Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - YET ANOTHER...

YET ANOTHER...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

YET ANOTHER...

Postby Akiru » Sat 02.17.2007 4:50 pm

[center]This is yet another thread that I have created, except for this one is for people to ask me any questions they would like about Japan. Anything you ask me I will probably know seeing that I was born and live here. Ask away! :)
Thanks,
Akiru
[/center]
*Akiru hakate*
Akiru

RE: YET ANOTHER...

Postby tanuki » Sat 02.17.2007 5:11 pm

What is the exact number of islands Japan is comprised of?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby poppop » Sat 02.17.2007 5:24 pm

do you have snuff in japan? :P
if you don't know what it is
http://www.swedishmatch.com/Eng/Ingredi ... n_Snus.asp
hard to get outside of sweden but.. it does exist outside of sweden.. in england, france, usa ect.. but it's rare
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 02.18.2007 9:07 am

Two questions:

1. Why don't Japanese kids adjust the height of their bicycle seats so that on the upstroke their knees aren't up around their ears?

2. Don't you realize that a cocky tone clashes with lavender text?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Kakashi-kun » Sun 02.18.2007 2:18 pm

was it hard for you to learn english? :o
how long did it take you?
Kakashi-kun

Postby anikaliki » Sun 02.18.2007 3:12 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Two questions:

1. Why don't Japanese kids adjust the height of their bicycle seats so that on the upstroke their knees aren't up around their ears?

2. Don't you realize that a cocky tone clashes with lavender text?

haha. ah..haha.
Finally!
anikaliki

Postby Akiru » Sun 02.18.2007 4:03 pm

[center]To tell you the truth, I have no idea how many islands Japan is made of. :) I know I should but...well they just don't teach it here. English took me 7 years to learn...yah it took a while, but it was worth it, because I can speak fluently now. Besides, at least 30% of the people I see in Japan speak english, and they teach it in my school as a secondary language. About the bikes...I don't really know. It's just like asking why is the sky blue. It's just something we're used to. Oh adn sorry about sounding "cocky",but I love violet. :)[/center]
*Akiru hakate*
Akiru

Postby chobo2 » Sun 02.18.2007 4:05 pm

Can foreigners get other job other than your Standard English teacher job? Like can they get a medical job (nurse), or computer job (provided of course their Japanese is at a reasonable level?

I know where I live many foreigners basically come off the boat to speak and the next week they got a job that is close to there career(like if there from a country that is like the Philippines and they where a doctor well then they probably be a nurse but still they would be in the same field)

Or if you’re a foreigner can you expect to really only get English teacher type of jobs no matter that you have a bachelor in your field and your Japanese would be good enough that other people could understand you.

Also in your experience how many foreigner do you see actually getting into their feild?
chobo2

Postby poppop » Sun 02.18.2007 5:16 pm

Akiru wrote:
[center]To tell you the truth, I have no idea how many islands Japan is made of. :) I know I should but...well they just don't teach it here. English took me 7 years to learn...yah it took a while, but it was worth it, because I can speak fluently now. Besides, at least 30% of the people I see in Japan speak english, and they teach it in my school as a secondary language. About the bikes...I don't really know. It's just like asking why is the sky blue. It's just something we're used to. Oh adn sorry about sounding "cocky",but I love violet. :)[/center]

still didn't answer my question tho:P
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 02.18.2007 6:04 pm

Do you/did you have to spend time working at じゅく and how does it compare to normal school? By the way, feel free to ask me questions about Britian. I'm a born and bred UKjin, and we have a shocking culture.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby adam » Sun 02.18.2007 8:45 pm

Akiru,

As to your question "Why is the sky blue?"

WHY IS THE SKY BLUE?
The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Taken from

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html
adam

Postby HeyItsMatt » Sun 02.18.2007 8:50 pm

poppop wrote:
do you have snuff in japan? :P
if you don't know what it is
http://www.swedishmatch.com/Eng/Ingredi ... n_Snus.asp
hard to get outside of sweden but.. it does exist outside of sweden.. in england, france, usa ect.. but it's rare

Man, when I started reading your post I thought you meant "snuff" as in "snuff films". Then I saw you had a link up and I thought "oh my lord, that's a new low even for the internet".

Then I read the rest of your post and smacked myself.

Also, my question Akiru - do Japanese people mostly listen to the same music as Americans, or are there some big differences? I guess that's kind of vague... I'm wondering if rap is as popular / more popular over there, and whether there are any alternative rock / indie rock scenes.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 02.19.2007 12:10 am

HAY GUYS

Hey guys!
Mike Cash

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 02.19.2007 3:52 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Hey guys!

Muahahahaha

Straight out of the Cash family album?
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 02.19.2007 4:10 am

Straight out of google image search for "waving"
Mike Cash

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan