Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about Japan Bullet train pass

Question about Japan Bullet train pass

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Question about Japan Bullet train pass

Postby RanRane » Sat 01.27.2007 4:40 pm

If you don't live In japan you can get a travllers Japan Bullet Rail pass for around 250 pound for 3 weeks and you can travel to anywhere (almost) in Japan. Now I was wondering, when i go, im going to be spending about half of my time in Tokyo, so would this pass be valid on trains within Tokyo, for an example trying to get from one area to another within Tokyo? Or does the JB pass only work for major areas like from Tokyo to Osaka?
RanRane

RE: Question about Japan Bullet train pass

Postby AJBryant » Sat 01.27.2007 7:18 pm

A *Bullet* Rail pass, if there is such a thing, would be useless in Tokyo.

A JR Rail Pass (which is what I *think* you're talking about) is useful *everywhere*, but only on JR lines (many subway and train lines in Tokyo are private, however).

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Sun 01.28.2007 4:13 am

The rail pass Tony mentioned is also good on most bullet trains, which could make the deal right there: a one-way ticket to Osaka is around 13,000 yen (54 GBP). Add in a return trip, and any other cities you may want to visit, and even if you travel outside of Tokyo for only 1 week the pass can quickly pay for itself.

Here's a PDF map of all the stations in the Tokyo area that use JR (for sightseeing, I'd think JR is all you'd need):

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Rounin T » Mon 01.29.2007 7:14 pm

keatonatron wrote:
The rail pass Tony mentioned is also good on most bullet trains

How exactly does that work? I thought there was only one 新幹. Does each train have its own policy for rail passes?
Rounin T

Postby chikara » Mon 01.29.2007 7:22 pm

Read all about it on the Japan Rail Pass website. I have a 14 day JR Pass for my trip to Japan in March.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 01.29.2007 9:30 pm

Rounin T wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
The rail pass Tony mentioned is also good on most bullet trains

How exactly does that work? I thought there was only one 新幹. Does each train have its own policy for rail passes?

There are multiple shinkansen lines, as well as multiple types of trains within each line. There are three types of trains: kodama (all stops), hikari (rapid), nozomi (super-rapid). You cannot use the JR Railpass on the Nozomi. Addditionally, you can only use the Green Cars of the shinkansen if you get a Green Rail Pass.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hiraikotsu » Mon 01.29.2007 10:38 pm

i was browsing the JR website n came across this page for tourists:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/index.html

so if i wanna travel within tokyo, i should go for either the Tokunai pass or the Tokyo Furii Kippu right?

To travel out of tokyo, is the seishun 18 a good option? It seems alot cheaper than the JR East pass: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/prices.html

I'm thinking of spending abt 2 to 3 weeks in Japan sometime in august this year(other than tokyo and kyoto, i haven't really decided on which other cities to go yet...)
hiraikotsu

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan