Although I agree that his reply here probably
wasn't the most appropriate, given the
circumstances I think it's not fair that
you would make too much out of it and
about the nature of administrators on this
forum. This is my opinion as an active
reader and random poster for almost
two years at this forum.

Point taken but this is my 11th post on this site in total.
And 7 of the 11 posts originated in this thread so I don't have much to base this experience on. It certainly wasn't a warm welcome to the forum!

I wasn't trying to make too much out of it but it is hard to be sympathetic when his explanation still included a backhanded insult.

I hope we can move past this and discuss the original topic and have a more pleasant experience.
I'd like to thank Kagemaru for the input. This was more along the lines of info that I was looking for.
Last edited by jrivera on Fri 04.06.2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrivera

RE: Tenrikyo

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 04.06.2007 4:20 pm

Tempermental wrote:
AJBryant,

You're acting like a real prick! People come here to get answers. How about you answer this person's question and if you don't know the answer, then leave it alone. What kind of example are you setting for others who use this forum?

Dickhead!

i will just point out here that your own credibility shot down the hole when you decided to use this as the way to respond..

when asking or declaring someone do something, like act more civil, it is usually appropriate to act civil in return. if you want a cat fat, this is usually the method to do such..

as for me, and many others you will find that being on this forum that as Tony stated, there are many who are either too lazy to or not well enough informed to do their own research. as such after 10 or 11 of the same posts, one gets frustrated and a bit put to the leash so to speak..

we do have a rules section and FAQ section and the vast majority of first time posts don't bother to look at them.

now that we know the OP actually did a bit, it will help us determine which way to move on with this.. but the name calling, to be quite frank, is about as immature as I have seen. Whether you think the admin fits that profile or not. http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=138 from the rules.. read #3. even though Tony was coming down on the OP he was not at all offensive. He was blunt, but never once did he say, "hey dummy, next time, try to be smart and do ....."

so, as we have all had a moment and let the electricity set it and dispel, let's learn from it, move on and enjoy the rest of our experience here at TJP...
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Kdar » Fri 04.06.2007 4:27 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
..but never once did he say, "hey dummy, next time, try to be smart and do ....."

This image that his post, pretty much told that, and even more.

One image can tell a lot more then just words.
Last edited by Kdar on Fri 04.06.2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 04.06.2007 4:29 pm

jrivera wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm learning Japanese at Tenri Cultural Institute here in NY.
They don't preach or try to convert anyone to Tenrikyo which made me all the more curious about the religion.

From what I read it was once consider a sect of Shintoism but really has little in common with it.

Do they have a large presence in Japan?

I could easily ask these questions at the institute but I was hoping for an outside opinion (one who does not practice the religion but knows about it).

Thanks

From my dealings with tenrikyo in Japan, they are a small sect.. some tend to think they are shinto, but their teachings are not.. there are similarities but your instructors will tell you they are a seperatist founded by the Lady. She was "infused" with the power of God and therefore became diety..

your instructors will also tellyou they are not converting, but everything you are learning is based on their teachings. they use their scripture, books and refernece as a point to teach.

so, to answer your one question.... they do not have a large presence in Japan.. in fact from what i can discern they have more members outside of Japan.. oddly enough. ( i read my stats wrong.. there are more members inside Japan with many throughout the world.. ).. but with only 3 million members.. (claims based on 1995 numbers.. nothing any newer to research that i could find) that would not be a large presence even in new york.. ..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Fri 04.06.2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan