Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - High School Study Abroad

High School Study Abroad

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

High School Study Abroad

Postby shinjuunk » Sat 03.10.2007 10:59 pm

I recently applied for study abroad program in which I would stay with a host family and attend a Japanese high school for one month in June. After hearing that I got a priliminary acceptance, I am rethinking my decision.

Honestly, I don't think I am prepared enough to travel to Japan. I am almost through with Japanese 1 and should be half-way through Japanese Grammar 2 by the time I travel there. However, this does not cosole me.

I am sixteen, a Junior at an American school in the Philippines. And next year I will graduate at the age of 17. This will still make me eligible to apply for the same program next year. But I will be dealing with college stuff then...

Also, my cousin has asked me to be a part of her wedding (in which many agencies are wanting to meet me for the first time. :O ) There is a conflict here because her wedding is June 8 and the program starts June 6. My mom would love for me to attend the wedding but my father says go to Japan. And I am stuck in the exact center, because I want to go equally to both events!!

I am really interested in the idea of studying at a High School in Japan. (But not for long term like a semester.) So I want to ask for some opinions. Do you think I should go ahead and go through with the program this year and miss the wedding? Would it be a better option to wait until next year to go? Should I apply for something entirely different?! D:
shinjuunk

RE: High School Study Abroad

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 03.11.2007 1:35 am

Japan will be here for a while yet. Your cousin's wedding is (hopefully) a one-time event.

The simple fact about your "studying" at a Japanese high school with minimal Japanese skills and for a period of one month is that precious little resembling "studying" will actually take place.

Also consider the number of relatives you'll piss off if you choose a largely meaningless and entirely postponeable trip to Japan over your cousin's Big Day. You're too young to understand it yet, but there comes a point in a man's life where all the hell he really wants is a little peace at home. Skip the wedding and you won't have much.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.11.2007 2:16 am

I think you should look for a program through your university. Usually universities have much better exchange programs than high schools where you can stay for a longer time and actually learn something.

I think you would enjoy a Japanese university much more than a Japanese high school.
keatonatron

Postby shinjuunk » Sun 03.11.2007 7:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I do think I am leaning towards withdrawing from the program~~
shinjuunk

Postby noisyturtle » Sun 03.11.2007 10:26 pm

Personaly I would do the study abroad. You dan't have that many oppertunities to do that sort of thing. Then again though I don't have a great relationship with any of my cousins. Only one of my cousins is married and I didn't go to the weding (in fact my uncle said he would pay me not to go because it would be cheaper). Although it sounds like you are close to your cousin so I guess it depends on how close you are.
noisyturtle

Postby Dehitay » Mon 03.12.2007 12:01 pm

like noisyturtle, I don't have a close relation with any of my cousins anymore (even though there's more than I can count). I really think this depends on how close you are to your cousin that's getting married. The trip to Japan is much more easily delayed than your cousin's wedding. However, if you're not really that close and you don't want to meet any of those agencies, go on to Japan. Sure the lack of communication skills is something to worry about. However, actually being in Japan is the quickest way to improve them.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby noisyturtle » Mon 03.12.2007 2:15 pm

I have one other thing to say. It doesn't sound like that you were actually accepted to the program yet. So I would wait until you know for sure before worring about this and making up your mind. Also f you are accepted, great, but if you arn't at least it was an easy decision.
noisyturtle

Postby shinjuunk » Wed 03.14.2007 1:26 am

Me and my cousin who is getting married aren't as close as we'd like to be because she's always overseas on sets and such, but I'm very close to my family since most of my cousins practically all live in the same house~ especially on the holidays.

I've decided to withdraw from the program as soon as I tell my father. (I have to tell them "ASAP" because of travel arrangements). I hope he doesn't take it badly. My mom says that I can go visit her other sister (Who she just told me about yesterday =__= [small][I hope that's ok english][/small] ) in Japan over the summer anyway, and I think I will plan to apply for a similar program next year or while I am studying in college.

Thanks for your suggestions.
shinjuunk

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 03.14.2007 1:34 am

I went when I was in J2, it was fun, but I still should have waited. I don't know what kind of financial plan you're working off of, but it would be better to wait for college, because you actually get credits and stuff for it. Additionally, if you wait (and continue to take Japanese), you'll obviously obtain more knowledge of the Japanese language and culture. If you go now, it will look good on your application, but it's really nothing but a fun trip overall. I'm hoping I can afford to go overseas again, because I cannot even begin to express how much it would help me in pursuing my major. So, in short, I say wait. However, it is your choice in life and I am not one to make your decisions for you.

On a side note, I wouldn't look into going to college to major in Japanese or anything yet if you want to excel more in that field. The majority of American colleges that offer such programs and languages usually require three to four years of previous study in that particular language. I don't know what it's like in the Phillipines, but I'm just putting my two cents in.

Good luck!
エド より
PandanoTake

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan