Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stop mixing Japanese and English

Stop mixing Japanese and English

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Stop mixing Japanese and English

Postby XzoeiscuteXx » Fri 02.16.2007 6:43 pm

i admit it, i do it. it does sound stupid, but i'm just trying to grasp the language. also, i do it sometimes to use it in a sentence for someone else. i'm not saying it's good and not saying it's bad... and once i actually know japanese, i will rarely do this.
This post souunds bitter, but it's not

no. it's not. your opinion. it's not like you're like threatening me or personally insulting me like those jerks you can run into on websites who annoying sooo much you just stop going there. I found this quite interesting. My friend told me how annoying he thought it was once. i hadn't noticed until then.
yeah, so it's one of those "i can't help it things." but it personally make me feel good when i'm able to speak more and more in a sentence.

XzoeiscuteXx

Postby guarana » Fri 02.16.2007 6:55 pm

I think that while learning the language this is acceptable. I have been trying to use Japanese words when talking to people that speak Japanese just because I am a new learner and it helps reinforce my (very limited) vocabulary.

But if it's just to sound cool, then I suppose it is a bit silly. It's also silly when the Japanese use English words or phrases, or when English-speakers use French words or phrases.
Last edited by guarana on Fri 02.16.2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guarana

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 02.17.2007 7:15 pm

I'm curious how many foreigners living in Japan use the word cellphone instead of keitai. I've only lived here for 4 years, but besides FOBs, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to a cellphone as a cellphone, and not keitai.

And same with Yudan Taiteki, I notices that words that are used in business or general use are said in Japanese, even while speaking English (or brazillian or chinese, etc). Words like 校長先生、職員室、市役所、広場、ふれあいセンター、など
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Sumi » Sat 02.17.2007 10:03 pm

There are times when I mix English with Japanese. For example; if I hit my toe on something - instead of cursing in Japanese my natural habit is to curse in English.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby ess_jay_arr » Sat 02.17.2007 10:16 pm

Sumi wrote:
For example; if I hit my toe on something - instead of cursing in Japanese my natural habit is to curse in English.

That's funny, 'cos when I do that, it's become my natural habit to curse in Japanese, and I don't even live there. Somehow, yelling "くそぉ〜〜!!" just seems more expressive than its English counterpart. :P

Also, when I sigh, it comes out as a perfect "あ〜あ". It's really bizarre. I can't remember where I saw that, but it stuck with me, and now I can't stop doing it.
Last edited by ess_jay_arr on Sat 02.17.2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ess_jay_arr

Postby AJBryant » Sun 02.18.2007 2:56 am

Yeah, I talk to myself in Japanese. Especially when I'm upset or looking for something.

「畜生!あれはいったいどこにあるんだなあああぁぁぁ」

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Oracle » Sun 02.18.2007 7:24 am

I've heard this sort of thing a lot from foreigners in Japan, and also the reverse from Japanese living here in Australia..When speaking Japanese, they slip in a lot of English for common words, even though they do have a Japanese equivalent (ie. post officeに行ってくる etc)

I have no evidence to support this, but I'm pretty sure other than being annoying, getting into this habit is a really bad thing for your pronunciation:

in order to slip the word 外人, for example, into an English conversation you need to change it's pronunciation subtly to make it work phonetically with the other English words about it (if you say it with absolutely perfect Japanese pronunciation it sounds really bizarre being dropped into the middle of an English sentence). For a beginner, if they did this a lot I suspect it might have a negative effect when they actually used that word in Japanese, even assuming they had perfect Japanese pronunciation to start with..

..Not sure about that. Anyway, in general really fluent speakers of both English and Japanese I've met all seemed to be good at separating the two languages and not mixing words much between them.
Last edited by Oracle on Sun 02.18.2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan