Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello, my name is James MacWhyte.

Hello, my name is James MacWhyte.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Hello, my name is James MacWhyte.

Postby Seapony » Wed 04.04.2007 9:22 pm

Infidel wrote:
Heh, known you almost 10 years and I only now learn your name :)

Hello James :)

Has it been that long? *checking forum login status*

:o

Great, now I feel horrible. My Japanese hasn't advanced at all since then. Bubbye, I'm off to get drunk now.

;)
Seapony

Postby tanuki » Wed 04.04.2007 9:40 pm

I wonder if asking what his name was never ocurred to you? :/
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Seapony » Wed 04.04.2007 10:42 pm

Hehe, I just assumed his name was Keaton something or other. Maybe related to Michael Keaton somehow. Okay, no, it's never occured to me. I've known Rykk and Tony for about as long and I only know their names because they posted it. That's pretty bad after all these years.

;)
Last edited by Seapony on Wed 04.04.2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

Postby enpitsu00 » Wed 04.04.2007 11:09 pm

Last edited by enpitsu00 on Mon 07.11.2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enpitsu00

Postby hiwa » Wed 04.04.2007 11:24 pm

As a general topic, if your Web site should be seen by widest audience, don't use add-ons that are platform-dependent in their functionalities. In other words, your page should not have "You need XXXX to view this page" type message. Learn from such major site as YouTube and Web sites of major multinational corporations. For instance, your page won't be viewed fully on an OLPC(http://www.laptop.org/).
hiwa

Postby keatonatron » Thu 04.05.2007 3:53 am

Wow, it's been less than 24 hours and already 19 replies! :o
(and adding this reply turned the icon red. Awesome!)

spin13 wrote:
Site worked fine for me although the videos were unaccessible.

You might have to wait a bit for them to load. What do you see? A white box?

Out of curiosity, what kind of degrees does Tōhō College of Film award? Or what would it be equivalent to in the States? Is the average student coming straight from high school or are the majority college graduates such as yourself?

It's a technical school. So, they don't really offer degrees, but instead give certifications (a certificate showing you graduated from the school and specialized in whatever). The difference with a technical school is that you really can only do the one job you are trained to do, while a college degree (which I already have) can be used in many different situations. The majority of students go right after high school, but there are always a few people who come in later on in life.

Hark wrote:
Oh, I see your intentions! Based on the language settings you display either english (index_en.htm) or japanese (index_ja.htm) version. Well, but you should have one "default" option for not mentioned cases.

There is a default option, and it's supposed to send you there if your language isn't "en" or "ja"... in theory. I'll have to test it out (although I only have an "en" computer ;) )

Hark wrote:
Oh, OK. I checked it in ff and it worked. You should've edit it so that it'd display on most browsers. It doesn't work in Opera nor in ie6.

This was a result of your language settings, right? I have fixed the "not defaulting to English" bug!

Kdar wrote:
Pretty good Flash intro. You made it?

Yes. I learned actionscripting just for this purpose and built the whole thing from the ground up.

hiwa wrote:
As a general topic, if your Web site should be seen by widest audience, don't use add-ons that are platform-dependent in their functionalities. In other words, your page should not have "You need XXXX to view this page" type message. Learn from such major site as YouTube and Web sites of major multinational corporations. For instance, your page won't be viewed fully on an OLPC(http://www.laptop.org/).

I am working on a mobile version of the site. You can see it now--try accessing http://www.jmacwhyte.com from your cell phone. When someone visits the site and they don't have a modern, full-capability browser, it will automatically send them to a simpler site.

I have to specify each browser type by name, which means if I don't know the name of the browser I can't add it it. I can find out the names of browsers people are using in my server logs, but they have to visit before I can see it in the log. In other words, right now some mobile browsers might not work, but if you wait for me to find it in the log and add it into my script, it will work in the future.
Last edited by keatonatron on Thu 04.05.2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby hiwa » Thu 04.05.2007 5:04 am

> they don't have a modern, full-capability browser
It is not browser issue. It is platform issue. Currenty, you only assume newer versions of Windows, that could run the latest version of Flash et al, as visitor's platform.
hiwa

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.05.2007 11:18 am

the vids are kinda nice.. However, I will have to admit, you look nothing like what I had imagined..

it brought back memories of watching the kids DDR at home and in the mall.. nice job.. :p
two_heads_talking

Postby hyperconjugated » Thu 04.05.2007 12:56 pm

You've made nice and elegant
webpage. It runs smoothly on
my browser(firefox), appreciated.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby tanuki » Thu 04.05.2007 1:17 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Wow, it's been less than 24 hours and already 19 replies! :o

Bah, about half of those replies were the "site doesn't work!" kind and most of them made by the same three people, so don't think you're popular or anything. ;)

EDIT: By the way, that pink avatar looks *so* fashionable. I want that on a t-shirt.
Last edited by tanuki on Thu 04.05.2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby keatonatron » Sat 04.07.2007 5:59 am

hiwa wrote:
Currenty, you only assume newer versions of Windows, that could run the latest version of Flash et al, as visitor's platform.

No I don't. In order to see the full version of the site, you need a modern browser--which you can get on any Macintosh, Windows, or Linux PC made within the past 10 years.

If your platform can't support a modern browser, the site will change to the minimal version, where you don't need flash, CSS, or Javascript.

Besides, earlier you cited YouTube as a good example. YouTube requires flash, just like my site does, so your childrens' laptops can't view that site either.
keatonatron

Postby Tegyrius » Sat 04.07.2007 6:47 am

Nice kea.. I mean James. The fireflies were kind of cool :)

two_heads_talking wrote:
the vids are kinda nice.. However, I will have to admit, you look nothing like what I had imagined..

Indeed. I always thought you wore a white hat!
I'll be checking in every now and then to see how you are doing. Good luck!
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby keatonatron » Sun 04.08.2007 9:50 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
However, I will have to admit, you look nothing like what I had imagined..

That's probably because the pictures look nothing like me. I don't wear bright neon clothes, my hair isn't poofed up and I don't usually have a giant goofy grin on my face.
keatonatron

Postby hiraikotsu » Sun 04.08.2007 11:52 pm

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
However, I will have to admit, you look nothing like what I had imagined..

That's probably because the pictures look nothing like me. I don't wear bright neon clothes, my hair isn't poofed up and I don't usually have a giant goofy grin on my face.

I thought THT was referring to your previous avatar.
I know I had gotten used to seeing a white hat guy with slit eyes, picking at his teeth :D
hiraikotsu

Postby caroline » Mon 04.09.2007 6:18 am

keatonatron wrote:
Wow, it's been less than 24 hours and already 19 replies!

Bah, about half of those replies were the "site doesn't work!" kind and most of them made by the same three people, so don't think you're popular or anything.

It might look like there might be a bit of jealousy, Tanuki.

Keat, nice site (which works with no problem whatsoever), interesting blog,so just keep on...
caroline

Native language: Français

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan