Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about staying in Japan next summer

Question about staying in Japan next summer

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Question about staying in Japan next summer

Postby RanRane » Sat 02.03.2007 2:57 pm

Next summer I am staying in Japan for a month, I've decided now and been saving the last two months. However, I have seen that it is fine to fly over to japan under the age of 18 if you are over 16, which is fine, as I will be 17, BUT, all of the hotel reservations say over 18. Now I have read of people getting around this, as I will be 18 the next month, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how I can?

My dad seems to thin that if he rings the hotel and tells them situation and he pays for the hotel and gives them all the information and my consent, that it should be fine. What do you guys think?

Also, if you stay with Sakura House, you CAN stay under the age of 18, but you need your garuntors consent. What does that mean?
Last edited by RanRane on Sat 02.03.2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RanRane

RE: Question about staying in Japan next summer

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 02.03.2007 9:02 pm

I think your father is an optimist.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Oyaji » Sat 02.03.2007 10:00 pm

RanRane wrote:
Also, if you stay with Sakura House, you CAN stay under the age of 18, but you need your garuntors consent. What does that mean?

I assume that means they would need a letter from your father stating that he take full responsibility for your rent, etc.

They do have a contact link, so you should probably just ask them directly what they require.
Oyaji

Postby RanRane » Sun 02.04.2007 7:39 am

Thank you for your comment! I shall contact them now and ask what needs to be done. Thank you!
RanRane

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 02.04.2007 10:02 am

Don't expect good results. As you may have heard before, Japanese people aren't known for their flexibility and accommodation.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby RanRane » Sun 02.04.2007 1:20 pm

Ok I will make sure I take that into account, It's a real shame, because I will be 18 literally 5 weeks later, but I can't go then as I will be back at college. But thanks for all your info!
RanRane

Postby Tegyrius » Mon 02.05.2007 5:09 pm

Just out of curiosity; where in Japan are you going?
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby Homer » Sat 02.10.2007 10:51 am

RanRane wrote:
Ok I will make sure I take that into account, It's a real shame, because I will be 18 literally 5 weeks later, but I can't go then as I will be back at college. But thanks for all your info!

bummer indeed, I actually didnt even tought about it myself. I will also go to Japan this summer. I will turn 18 at July 15 so I guess I can bether to the trip after that to evade any problems.
Homer

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 02.11.2007 3:35 am

From my experiences you dont need to be 18 to book a hotel room. If you show them proper ID (you wont have a foreign registration card so you'll probably have to show a passport or something) you should be fine. All I did was give them my gaijin card, the money and I got my key. No fuss no nothing.

Of course this was some business hotel in Iwakuni.

so lemme get this straight...your staying in a hotel room for a month?

I wish I had that kind of money.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan