complaint my girlfriend has about living in America (vs. Japan) is the dearth of onsens; that there aren't any good ones here in the volcanically-active Pacific Northwest is an added disappointment. (Major complaint #2 concerns the lack of certain restaurants and foods.)
Tajoumaru

Postby Hatori » Mon 01.29.2007 10:47 pm

keatonatron wrote:
When you're at these onsens, are you basically treated SORT OF like royalty because it's just so comforting and nice?

Not really... everything is self-serve, other than the massages and food service (which are pretty standard). There's just a lot of nice stuff you can serve yourself with.

But I think it's really cool how everyone wears yukatas. It really breaks down the barriers between social classes because everyone's clothes look exactly the same :D But it feels like you're lounging around in your pajamas with a bunch of strangers that are doing the same thing and it's okay. Kind of a bonding experience.

Ahh... Okay. I ask too many stupid questions. lol. Yet I can be ignorant when I don't ask a question that I'd actually need.
For some reason, it's easier for me to make friends with complete strangers than people I see everyday. If I went to an onsen, heck, I'd be a star. :p It's always like that with strangers... XD :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.30.2007 4:41 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
I believe the military still hands out maps to all the soldiers with all the locations of the soaplands and then specifically tells them not to go there.. doh...

When did that happen?

I can tell you they never handed me a map.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.30.2007 7:56 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I think he went to the sort of onsen/spa that I've heard referred to as a 健康ランド.

It is much more like a spa than just a public bath. However, it is much more like a public bath than what Americans think of when they hear "spa".

Apparently they truck the water in from a real hot spring up in the mountains somewhere. (and reheat it, of course)
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.30.2007 2:49 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

When did that happen?

I can tell you they never handed me a map.

I personally thought that happened all the time. Maybe it was something unique to the Army, or even better yet, to the 25th ID based in Schofeild hawaii.. crazy rangers anyway.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.30.2007 5:42 pm

Hawaii isn't exactly Japan, not quite.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.31.2007 1:33 pm

Oh, sorry, the unit that I was doing maneuvers with was from hawaii. They were in Japan doing cross-training with the jietai and the 5th mountain division (they do all the cold weather training of ranger and infantry units as far as I know).

So, the 25th ID steps off the plane in Japan, and their Japanese counterparts greet them (I was there as a translator/Interpretor, and after all the dog and pony show, the 25th retires to get briefed by the battalion commander. As he is briefing, a packet is passed around to all the soldiers. Inside are pamphlets about the area of Hokkaido we were at and some other local things. It had a small paper on how to say simple phrases in Japanese as each soldier was going to be allowed to have a dinner with a family in the local city. They called it a homestay, but it is bascially a dinner and chat where the American soldiers get to know the Japanese and vise versa.

Along with the packet are reminders that as soldiers they have an obligation on foreign land to be at their best behavior. It also had a daily schedule for PT and other activites. There was an outline of the excercise that each company and plattoon would be involved in as well.

There was all sorts of interesting info about Hokkaido and other parts of Northern Japan. I think there was even info on the ainu (I can't remember what specifically).

Finally, in the back of the package was a paper and on it was a hand drawn map there were 4 addresses and at the bottom it said, These areas are completely off limits, anyone found near here will be procecuted to the limit of the UCMJ. there were 2 other papers stapled to it completely outlining what times it was appropriate to be on base and off and other SOP information..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 01.31.2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.01.2007 8:29 am

Well of course they have to explicitly point out the places that are off limits. What are they supposed to do? Make it a guessing game? "There are 4 places you are forbidden to enter and you won't know which ones until the MPs collar you. Good luck, men."

I remember being in "The Carousel", a notorious and strictly verboten club in Yokosuka.....and looking across the runway (as in "dance", not "airplane") and seeing a couple of officers from my ship.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.01.2007 10:50 am

well, if it was a general "red light districts are in this area" kind of thing I would have been ok with it, as that was where trouble could be. however, this map had address, name and phone numbers on it.. I mean, it was like they were saying, "OK men, we have to tell you not to go here, but if you end up there we can't stop you.." (tap tap tap) you know the attention getter stomps when you are being told something is on a test..

anyways, I just always thought it was a bit ironic.
two_heads_talking

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 02.11.2007 3:28 am

two_heads_talking wrote:

the Naval base I went to in Iwakuni actually had a huge sign that said. Military personal are not allowed to go to "~~~~this this and this" or else they will be discharged. Its a pretty big deal.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 02.11.2007 3:51 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

the Naval base I went to in Iwakuni actually had a huge sign that said. Military personal are not allowed to go to "~~~~this this and this" or else they will be discharged. Its a pretty big deal.

Discharged?
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sun 02.11.2007 4:55 am

well, if it was a general "red light districts are in this area" kind of thing I would have been ok with it, as that was where trouble could be. however, this map had address, name and phone numbers on it..

When I was in the navy, I found it interesting that every time I ran across a whorehouse at a port-of-call, it was next to a church. I mean, you could reach out and touch both the church and the whorehouse at the same time, if you weren't across the street where I was. Unfortuantly, in St. Thomas, I found out that I had a whorehouse behind me too. No-no, I really don't want to come in--really!

Unfortunatly, I also learned one strategy towards getting my patronage was to have two women grab an arm each and drag me backwards towards the house. Sheesh.

It was at that point that my shipmates remarked that we were in a red-light area. I missed the briefing because I had watch, so after I gave them hell, I tried to direct the party elsewhere, but they would rather buy $10 drinks for the ladies and see where it led, so I ditched them and went off on my own. I think that was the last time I buddied on shore leave.

Discharged?

One way or the other.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 02.11.2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.12.2007 12:39 pm

Well, from what I could tell, if you weren't Japanese or 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation, you weren't getting in most places anyways. I suppose the bars would take your yen no matter what nationality you were.

Oh, well, it's one of those things. accepted but not excpected..
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan