Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Traveling to Japan

Traveling to Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Traveling to Japan

Postby TheIrishSin » Thu 05.17.2007 3:06 pm

I may be traveling to Japan this summer (Late june-late july), and I am kinda lost where to start...
I'll probably be there 2 weeks to a month and not even sure where I'm landing yet lol.
Any suggestions where to visit, or any tips on cool things.

;)Other then "Visit Tokyo! Visit Kyoto! Visit Osaka!" lol. ;)

Even tips on some little mannerism's would help :D
Last edited by TheIrishSin on Thu 05.17.2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheIrishSin

RE: Traveling to Japan

Postby clay » Thu 05.17.2007 3:19 pm

If you plan to make 2 or more big-ish trips while there, I highly recommend getting a JR Rail Pass.

Normally, when we go we stay around Fukui, but one time we did some major traveling from Tokyo to Fukuoka and that Rail Pass was well worth it.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby TheIrishSin » Thu 05.17.2007 3:25 pm

I plan to move all about and get a good feel for the amazing country. I want to visit anywhere I can, and everywhere lol. Although I have heard about the JR Rail Pass and I'll be sure to get one!

Thank you.

P.S. About how fast does the JR go?
Last edited by TheIrishSin on Thu 05.17.2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheIrishSin

Postby clay » Thu 05.17.2007 3:32 pm

The JR Pass is good for a 'free' ride (after you buy the 1 week or 2 week pass) on ANY JR train, bus or subway, I believe. We used it to ride on the Shinkansen (except the bullet train called Nozomi) and on buses and local trains in Tokyo. There are a few exceptions and I think you have to sit in the non reserved area, but it is still a super deal.

I met a gentleman in his 70s years ago on a shinkansen. He had bought a JR Pass and was going all over Japan.

Read the JR site linked above. I think it has all the restrictions in English.

EDIT: But not all trains/buses are JR. You have to make sure you find the JR stations in order to use the pass. I think we bought a 300 yen ticket for a train ride to a nearby JR station, but other than that all our transportation was paid for beforehand.
Last edited by clay on Thu 05.17.2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby caroline » Fri 05.18.2007 12:23 pm

Clay wrote :
The JR Pass is good for a 'free' ride (after you buy the 1 week or 2 week pass) on ANY JR train, bus or subway, I believe. We used it to ride on the Shinkansen (except the bullet train called Nozomi) and on buses and local trains in Tokyo. There are a few exceptions and I think you have to sit in the non reserved area, but it is still a super deal.

Well, with a JR Pass, you may even book a seat, and it's free, so you don't have to sit in the non reserved area - or look for a seat, and change your reservation if you need to. And it's free of charge.
The only problem is that you need to speak enough japanese to state where you want to go and when...

As for places not to miss, I recommend Miyajima (not on weekends or holidays, though); and for "cool things", do try the onsen (though hot)
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby keatonatron » Fri 05.18.2007 10:01 pm

This is a really nice and cheap hostel in Kyoto. I've stayed there a few times:

http://www.gojo-guest-house.com/gojo-gu ... ojo-e.html
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby shymomo » Tue 06.05.2007 12:27 am

If you stay for two weeks, maybe you could do:
Tokyo->Yokohama->Kamakura->Kyoto->Osaka->Kobe->Nara->Hiroshima->Miyajima->Himeji->Tokyo

Kamakura and Nara are both famous for the big budda, so you may just wanna pick one.
Miyajima (floating tori and the shrine) is very beautiful. You could stay overnight in Hiroshima, and then visit Himeji for the famous castle.

By this way, JR pass would be useful.

If you plan to stay for a month or so, you could continue your trip to Kyushu, visit Nagasaki, Hakata, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, etc.

BTW, on August, ppl start to climb up to the Mount Fuji, if it fits your schedule, it would be fun (& tiring), just remember to bring a warm jacket with you, since it is quite cold on the top.

Summer is not a good season for the hot spring, or otherwise you could visit Hakone or Nikko as well.
shymomo

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan