Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Schools..!

Schools..!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Schools..!

Postby -Ludo- » Sat 02.24.2007 9:14 pm

Anyone who knows about some good schools in japan? Like private schools like genki jacs or other schools..?
Baka mo ichi-gei
\"Even a fool has one talent\"
-Ludo-

RE: Schools..!

Postby Oyaji » Sat 02.24.2007 9:56 pm

My sons go to what I would consider "good schools in Japan". I think you might mean a different kind of school though, so would you please be more specific about what you are interested in?
Oyaji

Postby -Ludo- » Mon 02.26.2007 11:44 am

Sorry,i was drunk when i wrote this post also (Baka)
Well i was thinking of studying Japanese language and culture,something in that direction.. Do you know about some good universities in Japan?
Baka mo ichi-gei
-Ludo-

Postby lemonaid » Mon 02.26.2007 12:19 pm

Judging from your name that reminds me of family trips to the cabin for easter, the waving flag and your drinking habits, can I assume you're norwegian?

If so, here's a couple of links for you:

http://www.svt.ntnu.no/japan/vis.php?groupid=210

[url]http://studentportal.uib.no/index.php?mode=show_page&link_id=2495&toplink_id=.html[url][/url]

http://www.hf.uib.no/LiLi/SLF/und/begjapan.htm

These are links to norwegian universities with exchange programs to Japan, either for one semester or a full-year depending on what you want. This is the easiest and probably best route to take for a norwegian citizen because you automatically get your education approved in Norway and grants and loans from Lånekassen without any hazzle.

Good luck!
Last edited by lemonaid on Mon 02.26.2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 02.26.2007 12:22 pm

Brilliant!

You really narrowed it down this time.

Sorry, I was on Miki prune when I posted this. :o
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby -Ludo- » Mon 02.26.2007 12:27 pm

Yeah that's right :P thx for the link,but do you know about some private schools in Japan also?
Baka mo ichi-gei
-Ludo-

Postby -Ludo- » Mon 02.26.2007 12:30 pm

I didn't see the last links hehe.. but yeah i've been thinking about "Blindern" i know that's the best thing to do,but it's probably more options if you know :)
Baka mo ichi-gei
-Ludo-

Postby lemonaid » Mon 02.26.2007 12:37 pm

Trust me on this, you don't want to go outside a recognized norwegian institution because of the problems it can cause you later in regards to Lånekassen. They are very rigid sometimes and might not give you the money you are entitled to, or hesitate when it comes to converting loans to grants after you've finished your degree. They might not even recognize your degree which means no support whatsoever.

But since you asked I'll point you in the direction of ANSA (http://www.ansa.no, where you can search for your prefered line of study in Japan. I think most if not all courses are approved by Lånekassen.

*I updated the post above and added two more link*
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby -Ludo- » Mon 02.26.2007 12:41 pm

Okay thx for the help,just wanted to check my options :) do you sudy in UIB yourself?
Baka mo ichi-gei
-Ludo-

Postby lemonaid » Mon 02.26.2007 1:25 pm

-Ludo- wrote:
Okay thx for the help,just wanted to check my options :) do you sudy in UIB yourself?

You have a lot of them. I think ANSA is a good place to start.

No, I'm not. Japanese is just something I do to keep myself occupied when I'm not digging deeper into norwegian history (which is very rich and interesting despite what people say), the german language or persian culture. It's a hobby, that's all.

And yourself? Are you fresh out of the army wondering what to do next like so many others at this time of the year? And why Japan if I can ask?
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby -Ludo- » Mon 02.26.2007 1:31 pm

A i see, norrøn mythology? No i'm Russ 07 ;) but i'm going this year again to the fall bacause i have been so much away :P so it's not before 08 i'm going to school again.. why japan? well i just love the culture and the people there,so i want to study more about it.. maybe a english teacher in japan :P
Baka mo ichi-gei
-Ludo-

Postby lemonaid » Mon 02.26.2007 2:18 pm

-Ludo- wrote:
A i see, norrøn mythology? No i'm Russ 07 ;) but i'm going this year again to the fall bacause i have been so much away :P so it's not before 08 i'm going to school again.. why japan? well i just love the culture and the people there,so i want to study more about it.. maybe a english teacher in japan :P

Oh, you're going to have to face a small obstacle if you want to be an english teacher in Japan. You'll need a high score on the ESL test since your mother tongue is not english, and you might be rejected even with an high ESL score because a bachelor degree is three years in Norway whereas the requirements to most eikawa schools is a four year bachelor degree like they have in the US or GB. I don't know much about the JET program, but it might be worth a shot. It's very competitive though, so you'd have to work hard.
I'm not trying to discourage you here, just to give you an accurate idea of where you're at and what's ahead. Good luck!
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby -Ludo- » Mon 02.26.2007 2:44 pm

What's a life without a dream :) Well something in Japan then hehe :P And thx for the info and help :)
Baka mo ichi-gei
-Ludo-

Postby poppop » Fri 03.02.2007 10:43 am

lemonaid wrote:
-Ludo- wrote:

Oh, you're going to have to face a small obstacle if you want to be an english teacher in Japan. You'll need a high score on the ESL test since your mother tongue is not english, and you might be rejected even with an high ESL score because a bachelor degree is three years in Norway whereas the requirements to most eikawa schools is a four year bachelor degree like they have in the US or GB. I don't know much about the JET program, but it might be worth a shot. It's very competitive though, so you'd have to work hard.
I'm not trying to discourage you here, just to give you an accurate idea of where you're at and what's ahead. Good luck!

i'm checkin' out some schools myself now... will graduate from my gymnasium in less than 1,5 year (it's like High school). I have been woundering what jobs i could get and so on... first i was thinking of to teach english, so what's a ESL test? or a JET program?:S... would a CAE be okay? (Certificate in Advanced English)... because i can choose CAE as a individual subject at my last year.
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby lemonaid » Fri 03.02.2007 11:57 am

I'm sorry, what I meant was that you need a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_English_as_a_Foreign_Language.

Here is more about JET: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JET_%28Japan_Exchange_and_Teaching%29_program

http://www.jetprogramme.org/

poppop: A CAE is not enough. You'll need an undergraduate degree in any subject, preferably English of course (if you want to teach it that is) and the TEFL certificate I mentioned at the top.
Last edited by lemonaid on Fri 03.02.2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan