Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tenrikyo

Tenrikyo

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Tenrikyo

Postby jrivera » Thu 04.05.2007 1:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm learning Japanese at Tenri Cultural Institute here in NY.
They don't preach or try to convert anyone to Tenrikyo which made me all the more curious about the religion.

From what I read it was once consider a sect of Shintoism but really has little in common with it.

Do they have a large presence in Japan?

I could easily ask these questions at the institute but I was hoping for an outside opinion (one who does not practice the religion but knows about it).

Thanks
jrivera

RE: Tenrikyo

Postby AJBryant » Thu 04.05.2007 4:03 pm

Tony
(feeling curmudgeonly today)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby jrivera » Thu 04.05.2007 4:23 pm

Google, wow who knew! I've already looked it up and read the Wikipedia article about it but it's not the same as asking the opinion of someone that has been to/lives in Japan and has direct experience.

In that case, if everything could be found on google, why host forums on this site at all??? Surely every question ever asked has already been answered and can be googled. What if I googled it and the results directed me to thejapanesepage.com. Would my question still be insignificant then?

P.S.
Someone, somewhere has to ask and answer questions for it to show up on google.

Anyway, is Tenri looked upon as a real religion or a fringe religion/cult like Scientology? Do the worshippers face discrimination like Jews?

If anyone else has some insight I'd appreciate it.
jrivera

Postby jrivera » Thu 04.05.2007 4:39 pm

Here's an example of some of the text I've read about Tenrikyo.
This is my favorite passage because it's 3 paragraphs that repeats the same sentence 10 times without explaining anything.
Amusing but not very informative:

Tenrikyo came into existence on October 26,1838, when God the Parent, Tenri-O-no-Mikoto, became revealed through Oyasama, Miki Nakayama, to save all humankind. God the Parent is the original and true Parent of all humankind who not only created humankind but has nurtured and protected human beings ever since.

God the Parent created humankind so that by seeing us live the Joyous Life, God could share in our joy. The living of the Joyous Life is, therefore, the purpose of our existence. Since God the Parent is our Parent, we are all God's children, and thus we should realize that we are all brothers and sisters.

We are taught that our bodies are borrowed from God the Parent and only our minds belong to us and, by the proper use of our minds, we will be able to live the Joyous Life.
jrivera

Postby AJBryant » Thu 04.05.2007 7:54 pm

Well, let me give you a hint, then.

WHen you ask a blanket question, you can *start* by saying "I've already looked XYZ, read ABC, and QPR. Does anyone else know of...?"

Because I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people who are willing to help will do the google search themselves, look at the article, and maybe then spoonfeed you the information they don't know you already know. In other words, they've just wasted their time because you framed a question badly.

We get too many people asking questions today who aren't willing to do their own research; so unless you tell us you *have*, we will (1) assume you haven't, and (2) tell you to do it yourself.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Tempermental » Fri 04.06.2007 10:12 am

AJBryant,

You're acting like a real prick! People come here to get answers. How about you answer this person's question and if you don't know the answer, then leave it alone. What kind of example are you setting for others who use this forum?

Dickhead!
Tempermental

Postby flammable hippo » Fri 04.06.2007 10:58 am

What a nice choice for a first post...
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Kdar » Fri 04.06.2007 11:25 am

Tempermental wrote:
AJBryant,

You're acting like a real prick! People come here to get answers. How about you answer this person's question and if you don't know the answer, then leave it alone. What kind of example are you setting for others who use this forum?

Dickhead!

nice... hihihi. :) ;)

This can helps too, AJBryant....... Double dose probably would be better. Maybe like.. One at morning.. other at night. etc.

Besides... I don't think he was asking you what is that religion. But what your own view.. (from people who lived in Japan).
Last edited by Kdar on Fri 04.06.2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby jrivera » Fri 04.06.2007 11:28 am

I have to agree with my classmate's sentiment. If it were any other random smart ass I would have ignored it but this behavior from an administrator reflects poorly on the site.
The first thing I said in my post was that I read up on it.

From what I read...

I don't need anyone to copy and paste things from Google for me. And to assume that is what I was looking for is offensive.
Anyone could infer that I was looking for a more personal response with someone that has knowledge about the subject.

Maybe I should just limit myself to trivial vocabulary word questions.. something easier for administrators to handle because taking a genuine interest in Japanese culture and religion is obviously too complex of a topic.

jrivera

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 04.06.2007 11:32 am

A very close friend of mine is the 部長 for Tenri University Library. I often visit Tenri city and find the place and religion most intriguing though I am not a follower.

Like you say, they do not try to convert, preach or shove anything down your throat.

Many people volunteer work/services in exchange for apartments and housing. It's incredible how many people are employed by Tenri headquarters, from professional services to blue collar workers. Such a bustling and immaculate city.
No kidding, even in Autumn it is rare to find a single leaf in the street.

A Judo scholarship from Tenri University is very prestigious as Tenri University has produced many of Japans current and former domestic and world Judo champions.

Tenri has a distinct logo that is tiled and used on the roofing of buildings making Tenri owned property easy to identify. The amount of property owned by Tenri religion is staggering, hospitals, schools, you name it. I once fell off my bicycle riding around Tenri and went to the nearest clinic. Amazingly, it was free and I didn't need to be a follower to benefit for the free service, nor was I subjected to a one hour sermon either before or after I was bandaged and stiched. Most interesting.

Does it have a huge following in Japan? I don't know about Japan sorry, but in Nara it is very common to see Tenri members from Nara to Ikoma to Yoshino mountains.

I believe it's looked upon as real religion. Once a year, thousands and thousands of people flock to Tenri city for the pilgrimage from all parts of Japan and all over the world. I like attending the festival they have shortly after.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby AJBryant » Fri 04.06.2007 12:44 pm

As I said, I'm in a curmudgeonly mood right now. I'm sure when you're faced with a mother in a 24 hour medical unit with onset Alzheimer's and a declaration of incompetency and piles of legal papers to go through, you'll all be sweetness and light.

For the record, there *is* a good way to ask questions, and a *bad* way. If you don't get that I'm explaining the good way (tell 'em where you've already been), and the OP was the bad way (blanket question), then it's your problem.

Also, for the record, I know very little of Tenrikyo, and since the OP had made no indication that it had occurred to him to do so, directing him to Google *was* helping, no? I just did it in a way that would make an impression on him and *others* reading this thread.

Now, if anyone can point to anything I said that was specifically rude to anyone but an Emo, I'ld appreciate it. Cause I'm thinking some pretty rude things right now.

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Fri 04.06.2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Tempermental » Fri 04.06.2007 1:16 pm

AJBryant,

First of all, don't bring your problems to the forum with you. If anything, you should be thinking happy thoughts or you'll just have a meltdown.

Secondly, you practically called this person an idiot and you wrongly ASSUMED that he/she had not already done some research. One of the wonders of the English language is the sheer volume of information that can be expressed subtly in very few words.

BTW, the world does not begin and end with Google. There are still a world of sources for information. And not everything you read online is true so reaching out to others that know first hand, which happens to be the whole point behind forums, can often be a more accurate source.

So don't be so closed minded and practice a little kindness now and then. It might also help if you pulled that stick out of your ass. Hope your mom's ok.
Tempermental

Postby jrivera » Fri 04.06.2007 1:21 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't aware I needed to provide a bibliography for all the resources I used when I said "From what I've read..." to make it clear that I've looked it up already.

Define blanket question because it's not like I randomly said "So tell me about cheese".

I thought this was the culture forum. Exploring culture is itself broad especially when asking for the general consensus/feelings about the religion.

Assuming that I asked the question the "bad way" (which I didn't) because someone else understood what I was asking... I would say that there is a good way to respond and a bad way to respond.

Posting a picture calling a relatively new member a dummy is which?

I'm sorry for your mother's unfortunate situation but maybe you should take a break from administrating a forum instead using whatever perceived high holiness power you have to be condescending and badger people interested in Japanese culture.

Are all administrators like this??? I'm really turned off to this site now.
jrivera

Postby caroline » Fri 04.06.2007 2:08 pm

AJBryant,

First of all, don't bring your problems to the forum with you. If anything, you should be thinking happy thoughts or you'll just have a meltdown.

Why not? there is person answering you behind the post; and if you asked that the OP is treated like one, don't forget the admin may too.

Someone taking the time to explain why he answered quite shortly to a question doesn't deserve that kind of comment.

and why patronizing with the happy thoughts? !Are you always happy and agreable? And how happy thoughts help you solve your problems? No confronting them?
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby Tempermental » Fri 04.06.2007 2:17 pm

You're right in a way. I can't image what he may be going through but this isn't a forum for people to share their feelings and blow off others seeking answers. If I sat around all day brooding over my problems, we all have them, I'd be one miserable person. Fine, he's having a hard day. But that's no reason to take it out on others. He even refuses to believe his response was uncalled for. Try putting a smile on your face, even when things are looking down, and you'll be surprised how things don't look so hopeless anymore.
Tempermental

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan