Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Heating sake?

Heating sake?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Heating sake?

Postby Paragon » Fri 05.11.2007 2:44 am

What are some appropriate ways (including lengths of time) to heat sake (from room tempurature)?

I tried hot sake at a restaurant recently, and it's even better than room tempurature sake--I don't think I can go back. ;)

Now if only I could find some shouchou. . .
ワツ アップ マイ ニッガ?
Paragon

RE: Heating sake?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.11.2007 10:12 am

I think you heat the water.. not the sake.. heat, at least direct heat, will burn the alchohol out.. (at least that is what we do when cooking anyways)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Othela » Fri 05.11.2007 10:57 am

I'm pretty certain you put the bottle in water, heated to just below boiling point, but I'm not sure about the temperature or time limit. It probably varies depending on the size of the bottle.
Disclaimer: There are rare moments in which I speak like an expert. In those moments, you MUST NOT TRUST ME. No matter HOW convincing I may seem...
Othela

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 05.11.2007 11:04 am

The only way I ever saw it done was to add sake to heated water.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby lalaith » Fri 05.11.2007 1:28 pm

Boy, you can find just about anything on the internet.

This article covers heating sake. It's not very flattering to the kind of sake that needs to be heated, though. Apparently, the good stuff is served cold.
http://www.langara.bc.ca/prm/2000/Sake/sake.html
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.11.2007 1:57 pm

lalaith, the more expensive the sake, the colder it is served.. in fact there are sake bars where the most expensive stuff is served ina chilled room where the glasses, bottles and the tables are cold ....

I think this is also done with vodka...

however, all of that is stuff I read, since I don't drink alchohol, I really can't tell you one way or the other..
two_heads_talking

Postby lalaith » Fri 05.11.2007 2:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
lalaith, the more expensive the sake, the colder it is served.. in fact there are sake bars where the most expensive stuff is served ina chilled room where the glasses, bottles and the tables are cold ....

I think this is also done with vodka...

however, all of that is stuff I read, since I don't drink alchohol, I really can't tell you one way or the other..

I'm not much of a drinker either. I think it's been two years or more since I last had a drink.

I've seen that on news reports with vodka.

Had never heard that about sake. The only thing I knew about sake was from that James Bond film in which sake was supposed to be served at blood temperature. Yet another thing Ian Fleming got wrong about Japan along with what sumo wrestlers do with their male parts.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby AJBryant » Fri 05.11.2007 4:00 pm

I'm a great fan of chilled quality sake.

I particularly like Otoko Yama. Mmmmm.

As to vodka -- in fact, serious vodka fans keep their vodka bottles in the freezer. That's where mine is now.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby caroline » Fri 05.11.2007 6:16 pm

As to vodka -- in fact, serious vodka fans keep their vodka bottles in the freezer. That's where mine is now

I didn't even it could be kept somewhere else! Though I can't be described as a vodka fan.
But learnt a lot about good and cold sake!
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby tanuki » Fri 05.11.2007 9:54 pm

I usually see vodka stored at room temperature. But I'm not much of a drinker, really. I practically drink only beer. Cold, of course. ;)

Eww, hot beer.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Sat 05.12.2007 4:28 am

I usually see vodka stored at room temperature.

That's storing. I'm talking about keeping it ready to drink. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 05.12.2007 2:54 pm

i used to keep vodka in the freezer, which made some of the cheaper brands more palatable for doing shots. now that i buy better vodka, i haven't had the urge to keep it in the freezer. maybe i'll try the freezer again with the good stuff to see if i've been missing anything.

i've probably tried about 30 different vodkas in the past year, my town has a large Russian and Armenian population, and once i visited a liquor store (instead of a grocery store) i was *amazed* at the variety of vodka that they carried, hundreds of varieties, a lot of them with labels that i can't read... mmmmmm....
zengargoyle

Postby sei » Sat 05.12.2007 3:43 pm

Heh... only tasted vodka with other types of drinks, a mix. With straberry juice, and another one with coke and coconut juice, both great, and of course, both served cold. =P Today i believe i'll try a different one. Or maybe 2 different ones... am feeling like trying out. ^^
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby spin13 » Sat 05.12.2007 4:08 pm

tanuki wrote:
I usually see vodka stored at room temperature. But I'm not much of a drinker, really. I practically drink only beer. Cold, of course. ;)

Eww, hot beer.

You do realize there is a range between cold and hot, right? There are certain beers which are quite delicious when served at room temperature; particularly when served straight from a cask. I can't think of any national (my native US) or international brand names right now, but I assure you they exist and are quite plentiful. Expensive, perhaps, but plentiful and quite worth it.

However, while I appreciate that Kilkenny is much more popular in Japanese Irish-style pubs than in many American Irish-style pubs, it is not the end-all, be-all of beers and I'm still looking for a bar that serves nitrogenated Belhaven or McEwans or any hand-pumped cask ale. And regardless of serving style, while I've found stouts, I have yet to see a good porter in this otherwise fair country.

When will people learn that Guiness, while not a bad beverage, is not exceptional and certainly not worth 900+ JPY per pint*?

-Eric

*Though I will most Japanese bartenders credit for their clover-pouring skills; much better than most Americans.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby tanuki » Sat 05.12.2007 4:57 pm

By "hot beer" I meant "at room temperature". I don't think anyone in their right mind would heat beer. :) Would "warm" be a better word?

The concept of "room temperature" is also prone to vary, I guess. Twentysomething degrees Celsius?

All Bolivian beers I've had taste awful when at room temperature. I have had, however, some German beer that tasted good at room temperature. And tasty mulled wine which I've never had again since I came back from there.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan