Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How has Japanese aided you in your profession

How has Japanese aided you in your profession

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: How has Japanese aided you in your profession

Postby datdo » Fri 03.09.2007 1:11 am

flammable hippo wrote:
I mean, when you teach your students grammar, vocab, etc, don't you teach it to them in Japanese? I mean English speakers learning Japanese tend to be taught in English, so shouldn't it be the same thing in Japan, only reversed? If your students are able to understand an entire English lesson in English, I don't think they need a teacher anymore.

My school's foreign language program is like in higher level classes. All grammar, vocab, and culture is taught in the language. Students are even sometimes allowed to make side conversations if its in the language.
datdo

Postby Nibble » Fri 03.09.2007 8:52 am

My Japanese classes were entirely in Japanese from 201 on. My Chinese classes were entirely in Chinese from day one. I personally think it's much better this way.
Nibble

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 03.09.2007 9:15 am

The Japanese courses I teach in are done from day 1 with separate sessions -- 5 sessions a week conducted entirely in Japanese, and 2 sessions a week devoted to grammatical and cultural explanations that are done in English.

Even in later years, having grammatical explanations in the native language of the learners is helpful if you are really giving detailed explanations rather than just "translating" the grammatical expressions.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.09.2007 10:42 am

I know the Japanese companies that I have interacted with want an English speaker who can't speak Japanese, thus forcing it's workers to speak only English to be understood. (In other words, speaking Japanese and understanding Japanese would make the students (workers)less likely to speak English if they knew the teacher was able to understand them in Japanese)
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 03.09.2007 10:52 am

BrianM wrote:
i just want to know how japanese has helped u guys in your profesions. I guess this is mainly a question for those who moved to japan and have remained there for many years.

How has it helped?

Since every aspect of my job is done 100% in Japanese I suppose you could say it allows me to do the job at all.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby flammable hippo » Fri 03.09.2007 4:24 pm

Chinese classes were entirely in Chinese from day one.

How exactly did you know what was being said if it was the very first class? That seems kind of early to start teaching entirely in the other language since most likely people will be sitting in their chairs not understanding anything.

If this was an advanced class, then that's a different story...
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Shirasagi » Sat 03.10.2007 12:44 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
Chinese classes were entirely in Chinese from day one.

How exactly did you know what was being said if it was the very first class? That seems kind of early to start teaching entirely in the other language since most likely people will be sitting in their chairs not understanding anything.

If this was an advanced class, then that's a different story...

Because you start with very simple phrases, quite easy to understand given context.

Like Chris Kern, my Japanese class was in Japanese from day one. This is what the teacher did.

Teacher (holding up picture of morning): おはようございます!
Teacher (indicates the class): はい、言ってください。
Us (Unsure, but basically understand): O...ha...yo...gozye...mas...
Teacher: はい、もう一度言ってください!おはようございます!(Indicates the class)
Us: Oha...yoo...gozai...masu.
Teacher (holding up picture of afternoon): こんにちは!

And so on for fifty minutes. These "Greetings and Useful Phrases" were in the textbook (along with Classroom Instructions like "Please say it"). What we didn't quite get in class we soon figured out after reading that part of the textbook. Of course, a few us read ahead before the class anyway, so we had an idea of what was coming. The teachers handed out weekly lesson plans, so we knew what conversations to practice and memorize. The class was essentially time to recite the conversations, and drill the grammar points. Our vocabulary quickly grew. The very first conversations we had to memorize were

A. 分かりますか? B. ええ、わかります。
A. 今日しますね? B. いや、違います。明日しますよ。
A. 分かりましたか? B. ええ、分かりました。
A. 作りましたね? B. はい。昨日作りました。
A. できましたか? B. できました。はい。

So, by the second day we'd been exposed the verbs "understand", "do", "be different", "make", and "can/finish", as well as "today", "tomorrow", "yes", and "no". Needless to say, the first chapter covered verbs: positive, negative, and the perfective forms thereof, so by the end of the week we could say "I understand", "I don't understand", and so on.

Vocab from there quickly grew, and we were practicing it everyday. The greetings, useful phrases, and classroom instructions were learned with minimal fuss by the end of the week.

With our textbook explanations and the twice-a-week lectures in English, we could afford to spend 50 minutes a day in a completely Japanese environment.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan