Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How has Japanese aided you in your profession

How has Japanese aided you in your profession

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

How has Japanese aided you in your profession

Postby BrianM » Tue 03.06.2007 10:18 pm

i just want to know how japanese has helped u guys in your profesions. I guess this is mainly a question for those who moved to japan and have remained there for many years.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

RE: How has Japanese aided you in your profession

Postby AussieB » Tue 03.06.2007 11:26 pm

Well I only lived there for 9 months, but with some further study when I got back home I am now an Interpreter/ Translator.

The work culture in Japan is very different so I much prefer working here but still being able to use my Japanese skills.
AussieB

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.08.2007 4:33 am

Umm.. without Japanese I would not be able to communicate with co-workers, clients, customers and suppliers. I would not be able to get drunk like a fish with customers after work, thus bringing about "nomunication" and increasing my ability to serve my company.

In my personal life, I would not be able to order a beer, talk to my wife, or yell at the kids to get off my damn lawn.

Were you looking for something a little more specific? :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.08.2007 5:17 am

Well, other than the English teachers, I'm pretty sure everyone who lives in Japan requires Japanese for their jobs. Asking how it has helped them professionally seems like a silly question. (When you got your first job, Brian M, how did your English skills aid you?)

My Japanese will become essential next month when I start attending an all-Japanese school where not one person speaks English.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Kagemaru » Thu 03.08.2007 6:47 am

keatonatron wrote:
Well, other than the English teachers, I'm pretty sure everyone who lives in Japan requires Japanese for their jobs.

Just to be a stick in the mud:

6 periods a day teaching English at a senior high school averages out to 4.5 hours a day using English.

All other communication is in Japanese. Meetings, staffrooms, smoking rooms, etc

Does it aid me?

No.

Is it a necessity?

Yes.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 03.08.2007 9:03 am

Currently my job is teaching assistant for Japanese classes; it would be kind of hard to do any teaching of Japanese if I didn't know the language.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.08.2007 10:16 am

Kagemaru wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
Well, other than the English teachers, I'm pretty sure everyone who lives in Japan requires Japanese for their jobs.

Just to be a stick in the mud:

Just to be a... thing that pulls sticks out of mud, I only mentioned English teachers as a possibility because I figured if I didn't someone could come by and say "I work for Nova and don't speak a single word of Japanese and I do fine!".

I know people like that personally, so I'm positive they exist. ;)

Yes, you definitely can use Japanese if you're an English teacher (I speak more Japanese than English when I'm teaching), but that's probably the only example of a job in Japan where it's possible to get by without (depending on where you work).
keatonatron

Postby PandanoTake » Thu 03.08.2007 10:29 am

I'm also a teacher assistant, as well as a tutor, and communicate socially in Japanese and English.
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby suhui » Thu 03.08.2007 10:35 am

How about when working in the business/finance profession?

Will it be useful for me to go for a very short exchange program (say 2 weeks?) in a Japanese university?
Spoof!
suhui

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 03.08.2007 12:16 pm

well, how about a different spin.. I run into Japanese clients every so often in the "architecture" side of my industry. i also would interact with a few Japanese visitors to DC every so often and I find my knowledge of Japanese to be at least helpful..

I have given directions to different parts of the mall, i sent one poor family on a wild goosechase in DC proper because I forgot exactly where I was.. I was standing right in front the building they were looking for and I thought I was in front of another building.. (yeah, I was a bit embarassed on that one) And I spoke to a client giving him a brief on what exactly was happening with his building .. His interpretor had a sore throat and couldn't speak..

so, I still use it every now and again, but I am not as fluent as I once was.
two_heads_talking

Postby richvh » Thu 03.08.2007 7:54 pm

Well, when I was in Japan for a year, my ability to speak Japanese (or lack thereof) had absolutely no impact on my job, and I wasn't an English teacher.

[spoiler]I was a Marine.[/spoiler]
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 03.08.2007 8:04 pm

What I don't get is why an English teacher in Japan wouldn't need to know Japanese. I mean, when you teach your students grammar, vocab, etc, don't you teach it to them in Japanese? I mean English speakers learning Japanese tend to be taught in English, so shouldn't it be the same thing in Japan, only reversed? If your students are able to understand an entire English lesson in English, I don't think they need a teacher anymore.

And to not highjack the thread, Japanese doesn't help me at my job at all. Well, its not really a job since I don't get paid. It's more like a volunteer job once a week...but occasionally a few Japanese people have shown up, but I didn't actually speak to them in Japanese, since they were more keen on using English and it wouldn't have been nice to just switch languages on them just so I could have someone to practice with.
Last edited by flammable hippo on Thu 03.08.2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 03.08.2007 9:18 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
What I don't get is why an English teacher in Japan wouldn't need to know Japanese. I mean, when you teach your students grammar, vocab, etc, don't you teach it to them in Japanese? I mean English speakers learning Japanese tend to be taught in English, so shouldn't it be the same thing in Japan, only reversed? If your students are able to understand an entire English lesson in English, I don't think they need a teacher anymore.

Welcome to the wonderful world of English "education" in Japan.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Infidel » Thu 03.08.2007 10:22 pm

flammable hippo wrote:

Many of the "English Teacher" programs just use the English speakers as a portable tape recorder.

All you do is read a script--in English. I understand that trying to actually help the Japanese English teachers is strongly discouraged.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.08.2007 11:44 pm

At my work, a very large majority of the students learned enough English in high school and college that they can understand just about anything you say, if you speak slowly. However, they need a lot of practice to be able to talk on their own and fix their grammar mistakes (they don't need to know why it's wrong, just that it is and what the right answer is).
keatonatron

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan