Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bad Reactions to Japanese Food

Bad Reactions to Japanese Food

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Bad Reactions to Japanese Food

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 10:54 pm

chikara wrote:
Ship's doctor dies after dinner of blowfish

That's the ultimate bad reaction to Japanese food.

Does anyone else remember "The Simpsons" episode where Homer thought he ate bad fugu and was going to die?

You know, nothing tastes that good. I L-O-V-E chocolate, but I wouldn't eat it if it might kill me. So part of the reason people eat fugu has to be the thrill from the possible danger.

BTW, very funny typo in the article:
"Blowfish contain deadly poison in their organs and in Japan, where they are considered a particular delicacy, only licensed cooks with special kills are allowed to prepare them."

furin wrote:
Have you ever tried くさや before?

JDIC defines that as a "thatched hut". Why do I think this is not what your talking about? I mean I've heard of eating gingerbread houses, but not thatch. :)
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby furin » Mon 05.28.2007 11:00 pm

くさや is a Japanese style salted-dried fish. I like it but a strong smell.
Japanese wikipedia says: 都心や外国でくさやを焼いていたところ、「死体を焼いている臭いがする」と警察に通報され大騒ぎになったという逸話もある。 :o

But I like it.
Last edited by furin on Mon 05.28.2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furin

Postby lalaith » Tue 05.29.2007 9:00 am

furin wrote:
くさや is a Japanese style salted-dried fish.

I've never had any kind of salted fish. In the 19th century salted fish was common-place as fish had to be dried, pickled or salted for transport. Now you can transport fresh or frozen fish and salted fish is a rarity. I understand it can be bought in gourmet food shops -- and like all items at the gourmet food shop it's expensive. I would love to try it someday. What kind of fish is くさや? I think the most common fish that used to salted here was cod, as in reading books about the 19th century homesteading movement salt cod is the type that's always mentioned.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Kashin » Tue 06.19.2007 7:15 pm

Well, even though I'm fine, and it wasn't too bad, I did have an unpleasant experience today. So my friend and I were bored, we had some extra cash, and we decided to go to a local Japanese Restaurant/Sushi Bar. (He had never been, I hadn't been in a while) so we go there, order our rolls, (He had Unagi, I had the special of the day with a neat roll with what I think was bacon or something in it and some sashimi) and ate them happily. By this point, I was pretty full on miso and my sushi. Then Toyo-san the chef asked us if he could make us a special piece he was trying out. I think he called it a Yamaebi. It was your typical, pillow of rice with a shrimp on top, along with avocado and ...well...mayonnaise. So he made it, and I was the first to eat it.
Though I typically enjoy trying new things (especially Japanese) and though it tasted good, this piece was huge! It barley fit in my mouth (I gagged on it a little). Not only that I was very full already, and...well...mayonnaise is not my cup of tea. Just the full belly, the gag reflex in my overstuffed mouth, and...well...mayonnaise as the dominant flavor all combined to a very unpleasant feeling. So I quickly downed it with my coke, and swished a little bit in my mouth to kill the...well...mayonnaise flavor. Luckily I didn't lose face in front of Toyo-san. I hurried to the restroom just to get out of public disgrace, and LUCKILY I didn't get physically sick, but I felt very miserable. And you know when you're nauseous, but you can't help but think of food? I was thinking, what if the sashimi wasn't fresh? What if it turns out i'm allergic to something? What if I react this way to natto when I finally try it? I sat there a while, trying to supress my desire to throw up $9 worth of food. Finally I felt a little better so I was able to thank Toyo-san and walk out the door...but I felt ill for the next few hours.

All in all, I think what made me even more sick was the fact that I almost threw up a chef's kindness. I never like to make people feel bad, and I had to try and be polite and composed. And I'm not really interested in eating mayonnaise for a while.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby KIDDCHAOS » Tue 06.19.2007 7:48 pm

i only ever had ramen. now i know i should keep meds w/ me 4 just in case...
(\__/) lol i think this bunny is so cute
(=\'.\'=) so i coppyed it!
(\")_(\")
KIDDCHAOS

Postby Zinzo » Tue 06.19.2007 8:14 pm

Once for lunch, some kid in my class brought a sandwich with some kind of meat and a big load of wasabi. Thing is, he ate it like it was no problem, which made me cringe a little bit. Does that count? ;)
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
:D
Zinzo

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 06.19.2007 8:25 pm

One Tochigi local food that is really foul is shimotsukare. It's made from salmon heads and leftover mash from sake brewing. It literally smells like vomit, and it looks like vomit as well. Natto I have no problem with, but shimotsukare is truly wretched.

EDIT: Haha, the discussion page for the wikipedia article has this amusing part criticizing something that used to be in the article:
* 「人間の嘔吐物」に異常なまでに酷似しているという致命的な難点から

ちょっと、阜サがひどくありませんか?好きな人もいるのですから。 秀の介 09:22 2003年11月9日 (UTC)
外見のみに言及している阜サであり、特定の先入観を生む可柏ォがあったので削除しました。 赤鉛筆 2004年7月26日 (月) 11:34 (UTC)

IPユーザー22:26 59.157.6.249により「嘔吐物」の記述が復活していたのを修正しました。食品に相応しくない阜サですが、ドリアンやしもつかれのように特徴がある食品は悪戯の対象になりやすいようです。--Takora D 2007年1月5日 (金) 13:29 (UTC)
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Tue 06.19.2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Hatori » Tue 06.19.2007 10:25 pm

At my birthday party my best friend made sushi and she bought wasabi paste. Since I think I'm invincible, which isn't good, I squeezed like half the container in my mouth. IT WAS LIVING HELL IN MY MOUTH! lol. :D ;)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.20.2007 8:36 am

your mouth? it wasn't wasabi then.. now, if you had complained about a sudden clearing of your sinuses, then I might listen a bit more.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Wed 06.20.2007 11:09 am

trust me, if you use enough you mouth hurts too. I used to swear that wasabi never made my mouth hurt, so I used a big gob one day, my mouth finally hurt, of course my nostrils hurt a lot more.

over all, wasabi isn't really all that hot.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.20.2007 1:12 pm

no, it isn't hot at all. however, the feeling one gets in ones sinuses is enough to make you think someone lit a fire in your gut and it's burning down the house..

even with a mouthful of wasabi, i can't ever remember my mouth hurting, however I do remember the fact that it burned my sinuses something fierce.
two_heads_talking

Postby Tspoonami » Wed 06.20.2007 7:08 pm

I once dropped an entire piece of sushi into wasabi, and then ate it. The people at the tables around me laughed at me...

But I love the zing of wasabi. It's nice to have something 'spicy' that doesn't make your tongue burn, though I do love the spiciness of capsaicin.

lalaith wrote:
Tspoonami posted a response in Japanese, and I passed the cursor over it. Not an exact translation, but the gist of it was that his head had exploded. I laughed so hard, that for the first time today, I forgot how much my stomach was hurting from that Japanese snack yesterday.

I'm glad I was able to make you forget your pain for a little bit.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby SirFirestorm » Wed 06.20.2007 9:12 pm

wasabi is a weird kind of hot though. It flares through your nose and makes you sad panda face. :o
SirFirestorm

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.21.2007 12:22 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
your mouth? it wasn't wasabi then.. now, if you had complained about a sudden clearing of your sinuses, then I might listen a bit more.. lol

Well, it just huuuurt.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan