Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Earthquakes

Postby Hatori » Wed 07.04.2007 1:02 am

keatonatron wrote:
Hatori wrote:
I'm totally confused.
T.T
But highschool is where they teach the worse and I question authority often. XD

Perhaps you have a highly distorted view of reality, and so the 90% factual information you receive at school is perceived to be 90% BS.

I think I know what America's education problems stem from: students simply don't believe their teachers. Where did this lack of trust come from? And if you had no evidence in the first place that what they are saying isn't true, why did you stop believing?

Okay, I know it's been a while that I've checked this thread, but in response...

I just don't like how school is today. Everything is too "touchy, touchy, feely, feely". EVERYTHING'S OFFENSIVE. That's what you hear from a girl raised in a largely based Republican family. :p
But other than that, it's that I just don't enjoy being in school. I get the good grades, but I just don't like how we learn and stuff. The only classes that are being taught right is probably health class, foreign languages, health classes, certain artistic classes or home ec (that type of stuff), and definately math. Also when we work with grammar and vocabulary too.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 07.04.2007 5:27 am

This has nothing to do with Japanese culture. Please leave your daily journal entries on myspace, okay? ;)
keatonatron

Postby shiohigari » Wed 07.04.2007 5:45 am

Back to the topic..... Earthquakes.....
I heard that in Japan people prefer to live on the 4th floor of an apartment building as this is the safest as far as earthquakes go. The story goes that if you're any lower and there's the chance of the building collapsing on you and if you live higher than the 4th floor, the building sways too much. Sounds weird, but Can anyone verify this information?!?
shiohigari

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 07.04.2007 8:20 am

shiohigari wrote:
I heard that in Japan people prefer to live on the 4th floor of an apartment building as this is the safest as far as earthquakes go. The story goes that if you're any lower and there's the chance of the building collapsing on you and if you live higher than the 4th floor, the building sways too much. Sounds weird, but Can anyone verify this information?!?

That flies in the face of the common notion that Japanese buildings don't even have a 4th floor.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Shirasagi » Wed 07.04.2007 10:03 am

Yeah. The 4th floor is probably the last place a Japanese person wants to be when it comes to earthquakes.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Kagemaru » Wed 07.04.2007 10:37 am

I love the 地震体験車・・・
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Hatori » Wed 07.04.2007 1:02 pm

keatonatron wrote:
This has nothing to do with Japanese culture. Please leave your daily journal entries on myspace, okay? ;)

I know, but I just had to share my two cents on this because lots of people replied and I haven't checked this thread for a while. :D Anyways, I hate myspace. It's stupid. I just have one for the sake of having one. Also... I put my blogs on [url]gamespot.com[/url] LOL!

---

I heard in Japan that they have this devices underneath buildings that when the earthquake comes the devices keep everything in place. It's hard to explain what I mean, so I sound crazy anyways.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Infidel » Thu 07.05.2007 12:02 am

Hatori wrote:
Anyways, I hate myspace. It's stupid. I just have one for the sake of having one.

This tells me a lot about you.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ghosthacker » Thu 07.05.2007 5:52 am

shiohigari wrote:

The chances of a building falling on you during an earthquake have more to do with the construction of the building and the soil it sets on then on how high it is. During the San Francisco earthquake of '89 many 2 stories houses collapsed out in the Marina district because the ground they where built on liquefied during the quake. Other houses just a few blocks away got only a few cracks in their walls. Many brick buildings no higher then 3 stories had whole walls fall into the street while bigger "steel and glass" monsters just swayed back and forth.

Also if one does fall to the ground with you in it, your chance of living to tell about it is mostly just luck.

Earthquakes are scary,no matter where you are when they happen, you can hear them coming and, when they hit, they sometimes build up to be worst then you though they would be at first, by the time you get your mind to working they can be over.

Your best bet is to spend time learning what to do when they hit and , if the quake is a big one, what to do after.
Last edited by ghosthacker on Thu 07.05.2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan