Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anyone know a good japanese cell phone service?

Anyone know a good japanese cell phone service?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Anyone know a good japanese cell phone service?

Postby Myuka » Fri 05.18.2007 6:23 pm

I'm going to Japan as an exchange student and my mom is flipping out because I won't be able to call her sooo I need to get a phone before I go if I can. Cheapest my mom found(she's not very good with computers) is like one with a $500 deposit!!! Anyway so I need to keep looking but if you know any please let me know.
Myuka

RE: Anyone know a good japanese cell phone service?

Postby Falka » Fri 05.18.2007 8:12 pm

Can't you just communicate via Skype? When I was going to Moscow for an Russian language course I was thinking just like you. But then somebody told me that it is common now to communicate through Internet. I was thinking that Russia is a bit of a redneck country, though it is my country`s neighbour :) I didn't mean to offend anyone, but that's why it's good to travel - to see the places you hear about ith your own eyes.
Anyway, I would recomend using Internet, which, my friend told me, is one of the speedest in the world:)

Good luck!
Falka

Postby keatonatron » Fri 05.18.2007 10:02 pm

You should be able to get a phone fairly quickly once you arrive in Japan. Trying to get one before you come would be insanely expensive.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 05.19.2007 4:01 am

I would recommend buying Au and with their student discount. However I do not recommend you calling alot to foreign countries, as it will be very expensive.
Using skype as mentioned earlier is a very good method. Free for both sides, only thing needed is a computer with internet connection on both sides.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 05.19.2007 4:36 am

Skype, Skype, or Skype for international calls. Softbank for domestic cell phone service.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 05.19.2007 6:07 am

Wouldn't international phone cards also work? Not sure if it would be cheaper than the skype international rate, but thats the first thing that came to mind.
SirFirestorm

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 05.19.2007 6:55 am

Assuming the OP's mother has a computer and internet connection.....what is cheaper than "free"?

And even calling landline phones is practically free. Something like under 2 yen per minute. Folks like me who remember when international calls were more on the order of a couple of dollars per minute can be excused if we consider the current rate as being so close to free as to make the distinction moot.

Also, OP, leaving aside the specific for the more general for a moment.....tell your mother to learn to chill. It isn't as though she'd be able to do anything for you if you got in trouble all of a sudden. At least nothing that is going to be facilitated by having you on the other end of a cell phone connection.
Mike Cash

Postby caroline » Sat 05.19.2007 8:38 am

I humbly suppose it's on topic.
There is two of us going to Japan this summer for one month, and we won't be always together, but in need of communication when apart.
We are thinking to buy after we arrive 2 prepaid cell-phones if not too expensive (last time, we rented, but it was just for 10 days and it was quite expensive); you spoke of AU or Softbank, but would they work for that? Or any other idea?
I had not come with any other than going to the nearest ビックカメラ and try to get the best bargain I could...
Thanks in advance.

T
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby colind » Sat 05.19.2007 10:02 am

If I remember correctly, you can get a prepaid phone for about 10000 yen. Then you go to the コンビニ and pay for say 3000 yen worth of calls.
colind

Postby TsukimiyaAyu » Sat 05.19.2007 10:13 am

Docomo? >_>

Also, yeah, skype is probably the best option, if you call home a lot from Japan with a cell phone service I'd imagine you'd end up paying through the nose. Man, I can't wait for when I go next year.
僕の下手な日本語を許して! 一月から勉強していた

嘘だぁッ!
TsukimiyaAyu

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 05.19.2007 10:29 am

thought you said in the other thread, you would never go to Japan...
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby TsukimiyaAyu » Sat 05.19.2007 10:31 am

What? Where? Uso deshou. Of course I'll go to Japan, I've already made plans with two other people to go summer of next year!
僕の下手な日本語を許して! 一月から勉強していた

嘘だぁッ!
TsukimiyaAyu

Postby caroline » Sat 05.19.2007 1:47 pm

NocturnalOcean said :
thought you said in the other thread, you would never go to Japan...

Not adressed to me, I guess. But nevertheless...
I indeed said I would not live in Japan permanently, but certainly not "never going", since that's been done and is planned to be done again quite soon.
There is a large difference between the two, believe me : I can't imagine living in Japan, intented as to spend the rest of my life, (too many constraints, to make it short, very short indeed), but do really enjoy to be there for a limited amount of time.
Is that consistent enough? :)

colind
Thanks for your answer; seems indeed the best way.
Last edited by caroline on Sat 05.19.2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby Myuka » Sat 05.19.2007 2:34 pm

Yeah thanks for the advice it helped a lot. I probably will just wait until I get their and check out cell phone prices and decide if I should really get one. Calling cards is probably how I'll do it. I also thought I may need a cell phone because I'm not good with directions and if I get lost it'd be easier to call my host family or a friend for some help...I'm looking at Skype right now and I'll consider everything you said so thank-you ^_^
Myuka

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 05.19.2007 6:02 pm

How do you folks think we gaijins got along in Japan back in the bad ol' days before the internet and cell phones?
Mike Cash

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan