Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's It Like In Japan For A Black Guy?

What's It Like In Japan For A Black Guy?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

What's It Like In Japan For A Black Guy?

Postby Xism » Sat 01.27.2007 7:03 pm

Well yes the subject is pretty self-explanatory. I'm a black guy who resides in North America and i was wondering how it is in Japan for a black man to me treated? So far i haven't heard anything bad (from friends who have been there) so my views about Japan are good :). But I'd like to hear what people living in Japan would have to say about this
Xism

RE: What's It Like In Japan For A Black Guy?

Postby tokidoki » Sat 01.27.2007 8:18 pm

xism, I can't answer that from personal experience but http://www.outpostnine.com/ is a website from a black guy who was a JET for the last couple of years, and is still living in Japan. Check out the Forums, and the Teacher Editorials, he talks about his experiences, it's hilarious, and sometimes eye opening.

時々
tokidoki

Postby Tegyrius » Sat 01.27.2007 8:40 pm

Also search around a bit in this forum, you'll find some posts related to this. Good luck!
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby jziemba » Sat 01.27.2007 9:38 pm

It kind of depends where you go, if you go to the rual areas that probably never seen a gaijin before you will get some strange looks (as any gaijin would get) or some people might be a little afraid of you, But all the girls will love you at the club ;). I've seen one of my black friends do the dumbest dances ever but everyone started doing what he did. I recomend brushing up on japanese before you head out though. :o
jziemba

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan