Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Foreign movies

Foreign movies

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Foreign movies

Postby BetterSense » Wed 04.04.2007 9:24 pm

Maybe this should be in the movies.

Anyway, I was reading that mononoke hime was the highest grossing film in japan until Titanic. Titanic is, of course, not a japanese movie. In the US, there's no way in hell our highest grossing movie would be a foreign movie, because we make the biggest movies in the world. Sometimes I forget how big the foreign audience is for American movies...I think I was reading that the Bourne Supremacy made more money overseas than domestically.

Anyway, it made me think that the market for foreign movies must be much bigger in japan, and heck they must show a whole lot of foreign (to Japan) movies in theaters even. So, are all these movies overdubbed into japanese, or subtitled in japanese, or shown raw, or what?
BetterSense

RE: Foreign movies

Postby AJBryant » Wed 04.04.2007 9:31 pm

Subbed in the theater, dubbed on TV.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Wed 04.04.2007 9:38 pm

That's good! I *hate* dubbed films, especially in the theatre!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby chikara » Wed 04.04.2007 10:00 pm

BetterSense wrote:
..... because we make the biggest movies in the world.......

What do you mean by "biggest"? Biggest cast? Most expensive?

AJBryant wrote:
Subbed in the theater, dubbed on TV.

I was told by a local on my first visit that they were dubbed in the theatre. I share tanuki-san's dislike for dubbed movies so I never bothered to find out for myself.

Watched a couple of USA movies on the TV while in Japan recently and one, "Face Off" was just subbed while the other "Behind Enemy Lines" was both dubbed and subbed.

Sean Archer (John Travolta/Nicholas Cage): #$%^ you! #$%^ you! #$%^ you!
Subtitle: お前 お前 お前
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby doinkies » Wed 04.04.2007 10:36 pm

Though most foreign movies are shown subbed in the theaters, there are also some (mostly kids' movies) that have both subbed and dubbed showings.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Kdar » Wed 04.04.2007 11:58 pm

BetterSense wrote:In the US, there's no way in hell our highest grossing movie would be a foreign movie, because we make the biggest movies in the world. Sometimes I forget how big the foreign audience is for American movies...

Its because in USA, they don't show a single foreign movie. Just Americans (mostly Americans.

Its nothing have to do with how the film was made..........
Its just, most Americans... NEVER watch a foreign movie. They don't know whats "out there"
Kdar

Postby Dehitay » Thu 04.05.2007 3:05 pm

Kdar wrote:
BetterSense wrote:In the US, there's no way in hell our highest grossing movie would be a foreign movie, because we make the biggest movies in the world. Sometimes I forget how big the foreign audience is for American movies...

Its because in USA, they don't show a single foreign movie. Just Americans (mostly Americans.

Its nothing have to do with how the film was made..........
Its just, most Americans... NEVER watch a foreign movie. They don't know whats "out there"

I believe a number of Godzilla movies were made in Japan. Or at least I hope so, cause the dubbing annoyed the hell out of me and they better have a good excuse for it
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Kdar » Thu 04.05.2007 3:53 pm

Well Godzilla, ok. Maybe I don't know. I wasn't in USA at the time. If they showed here or not.

But on average... People here don't see foreign movies. They don't show them on TV or in theaters.

Its even hard to find a foreign movie here.
And I mean. If the person never watched a foreign movie.. (The average person). I am sure it would be hard for him to gain the interest somehow.
Kdar

Postby Kisshu » Thu 04.05.2007 4:10 pm

Lawl. But do they dub their imported animated movies in theater? Such as Disney movies? -is a horrible disney lover-

Its even hard to find a foreign movie here.
And I mean. If the person never watched a foreign movie.. (The average person). I am sure it would be hard for him to gain the interest somehow.

Letters from Iwo Jima... somewhat foreign. I mean it IS a hollywood film but nonetheless, it had Kazunari Ninomiya in . <3<3
Last edited by Kisshu on Thu 04.05.2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby doinkies » Thu 04.05.2007 4:54 pm

Kisshu wrote:
Lawl. But do they dub their imported animated movies in theater? Such as Disney movies? -is a horrible disney lover-

Well, as I said earlier:

Though most foreign movies are shown subbed in the theaters, there are also some (mostly kids' movies) that have both subbed and dubbed showings.

Disney movies fall under the category of "kids' movies", so they have both subbed and dubbed showings in the theaters.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Kisshu » Thu 04.05.2007 5:04 pm

Disney movies fall under the category of "kids' movies"

Humph. Ok. But I still love em.
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby doinkies » Thu 04.05.2007 5:09 pm

Well, I wasn't saying that ONLY kids watch them... :p just that they are considered kids' movies by theaters.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Kisshu » Thu 04.05.2007 7:04 pm

Well, I wasn't saying that ONLY kids watch them... :D just that they are considered kids' movies by theaters.

LOL. No. Ima kid. No worries XDDD -is 3 years old at heart-
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Kdar » Thu 04.05.2007 8:40 pm

Kisshu wrote:
Letters from Iwo Jima... somewhat foreign. I mean it IS a hollywood film but nonetheless, it had Kazunari Ninomiya in . <3<3

Its still American, from American point of view.. mostly.

(For the movie to be a "foreign" director have to be a foreigner.. actors are actors)

But.. Where all the French, Italian some other movies? or Japanese at list...

Like Taxi for example. No one saw it.... or Leon/Professional... only some people know about it.

And about Taxi... Americans maked this some stupid remake.. :@ It was ugly.. and so stupid (the remake)

Every thing is remake.. Why? (like Japanese horrors and such)
Last edited by Kdar on Thu 04.05.2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 04.05.2007 8:45 pm

Every thing is remake.. Why? (like Japanese horrors and such)

Because movie producers have reached their creative peak and are now slowly spiraling down into the dark abyss of emptyheadedness. Even American movies are being remade into new American movies. It's really annoying. A very large portion of movies that came out in American theaters in the past several years were remakes. Maybe even half.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan