View topic - Passmo

Passmo

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Passmo

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.22.2007 1:35 pm

Mukade wrote:
What's so great about Tokyo anyways....?!? :@

Free trains rides and Passmo?

Actually, I really don't like Tokyo. I really don't want to live there, but I have to if I want to pursue my interests. Luckily I found an apartment far enough away that I can pretend I'm not there on my days off.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby PsychoSP » Thu 03.22.2007 1:52 pm

Mukade wrote:

Don't worry, Mukade, you're not alone. I'm a Kinki boy at heart too. At least the two of us know 関西 is the best part of Japan!
PsychoSP

Postby suhui » Thu 03.22.2007 10:37 pm

How would you rate the cities transport (forget about JR..)? Osaka, Tokyo, Yokohama, Sapporo, Kyuushu etc..
Spoof!
suhui

Postby spin13 » Sun 03.25.2007 2:53 am

keatonatron wrote:
Recently, Passmo has taken over. It's a system exactly like Suica, except that ALL train lines (and even buses!) have been adapted to use it.

While this Passmo sounds great, I prefer to use Pasmo which actually exists in reality.

When it's said that they are "exactly like Suica" what should be pointed out is that, for Tokyo, Suica and Pasmo are functionally identical. If you already have a Suica card you need not change it for Pasmo. As well, though I haven't seen any documentation on it, use of the standard debit card Suica no longer deducts the standard 130JPY for JR (the lowest, 1 or 2 station, price) at the station of departure. I'm not sure if there is any inherent advantage to this (I haven't tried entering and leaving the same station yet); it just seems to be a side effect of being integrated with non-JR lines.

Mukade wrote:

Hey, don't be so bitter, I hear they'll be installing/integrating Pasmo in Kansai, too. In a year or two!
Hahaha, get with the now!

Sincerely,
-Eric
Last edited by spin13 on Sun 03.25.2007 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.25.2007 4:19 am

spin13 wrote:
While this Passmo sounds great, I prefer to use Pasmo which actually exists in reality.

Smartass :p

I just translated it from パスも, I didn't even pay attention to the real English name until now.  :|

I noticed the same thing about it not deducting any money until you actually leave. I wonder why they changed it. I haven't tried to exit from the same station, but it seems like allowing that would make it too convenient for people who want to take advantage of the system.
keatonatron

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan