Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japanese/Chinese relations - touchy subject

Postby Teh_Freak » Thu 03.15.2007 7:15 pm

callender07 wrote:
similar political and economic systems

So Communism and Capitalism are similar? Well I'll be.
A Parliamentary Monarchy and a Communist run regime are similar as well 'eh?

Anywho, I think you see at what everyone's saying. The only real similarities between the two are the writing systems and some stylistic things.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby callender07 » Thu 03.15.2007 7:43 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
The relationship between the two coutries can be considered bitter for a lot of reasons. The rape of Nanjing anyone? Japan beating China in the Sino-Japanese wars, Japan taking over Taiwan which belonged to China. Japan totally screwed China over and China probably took this more personally than they would have with another nation because China had viewed itself as the mohter country to Japan and it's like having your child turn on you so to speak.

Japan is still apologizing for its actions during WW2. My global teacher has a copy of an article written in 2005 about the Japanese apologizing to China.

Also, the cultures are pretty similar but also vastly different. Like, a lot of the times when I look up cultural stuff from Japan, they often say "...originating in China..." Some examples include origami, and I think the shamisen. But Japan always drastically alters these things to match their own likings. They really are different cultures.

Thank you, that's a great answer.
callender07

Postby Infidel » Thu 03.15.2007 7:48 pm

Even the writing systems aren't very similar. The similarities are mostly cosmetic. Like the similarities between the russian and english alphabet.

Kanji will often have several sounds and meanings associated with it but Hanzi with several sounds and meanings are much more rare.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 03.15.2007 8:02 pm

similarities between the russian and english alphabet.

I think a better analogy would be the similarities between the Russian and Greek alphabets.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby trabia-wind » Thu 03.15.2007 9:06 pm

well, lots of chinese don't want to forgive japan because while most japanese i'm sure are fine, they still try to conceal lots of the "bad" history like the rape of nanjing and wwii in textbooks.. where they make themselves look better than they were. also some things like japan apologizing but then china wasn't happy because the prime minister still visited the shrine honoring all the dead soldiers... idk if japan is sincere or not, but many chinese don't think so. (but korea hates japan even more than china does. hm.)

like.. there's a japanese department store all over china called ito yokado i think. and when i went back last year, i heard about some students who smashed the windows in one of them because it's japanese. but those people are probably more extreme than most would act...
trabia-wind

Postby PlaceboZA » Tue 03.20.2007 11:30 am

This thread is quite enlightening - thanks everyone :)
I too had thought that there was a lot of cultural similarity between the two.
Now I understand the chinese shop owner's 'measured' reactions to my discussion about japanese.

Though he still offered to help me learn chinese, should I ever get to it :D
Feel free to email me if you want a South African penpal :)
PlaceboZA

Postby Jim » Tue 03.20.2007 1:37 pm

Teh_Freak wrote:
callender07 wrote:
similar political and economic systems

So Communism and Capitalism are similar? Well I'll be.
A Parliamentary Monarchy and a Communist run regime are similar as well 'eh?

Anywho, I think you see at what everyone's saying. The only real similarities between the two are the writing systems and some stylistic things.

China isnt exactly a communist country or economy. They like to think it is.

I dont want to get into the debate about the cultures being the same or not because I'm not very knowledgable on the history of both countries. What I can say is that culture clashes or similarities isnt unique to those two countries, and a lot of anger from either side comes from what their military and governments done. Nanjing is probably the big one however it should be noted that the Chinese government is as ruthless to its own people as the Japanese military was to the Chinese, so we could say most of it also comes from nationalism.

Japanese are proud of their country, equally Chinese are proud of their country, yet neither will know the full extent of what each country has done; I've read plenty of times (and to the chinese governments anger) that the Japanese history education doesnt include much about what they done in China, and equally the Chinese have done a good job internally at covering up what happened at say, Tiananmen square (i remember seeing a documentary and apparently not many youths know the real score on what happened).

Another example to stress this point; How many British know the real truth of what happened in Ireland when the Black and Tans where around? How many Americans know the full extent of Vietnam outside of media reports? How many Russians know the full extent of Chechnya? Not many because the general public do not do a lot of reading into these things nor are they taught the full story.
Last edited by Jim on Tue 03.20.2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby Toriyama » Fri 03.23.2007 8:33 pm

I am currently studying the Japanese language and culture and Chinese language and culture. I must say that they have vVERY different ways of thinking in terms of their beliefs and philosophy and such. They may be soe similarities here and there, but for the most part they are very different. One thing I must note is that the Chnese language (Mandarin) is an SVO language while Japanese is a SOV language. Also, politeness levels in speech are unique to the Japanese, as Chinese is similar to English in that is has words that you can add to make it polite, but not polite versions of words (only in certain cases like when addressing people above you.)
Last edited by Toriyama on Fri 03.23.2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toriyama

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan