Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - カラオケ!

カラオケ!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

カラオケ!

Postby ess_jay_arr » Tue 02.20.2007 11:19 pm

Hey, to all you non-Japanese people who're living in Japan, or have lived there before... have you ever sung karaoke in Japanese? :)

When I went to Japan, I made friends with the - erm, owner/manager... not exactly sure, come to think of it - of a little karaoke bar in Shinbashi. I went there a few times, and sang a lot of English songs, but when I go back, I really want to sing some songs in Japanese. I think they'd be surprised as all hell. :D

So, has anyone ever done this? What kind of reaction did you get?

I'm pretty sure I can do it, by the way. This isn't pie in the sky or anything. I can sing along with a few of Gackt's songs, as long as I have the lyrics in front of me. Actually, that's another point; Does anyone know if the lyrics come up on screen with furigana?
ess_jay_arr

RE: カラオケ!

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.21.2007 2:45 am

Heck, yeah. I was an enka junkie. Used to sing lots of Kitajima Saburo and Yoshi Ikuzo pieces, as well as some more "modern" things like Nagabuchi Tsuyoshi's "Tonbo."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Thorax » Wed 02.21.2007 2:52 am

AJBryant wrote:
...and Yoshi Ikuzo pieces...

"Yoshi Ikuzo" is a name?

or as in "Yoshi! Iku zo..."? :)

just curious.
Thorax

Postby keatonatron » Wed 02.21.2007 2:56 am

ess_jay_arr wrote:
Does anyone know if the lyrics come up on screen with furigana?

It depends on the brand of karaoke machine.

You'd think they'd be surprised if you sing in Japanese, but the truth is they're more "impressed" if you sing in English! If you sing in English, it's this cool, exotic language. If you sing in Japanese, it's just a poorer version of what they're used to hearing every day :D

I had the same initial idea as you; I figured my friends would get more excited when I started singing in Japanese. However, they all calmed down and stopped paying attention-- they started talking to each other and flipping through the book looking for the next song. Then when I started singing an English song again they all got back on their feet and the excitement level rose.

:|
keatonatron

Postby ess_jay_arr » Wed 02.21.2007 2:59 am

AJBryant wrote:
Heck, yeah. I was an enka junkie.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever actually heard any enka... I've heard of it. One of the guys in that bar suggested I should sing some enka, and Kumiko went wide-eyed and exclaimed '無理!!' :P

keatonatron wrote:
You'd think they'd be surprised if you sing in Japanese, but the truth is they're more "impressed" if you sing in English! If you sing in English, it's this cool, exotic language. If you sing in Japanese, it's just a poorer version of what they're used to hearing every day :D

I had the same initial idea as you; I figured my friends would get more excited when I started singing in Japanese. However, they all calmed down and stopped paying attention-- they started talking to each other and flipping through the book looking for the next song. Then when I started singing an English song again they all got back on their feet and the excitement level rose.

:|

Hahaha, wow, that really sucks! :P On some level though, I'm not that surprised. It does kindof stand to reason. Ah well, I might still try sing in Japanese just for my own amusement.
Last edited by ess_jay_arr on Wed 02.21.2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ess_jay_arr

Postby Kagemaru » Wed 02.21.2007 11:07 am

If I do sing in Japanese, I like to choose songs that leaves them thinking:

"How the hell does a foreigner know that song?"

I like Keatonatrons take and agree.

Butchering a spice girls song will win you more cheers than a perfectly executed Hirai Ken hit.
Last edited by Kagemaru on Wed 02.21.2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Wed 02.21.2007 11:33 am

Think of it the other way around. In your hometown karaoke joint, would you be more impressed with some horrible Engrish rendition of "Free Bird" or a speedy pop song in fluent Japanese?
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.21.2007 11:50 am

"Yoshi Ikuzo" is a name?

or as in "Yoshi! Iku zo..."?

It's his stage name -- 吉幾三, and part of the gag. Virtually NO Japanese entertainer uses his real name, btw.

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Wed 02.21.2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby caroline » Wed 02.21.2007 11:59 am

You'd think they'd be surprised if you sing in Japanese, but the truth is they're more "impressed" if you sing in English! If you sing in English, it's this cool, exotic language. If you sing in Japanese, it's just a poorer version of what they're used to hearing every day

I agree completely, but tried only in english, and drunk enough... (you never heard me singing sober :o); that was quite a success I won't look for never again!
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.21.2007 12:35 pm

I had 2 or 3 Japanese songs that I could sing in karaoke. There are those that are impressed for your efforts, and then you have to sing a good ol' fashioned karaoke burner like 'great balls o' fire,' or 'hounddog,' or 'walk the line.' I found over time that my voice just didn't match with all the higher pitched songs, so I keep it in the Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond range.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 02.21.2007 11:20 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
Butchering a spice girls song will win you more cheers than a perfectly executed Hirai Ken hit.

But getting Asterisk (orange Range) perfect will get you a standing ovation. ;)

My friend spent 3 weeks memorizing that damn thing and is now able to pull it off flawlessly. It's 4 minutes of non-stop high-speed Japanese rap.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby ess_jay_arr » Thu 02.22.2007 1:11 am

keatonatron wrote:
Think of it the other way around. In your hometown karaoke joint, would you be more impressed with some horrible Engrish rendition of "Free Bird" or a speedy pop song in fluent Japanese?

Well, I'm sure I'd enjoy the speedy J-pop more, but I'd like to think I'd be more impressed with the Engrish Lynard Skynard. Besides, what makes you think I sing horribly? :P

Nah, I do totally see where you're coming from... I still wanna try it though. :D

two_heads_talking wrote:... and then you have to sing a good ol' fashioned karaoke burner...

I think the most karaoke-ish thing I sang was 'Johnny B. Goode'. :) I really belted that one out, Kumiko actually had to go and turn the volume down while I was singing. :P

Harisenbon wrote:
But getting Asterisk (orange Range) perfect will get you a standing ovation. ;)

My friend spent 3 weeks memorizing that damn thing and is now able to pull it off flawlessly. It's 4 minutes of non-stop high-speed Japanese rap.

High-speed Japanese rap? That sounds like the stuff nightmares are made of... I'm gonna try find it on YouTube. :P I was working on trying to sing 'Re:member' by FLOW. That's about as high-speed as I can manage.
ess_jay_arr

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan