Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Postby callender07 » Thu 03.15.2007 9:20 am

I know it's a touchy issue for some, but I'm doing a sociology project and I would really appreciate any input.

Because both cultures are so similar and the countries are so close, I would think that Japan and China's relationship wouldn't be so bitter. Why do you think it's that way?
callender07

RE: Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Postby Kdar » Thu 03.15.2007 9:30 am

I not "expert"... But I sure they are not so same.. or similar.

Japan and China was separated by sea..

And both countries had policy of isolation from others.

Different culture etc...
Last edited by Kdar on Thu 03.15.2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby callender07 » Thu 03.15.2007 9:35 am

Kdar wrote:
I not "expert"... But I sure they are not so same.. or similar.

Japan and China was separated by sea.. Different culture etc...

Both countries had policy of isolation from others.

Well, they're both pretty similar for many reasons, I think. For one, the writing system. The Japanese borrowed that from the Chinese. I believe they both have similar spiritual backgrounds. Then there are the smaller things, like both countries showing a certain degree of respect in society.
callender07

Postby lemonaid » Thu 03.15.2007 9:58 am

Well, you have the Battle of Baekgang in 663 AD and there were also some conflicts over Korea in the last decade of the 1500s. Then there was the first and second sino-japanese war, between 1894 and 1895 and 1931 and 1945 respectively, that without a doubt shaped their later relationship.

You can find a descent article on sino-japanese relations here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Japanese_relations
Last edited by lemonaid on Thu 03.15.2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.15.2007 9:59 am

callender07 wrote:
Because both cultures are so similar and the countries are so close

...The cultures are nothing alike.

They're both Asian countries, which makes them more similar to each other than to Western nations, and Japan did "borrow" a lot of cultural and stylistic ideas from China, but underneath their actual cultures are very very different.

Japan adopted the writing system and borrowed many words, but it's really not that much different from nearly all of Europe borrowing the Latin alphabet (and English stealing words from EVERYONE). The grammatical structures and pronunciation of both languages are completely different.

If you read about the military history of Japan, Korea, and China, you will see why the current relationship is the way it is (I did a research project on this just last summer).

Oh, and about spiritual stuff: Buddhism came to China from India, then travelled to Japan through Korea. The fact that there are many Buddhists in both countries is similar of course, but Japan's native religion (Shinto) is completely unique to Japan. (I did a research project on this as well two years ago B))
Last edited by keatonatron on Thu 03.15.2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Dehitay » Thu 03.15.2007 9:59 am

Also, similar to the way some people in the US are still upset about slavery, there are a lot of people in China still upset with Japan during it's actions during the World War.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 03.15.2007 10:31 am

callender07 wrote:
Because both cultures are so similar and the countries are so close, I would think that Japan and China's relationship wouldn't be so bitter.

I'm not sure why you would think that. Just look at the relationships of European countries for the last hundred years. They have similar cultures and are close to each other but it's only relatively recently that they have been able to get along.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby callender07 » Thu 03.15.2007 11:20 am

keatonatron wrote:
callender07 wrote:
Because both cultures are so similar and the countries are so close

...The cultures are nothing alike.

They're both Asian countries, which makes them more similar to each other than to Western nations, and Japan did "borrow" a lot of cultural and stylistic ideas from China, but underneath their actual cultures are very very different.

Japan adopted the writing system and borrowed many words, but it's really not that much different from nearly all of Europe borrowing the Latin alphabet (and English stealing words from EVERYONE). The grammatical structures and pronunciation of both languages are completely different.

If you read about the military history of Japan, Korea, and China, you will see why the current relationship is the way it is (I did a research project on this just last summer).

Oh, and about spiritual stuff: Buddhism came to China from India, then travelled to Japan through Korea. The fact that there are many Buddhists in both countries is similar of course, but Japan's native religion (Shinto) is completely unique to Japan. (I did a research project on this as well two years ago B))

Sure, Japan has a lot of qualities that makes it a country unlike any other in the world, but it still shares a lot of the same charateristics as China. I'm not saying their identical, but I don't think they're opposites either.

They both had confucianism, daoism, similar political and economic systems, were completely patriarchal, and - well - Japan's "birth" was originally based on China.
callender07

Postby callender07 » Thu 03.15.2007 11:21 am

hungryhotei wrote:
callender07 wrote:
Because both cultures are so similar and the countries are so close, I would think that Japan and China's relationship wouldn't be so bitter.

I'm not sure why you would think that. Just look at the relationships of European countries for the last hundred years. They have similar cultures and are close to each other but it's only relatively recently that they have been able to get along.

But, you know, I don't think Japan and China can be compared to European countries.

Here, just check this page out. It shows that yeah, they're not identical, but they're not complete opposites either: http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... ences.html
callender07

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.15.2007 1:10 pm

callender07 wrote:
They both had confucianism, daoism, similar political and economic systems

So is Zimbabwe similar to the United States because they both have Christianity and a president? ;)

were completely patriarchal

Name one country in the world that wasn't at some point.

I think this is a good topic for you to study. I never studied the similiarities of China and Japan, I only studied China when it showed up in my research of Japan's religious and military history. I think it's important to make a distinction between "influenced by" and "similar to".

After studying China's influences on Japan, I went to China... and saw that it's absolutely nothing like Japan. B)
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Thu 03.15.2007 3:08 pm

The United States is smack up against Mexico. How come *we* are so different?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 03.15.2007 3:11 pm

Because we aren't all trying to go to mexico to find a better place to live? ;)
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Thu 03.15.2007 3:16 pm

AJBryant wrote:
The United States is smack up against Mexico. How come *we* are so different?

Tony

spanish colonization vs English and Dutch colonization.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 03.15.2007 4:40 pm

Japan and China are about as similar to one another as the United States is to Russia. To most westerners, they may look similar at first glance, but when you actually experience the culture, people and language, they are worlds apart.

Granted, I am not very knowledgeable of China yet myself. In all honesty, I don't like the culture and language that much, but I am still ignorant, so it is something I really should explore.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Thu 03.15.2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 03.15.2007 4:52 pm

The relationship between the two coutries can be considered bitter for a lot of reasons. The rape of Nanjing anyone? Japan beating China in the Sino-Japanese wars, Japan taking over Taiwan which belonged to China. Japan totally screwed China over and China probably took this more personally than they would have with another nation because China had viewed itself as the mohter country to Japan and it's like having your child turn on you so to speak.

Japan is still apologizing for its actions during WW2. My global teacher has a copy of an article written in 2005 about the Japanese apologizing to China.

Also, the cultures are pretty similar but also vastly different. Like, a lot of the times when I look up cultural stuff from Japan, they often say "...originating in China..." Some examples include origami, and I think the shamisen. But Japan always drastically alters these things to match their own likings. They really are different cultures.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan