Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Schools..!

Schools..!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Schools..!

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.02.2007 1:24 pm

Wow, I had no idea Norway was so strict on it's educational fundings.. So, one small miscommunication and there goes teh grant? ouch.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby lemonaid » Fri 03.02.2007 1:53 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Wow, I had no idea Norway was so strict on it's educational fundings.. So, one small miscommunication and there goes teh grant? ouch.

Yeah, it used to be fairly strict. Especially if you wanted to study abroad. It appears they're not as strict now as they used to be. I see they've changed their policy somewhat since the last time I stopped by their website. Now "the educational institution has to be officially recognised by the relevant authority in the country in question", among other things. The list of approved universities and colleges in Japan is still fairly short though:

KYUSHU UNIVERSITY
OSAKA UNIVERSITY OF FOREIGN STUDIES
RITSUMEIKAN ASIA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF THE RYUKYUS
UNIVERSITY OF TOKYO
WASEDA UNIVERSITY

http://www.lanekassen.no/templates/Page____5789.aspx

I do understand it though. The rigid system is there because the government through the educational fund (Lånekassen) funds all students for the duration of their time in higher education. You get around 13 000 USD per year to pay for your living costs, study material and entertainment, half of which will be turned into grants once you've passed your exams. Collectively, this is an insane amount of money, so to ensure that they get their money back they only fund you if you go to a recognized university/college which later will ensure you a stable income.
Last edited by lemonaid on Fri 03.02.2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.02.2007 2:39 pm

I see, it's a way to make sure the student doesn't waste the money from the home country (in this case Norway) on another country .. keeping the money in house, so to speak.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan